PDA

View Full Version : Black bear harvested in PG. Looking for insight.

Boner
05-13-2011, 07:05 PM
I got a black bear today in 7-15, nothing fancy, just some food. It's a bit over 5 feet long, tip to tail.

This afternoon, I went out in 7-15 to look for a black bear, get some rounds into my 35 whelen, and to break in a new 300 win mag I recently purchased at the gun show.

I have a new special spot, hopefully the road hunters won't find it this fall. It's a not quite deactivated spur road leading into a large 1 year old cut block. The road forks in the block, and there is 2 flat levels to it, with a 30 meter slope in the middle between the flats, with a swamp on the bottom.

I went as far as I could without chewing up the road, which is the entrance to the block, and what do I see 300 yards away, but a solitary black bear walking across it.

I'm not much for long shots, and there was a fair amount of brush, so I decided to go in on foot, which was my original plan for the afternoon anyways.

I jumped out with my 35 whelen and walked after it. The wind was in my favour, it was gusting probably up to 30 km/hr towards me from the bear's direction. The bear was walking on an angle away from me, but luckily, closer to one of the spur roads. I didn't even put on my mud boots, I still had on my sneakers. I crept in on the spur road it was aiming to cross, and managed to walk within 25 yards of it.

I'm not even sure it sensed me, for sure it couldn't smell me the wind was so strong in the opposite direction. I squeezed off a standing shot with a 250 grain factory remington bullet. With a broadside shot to just behind the right shoulder, the bear dropped instantly.

After it was field dressed, I used my ice fishing skimmer to get it back to the truck, turns out it's a great idea to use a skimmer for this purpose. It's easy to clean, and it floats on the huge puddles on the roads I had to walk.
In the end, I have a bear that i'm going to turn into burger tonight, for sausage later.

I skinned out the hide as best as I could, and salted it with non iodized coarse salt. I'm still working on the paws and the head. I learned from a book, so bear with me.:-?

I was wondering if an experienced bear hunter in the hart highlands or around the bowl would like to come over tomorrow (saturday), have a look at my rug, and give me some pointers about how to skin out the hide better for next time. There's beers to drink, and maybe a few bs stories to share!

Like I say, I learned from a book, so go easy on me, I need the practice. I got it for the meat anyways.:mrgreen:

Crys Shorty
05-13-2011, 07:23 PM
PM sent.....

gerrygoat
05-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Congrats on your bear, please post some pics if you can. I have used my 35 Whelen to shoot a few bears, as you found out it works well :) good luck with your skinning and grinding this weekend.

Boner
05-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the advice, I now have the confidence I needed to tackle a bigger project!