PDA

View Full Version : Back-Stop Question

IronNoggin
05-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Been too busy to do much with the crossbow of late. But I'll have a couple weeks off the pond coming up and am wanting to get out a try on a Blackie for it's first.

Before that I obviously need some sighting in efforts and some serious practice. Too damn frugal (working towards a new-to-me 4x4) to buy one of those overly pricey backstops, preferring instead to sink any little extra into toys for the bow itself...

So, I am hoping someone here can answer this question for me: Has anyone ever tried one of the large blocks of compressed peat moss as an arrow stop? Did this successfully with my compound bow, but alas my buggered up shoulder won't let me run that any more.

The bow in question is an Excaliber Ibex, supposedly flinging them out ~ 300 feet per second. Chiefly will use the target heads, don't want to bugger up more than one or two of the broadheads on targets once I've become comfortable with shooting it.

Will the peat block stop these arrows? Or should I start thinking of something else?

Any and all information Greatly Appreciated! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

huntcoop
05-13-2011, 10:49 AM
I used one of those large coffee bean sacks stuffed with that saran wrap stuff the stores use to wrap around pallets of groceries etc., worked very well with NO pass throughs.

The Dawg
05-13-2011, 10:52 AM
I use a cardboard box stuffed with carpet underlay. Works great so far :)

Bow Walker
05-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Peat moss should stop your practice/field tipped bolts, but it might not stop your first few shots with your broadhead - until the broadhead gets a bit dull that is, then it should be fine.

When testing broadheads I generally only use one head and dedicate that one for target practice, preferring to leave the other broadheads nice and sharp ready for hunting. Try to spin your hunting bolts to make sure that they do not wobble as wobbling will make them fly all over the place.

IronNoggin
05-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks Muchly Gentlemen! Very much appreciate the hands-on advice.
Will likely go with the over-sized block of peat (Missuz works at the right store :twisted:) and back that with a half dozen layers of cardboard and finally a strip of plywood.

Great advice on the broadheads Bow Walker! Taken to heart.
Already painstakingly checked each shaft over, and thankfully they all appear to be "arrow straight". :mrgreen:

Lectha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog

Ruger4
05-16-2011, 06:39 AM
use practice broadheads in whatever grain you plan on using for hunting

Bow Walker
05-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Yup - that goes without saying.

If your arrows are flying good with field tips it stands to reason that they should do the same with the same weighted broadhead.

IronNoggin
05-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Appreciated the advice, and rather thought it was worth a follow-up:

We set up two of the larger compressed peat bags with a plywood backstop and accurately marked distances from 20 through 50 yards.

The target heads penetrated the first bag of peat, and into the second at all ranges inside 30 yards. At 40 yards they touched the second bag, and at 50 they stayed within.

Didn't try the broadhead (singular) until happy with the results with the other, then started at 30 yards. Hit the plywood through both bags. 4 times. Then stayed just shy of that. At 40 and 50 yards they stayed within the second bag on each occasion.

As for the bow, I'm pretty impressed. Cut the 10X ring on a 100yd rifle target every single time at fifty yards, and downright Zippy doing so.

Peat bags will now go into The Missuz garden.
All in all a rather inexpensive way to sight in the toy. Just wanted to express my appreciation for the insight. http://bestsmileys.com/cool/3.gif

Now to bring on Yogi http://bestsmileys.com/evil/3.gif

Cheers,
Nog