PDA

View Full Version : Big Buck Contest

CNE
08-08-2006, 07:58 PM
I see a Bear contest but why not a Buck contest???

mark
08-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Sooooo weird you start this thread, i was just thinking the same a few minutes ago! I vote we have a HBC "big buck contest" Categories for mulies, whiteys and blackies, typs and non-typs, and maybe a peoples choice category for most unusual rack! Lets hear some thoughts people as id really like to see this happen! :smile:

Brambles
08-08-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm in, get er done....

JohnS
08-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Sounds good! and What about archery too .....

CNE
08-08-2006, 09:00 PM
I say we buy into the the pot... winners get portion and rest to a charity.

Marc
08-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Maybe someone should ask the site admin first to see if it's ok with him.

CNE
08-08-2006, 09:02 PM
I figured you see it sooner or later Marc

Marc
08-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Let me think it over guys for now. We just finished one contest and I haven't gotten the prizes in the mail yet. I've got nothing to offer as of now for prizes so it would just be bragging rights.

Marc.

boonerbuck
08-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Well bragging rights are alright with me if things finish off complicated with your last contest. It's all about fun anyways.

...but if you convince Ford to give away an F350 4x4, I'll gladly accept that too. Do my share of the work for Corperate Canada and HBC.

huntwriter
08-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Marc - If you are interested in staging a buck contest here I might be able to swing something with a price. Please let me know per PM or e-mail how you decide and we can talk about it.;-)

CanAm500
08-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Im in, good way to kick off my first deer hunt (and hopefully first big game animal):smile:

pupper
08-08-2006, 10:28 PM
why doesnt everyone who wants in pitch in 5 bucks and the winners af each catagory gets a hbc hat with "2006 big buck champ" on it? as well as their user name of course.

maybe see if bowhunters superstore will throw in a prize?

overthetop
08-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Can we have a yout division? Thoughts? My kid's first year out.

Gateholio
08-08-2006, 10:57 PM
If you guys rememmber, we had a big discussion about contests not long after the bear contest started.

Alot of us came to the conclusion that contests were better when they focused on participation, and not on score- prizes woud be randomly drawn.

In short, a kid with his first spike has as much chance of winning the contest as the seasoned vetran who passes on all but the best.

I"ll try to find the thread, there were alot of good points brought up.:grin:

sealevel
08-09-2006, 04:21 AM
lets keep it simple just bragging rights . Gates there is no point to having a big buck contest if you are going the draw names for the winners.

Walksalot
08-09-2006, 05:36 AM
Here's a thought,while the contest winner may not be the biggest animal harvested the bigger animals harvested will get the most attention, this will be unavoidable. I know this is a contradiction in terms but I think, if given half a chance, it might just work.

Gateholio
08-09-2006, 08:23 AM
lets keep it simple just bragging rights . Gates there is no point to having a big buck contest if you are going the draw names for the winners.

Well, that is the point, actually. Make participation more important than score.

Think of it as a raffle. Your "entry form" to the raffle is a deer.:-P

Here is some discussion we had this spring about contests:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6109&highlight=contest

Bigbuckadams
08-09-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm in, if any prizes are awarded, random drawing would be the best idea I would think. Although, an F-350...couldn't afford the gas :eek: . A Ranger 4X4....maybe...lol. Lemme know folks!!!!

NEEHAMA
08-09-2006, 10:11 AM
big buck contest? you mine as well send me the prize and hat now!...lol
i'm in.

3kills
08-09-2006, 12:34 PM
i say if we do it we do what gatehouse said and have it as a raffle and ur deer is ur entry form type thing...that way there will be more people enterying.....

sealevel
08-09-2006, 04:28 PM
so why not just have a raffle if you just draw names why do you need a deer.if you don`t want to shoot a big buck don`t enter.

Bigbuckadams
08-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Okay, how's this. Bragging rights & a token prize ( hat,etc.) for biggest Typical & Non-Typical. If there are any prizes left, draw names randomly or do hidden scores. Either way, I'm in. Really, it only makes sense to award something for the biggest buck....in a Big Buck Contest:eek: .

Ozone
08-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Really, it only makes sense to award something for the biggest buck....in a Big Buck Contest:eek: .

Ok lets just call it a "Congrats you got a deer contest". I like the idea of random seletion instead of biggest is best.

Gilmore
08-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Well, that is the point, actually. Make participation more important than score.

Think of it as a raffle. Your "entry form" to the raffle is a deer.:-P

Here is some discussion we had this spring about contests:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6109&highlight=contest

Well if all I need is a deer, can it be a doe? I mean if your gonna have a Big Buck Contest and you don't need the biggest buck to win then why call it a big buck contest??

I remember the thread Clarke and as I'm sure you remember we have had the same discussions within our own club, but I disagree with most of the points raised. If somebody is gonna poach a monster buck to win a $15 dollar hat, even if it is a much coveted HBC hat, that person is already a poacher and was not made so by a silly little contest.

If were having a big buck contest where the biggest buck wins, no matter the prize, I'm in.

Chad

PS: Actually I'd be in either way, but that's my 2 cents.

Jelvis
08-09-2006, 05:44 PM
What about the Heaviest Field dressed Muley and or Whitetail, Must be wieghed by a Meatcutters scale with a witness present other than the shooter. signed sealed and delivered. Also a picture taken with a good quality Digital Camera. Prize after the 2006 season is final.

CNE
08-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Must be wieghed by a Meatcutters scale with a witness present other than the shooter.
I dont take my animals to the butcher.

Gateholio
08-09-2006, 05:50 PM
It's not about poaching, or ethics..It's about particiaption in a contest on this website.:D

IIRC Marc and I had a conversation after we started the bear contest, and we agreed that it would be mor eentertaining for the members of the forum if the contest was done in this manner.

Frankly, I think a kid (or any adult that is new to hunting) getting his/her first fork horn is a bigger trophy than a vetran hunter getting a record book buck...:cool:

We didn't call the Bear contest a "Big Bear" contest, we dont' need to call this a Big Buck, it could be the HBC Fall Deer Contest or whatever...:wink:

In any case, it's up to Marc, he owns the site.

chevy
08-09-2006, 08:48 PM
A buck contest is great but honestly i think if you shoot a buck then just being able to put your pic on this sight is a great enough honor, as it is, there's not many sights if any besides this one you can talk to people tell them your story and just be happy with a congrats good job thats all i want im sure everyone on this sight works hard for their deer as i do, although a nice HBC hat with your name on the back would be great but like i said this is better than nothing at all right

Gilmore
08-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Of course it's up to Marc and sorry if I came across as saying anything different.

I guess my point is not just this proposed contest, but contest's in general, including the one the PWA proposed. Hunting or otherwise, these days if someone does not have the same chance at winning as everyone else, regerdless of ability, the rest of us are being discriminatory.:eek: What happened to, may the best man win? Or for that matter best woman or child?

You won't very often hit a home run in little league in your first game, I didn't and neither did many others, but I got up and swung for the fences like everybody else. Is there anything wrong with that? I don't think so. I got out there just the same, and learned as I went along and one day eventually that homerun came.

On the other hand, my best friend did hit a home run in his first game and I also know a guy who at 26 shot his first deer, just happened to be 185+ record book mulie.:evil: We all had the same chance for both, for some the odds are better infact much better, but if your out there playing ball or hunting we've all got a chance.

Now for this type of contest having hidden scores and random prizes is a great idea the more ways to win something the better, but to say the "winner" was the person who brought in the 18" 3 point to me is just goofy.

Sorry for getting off topic and rambling, but sometimes I do that:lol:

Cheers, Chad

rrfred
08-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Perhaps a setup for the newbies and youth to share their stories would be an idea - like provide a story of the experience, few pics and then the hbc group could review submissions and vote for a winner of a token prize or two at seasons end. personally- not into the contest idea.

Gateholio
08-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Gilmore (if that is your real name)

Your points are taken, and I agree with many of them. Our recent culture has fostered a "everyones a winner" attitude, which makes people UNDER achieve, since they knwo that whatever they do, they will get a pat on the back, whereas not too long ago, you had to ACHIEVE at sports and/or math/english/science to get that pat on the back. SO it made you WANT to achieve, where the *new* attitude makes you want to underachieve, since it doens't matter anyway...

But you are missing *the* point, as most butthead farmers do. (THey also miss sheep, as some chefs do, but that is another story):cool:

HBC woudl like to encourage participation int he contest, rather than big numbers.

There is no doubt that the guy or gal that gets the monster buck is going to have great recognition. We are all gonna OOOH and AHHH about that big buck. Bragging rights *will* be avaiable.

But we also dont' want to limit participation. If Gilmore gets lucky and nails a huge mulie on Sept 10, and it scores HUGE...well, after that...Who is going to bother to enter, uness they luck out and get a bigger one?

I didn't want to bring this up, since I don't want Ekhound to feel bad, but after he went out early in the bear seaosn, and nailed a HUGE bear, he effectively shut the contest down. (through no fault of his own- and good for him!):D

Lots of others kileld bears, but didn't enter the contest, since their score did not match his!

In many "Big Buck" contests, you have no clue how your animal will score until the last day, and everyones score is tallied. So people enter, regardess of score, since they have no cue how the others measure up.

In the context of HBC, we ALL know, and rigth away.

So to have everyone out, participating, having fun...that is more important in the context of HBC

Does that make sense, now?:cool:

lip_ripper00
08-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Perhaps a setup for the newbies and youth to share their stories would be an idea - like provide a story of the experience, few pics and then the hbc group could review submissions and vote for a winner of a token prize or two at seasons end. personally- not into the contest idea.I'm a newbie, but I'm too old to be writing stories:lol:

jessbennett
08-09-2006, 09:39 PM
how we do it here for the archery club in williams lake we have a thing called the lucky buck. that way if a child shoots a spike they have just a good of a chance as anybody. a spike or two point to a child might as well be a 200 class buck to others. anyone who shoots a buck whether it is a spike or a monster gets there name thrown into a hat. the names taken out get some sorta lil prize. i dunno lets keep the juniors involved also. that way anyone who gets something is involved

Marc
08-09-2006, 09:41 PM
I think a contest is a good idea I just have to sit down and try and figure out how it's all going to play out. Everyone likes some kind of contest between fellow sportsmen. I like the idea for recognition of the biggest typical non typical or what have you I also like the category for a youth hunt. Just have to figure out what the guidelines will be. Maybe even the largest doe? I'd also like to have an archery category in the mix as well. I'm heading to the woods this weekend and hopefully I'll be able to sit down and figure things out. I was also thinking of setting up a raffle for a sweater or something with the HBC logo embroidered on the chest. It's all in the preliminary stages right now.

For now we'll say it's for bragging rights and we'll see how things evolve from there. If there is anyone out there that would like to donate prizes please PM me with your ideas and what you'd like to have your prize go towards. As far as collecting money for the contest I don't think it's a good idea as it sounds to much like gambling to me and the last thing I need is a lawsuit for conducting illegal gambling online on a hunting website.

Dragginbait
08-09-2006, 09:51 PM
To keep it fair for every one, why not make the contest a hidden date and time. If someone gets a doe or a spike on the island at 6:30 am oct. 3rd and their time was the closest to the one drawn, they win something. That makes it even for everyone regardless of geographical location or time spent afield. You could be the winner just by being successful on your hunt. If you're able to get yourself a "trophy" sized animal, your already a winner.

mark
08-09-2006, 11:30 PM
many interesting points here, but like others have said if the contest isnt about the biggest buck, then its not a big buck contest, its just a raffle ticket, no challenge, just luck of the draw (no competition or fun) What gates said about someone slamming a hog in early season and no-one else wanting to join, well thats obvious, all persons who are in, must join, or anti up before season begins. that is standard for any big buck contest!

mark
08-09-2006, 11:41 PM
http://www3.telus.net/esptkam/HOME/home.html

heres the link to the 100 mile contest, which i participate in every year. i believe the bugs have been worked out of the contest and it works good! Check out the rules here and see what you think guys.

sealevel
08-10-2006, 04:25 AM
HOW about we handy cap the deer one prize for all deer.use the bc record book minimim scores. go`s like this.

if the minimim is 180 for mule deer they are even

if whitetail min.is 160 add 20pionts to the score

if blacktail is 130 add 50 points to the score

i don`t think youths should get points cause they have an advantage of the first two weeks.

i don`t think it will be like the bear contest cause everyone hunts deer ! and if we are not watererd down with different catagories we will have lots of enteries for one top deer. In the end we can call him ( King gates or something like that) for one year.

valleycowboy
08-10-2006, 05:02 AM
just a thought.i was on the realtree site.they put people into teams.every deer gets 5(buck or doe)then they get one point for every point the deer has.for example, someone shoots a 4x4 mulie,5 points for the amimal and 8 points for the horns,total 13 total points.key here it is a team thing.at the end ,the team with the most points gets braggin rights.it would also bring more ppl together.just my thoughts.anyway it's done,i'm in.

Walksalot
08-10-2006, 06:08 AM
Would points be deducted for anti freeze stains on the antlers?:D

pupper
08-10-2006, 08:22 AM
i like the point system. eg 1 point per buck and 1/2 point for a doe. then if it makes the bc book 2 points,if it makes boone and crocket all time or pope and young all time you get 3 points.

so someone who harvests 3 bucks can score the same as someone nailing a booner. that way quantity and quality are kinda evened out.

then for tie breaker use the net antler score.

pupper

CanAm500
08-10-2006, 10:25 AM
i don`t think youths should get points cause they have an advantage of the first two weeks.

Not in region 1 we dont. And even if you went through with that, dont you think that is discouraging youths for entering...well cause it is.

I like Marc's and Gate's ideas. We should just keep the contest simple, have typical, non typical, blacktail, mule, whitetail....etc. Just keep it simple, just like the bear contest, that way its fair for everyone.

Elkhound
08-10-2006, 01:15 PM
I didn't want to bring this up, since I don't want Ekhound to feel bad, but after he went out early in the bear seaosn, and nailed a HUGE bear, he effectively shut the contest down. (through no fault of his own- and good for him!):D

Lots of others kileld bears, but didn't enter the contest, since their score did not match his!

Yup. I realised this after a few weeks into the contest. I felt bad that people were not posting their results cause of this. I love reading about other peoples hunting success. Symon's bear was more of a trophy to me than my bear cause it was his first one. I was lucky enough to be in on that hunt and was one of the best times I had in my life. The smile on that 14yr olds face was incredible. Brought me back to a time for my first game animal as well. I waited with huge anticipation for guys like Marc to post up their bears and followed their exploits and misses with them, just waiting for an update.......exciting hunts, pics to go with them.....and good times with friends and family. Thats my favorite part about hunting....enjoying the thrill with people I care about.

Now I am in for any kind of buck contest......as long as my blacktails don't have to beat the score of any mulies:wink:

The only suggestion I would have is maybe have a secret score that we have to try and match.....that way any buck could be the winner, everyone has a chance. As GH said, participation is the goal here......and everyone would post up their success as no one would have a clue as to what score would win. Would keep the excitement of the contest right to the end, unlike the bear contest, it was unfortunate that mine was the first one posted and others didn't bother. Kind of ruined the whole experience I think, cause the spirit in which the contest was designed for was lost.

And of course, even if your monster of a buck did not win, there is still the ooooohs and aahhhhhs and drool comments to give the shooter his pride.

mtnmax
08-10-2006, 02:16 PM
I agree with alot of the points being brought up. For myself I never entered my first ever black bear because it was smaller than Elk's. It was one of my best ever hunting trips.
Anyway simple is good and different catagories is great. I have faith in HBC that it will be fair for everyone.

dana
08-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Why do you need to have a contest? It seems many don't want to have a competition so why bother? If it is just to give out prizes, heck, you could do that any any given time. This is hunting. Each indivual has different goals as to what they personally are trying to acheive. It ain't about scores, it's about getting out there and having a fun time going one on one against nature. It's about enjoying the great outdoors with friends and family. It is not a competition.

mark
08-10-2006, 05:56 PM
everones posts have good points, but most of you are swaying from the topic here, "BIG BUCK CONTEST", no its not for everyone, its not a "did you get a deer" contest. For those that want it as a lottery or a hidden score, well invent a different name for another contest, cuz it doesnt fit into a "BIG BUCK CONTEST" This thread should only be responded to by individuals who would like to participate in a "BIG BUCK CONTEST" I hope im not sounding bosy here, but as usual, people are swaying way off track. I think if you want to talk about some sort of deer contest other than a "BIG BUCK CONTEST" start a new thread, but leave this one to those of us whod like to see it come together please! I loooove these contests, adds a whole new level to deer hunting!!!

sealevel
08-10-2006, 06:02 PM
I totally agree mark hunting and big buck contests go together. if you want a raffle go to the nearest shopping mall you can get a ticket on something there.

dana
08-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Mark,
If you are wanting a big buck contest, you can enter the MonsterMuleys.com contest. If competition is your driving force, then the 200-240 class bucks that are entered every year will give ya a run for your money. Many hard-core muley nuts that consistantly harvest monsters every year. The best of the best in North America. Winning a big buck contest on a small scale site like this ain't nothing to get excited about IMHO.

Gateholio
08-10-2006, 06:43 PM
everones posts have good points, but most of you are swaying from the topic here, "BIG BUCK CONTEST", no its not for everyone, its not a "did you get a deer" contest. For those that want it as a lottery or a hidden score, well invent a different name for another contest, cuz it doesnt fit into a "BIG BUCK CONTEST" This thread should only be responded to by individuals who would like to participate in a "BIG BUCK CONTEST" I hope im not sounding bosy here, but as usual, people are swaying way off track. I think if you want to talk about some sort of deer contest other than a "BIG BUCK CONTEST" start a new thread, but leave this one to those of us whod like to see it come together please! I loooove these contests, adds a whole new level to deer hunting!!!

If you don't want differing opinions, you shouldn't be on the intraweb;-)

Will
08-10-2006, 06:57 PM
I agree with Dana on this one...
If a Big Score is important to you then the Record Books will recognize this already.
Keep a Friendly atmosphere and encourage Folks to post up and feel Proud of ALL thier Harvests..........Not just the "Big Ones" :-D
Contests turn things into Competitions.......Plain and simple.
Just My Oppinion.

slyfox
08-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Come on guys this big buck thing sounds good to me is it not the same as the bear contest and every one was happy with that contest.Its for fun guys and galls shit when i got me grizz i thought of the contest right away but me bear was not as big as the other grizzs that were shot but it got me excited and thinking.Come on dana if you shot that big deer that your looking for would you not put it in the contest.If i shot a deer over the 200 class this year id put it in this contest and monstermuleys to so id get double the braging rights.

greybark
08-10-2006, 07:23 PM
:wink: Hey lots of thoughts on this one .
Pupper , Your idea of points per animal has one downside to it . In similiar contests in the past I witnessed animals taken that would normaly be passed on just to win the contest . No sportsmanship in that .
Sealevel , Jnr hunters should be treated in the same way all of us are . That Early Jnr Season is designed to recruit them not to ostracize them . By the way they have only 5 days out of school for that hunt .
Dragginbait , I like your idea of a hidden date and time its simple to run and all are involved to the last day. , Everyone gets a chance for that Hat . To the very competative hunters out there its only a HAT. The top animals and hunters should be congratulated at the end of the season with the appropriate Ohhhhhs and Ahhssss (photos)

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On -- .

sealevel
08-10-2006, 07:49 PM
graybark juniors should be treated like everyone else as equels . i thought it was a privelage to be put in the same cat. as men.

todbartell
08-15-2006, 12:59 PM
I think we should just have a "HBC 2006 Deer Thread" where if you shoot a deer, post up a pic, tell a lil story, and let the congrats begin.

participation is what Id rather see

.02$

Gateholio
08-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Marc and I pretty much finalized the HBC deer contest outline a ferw days ago. We are going to put the finsishing touches on it and I'll probably poist it toniught
:lol:

CanAm500
08-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Marc and I pretty much finalized the HBC deer contest outline a ferw days ago. We are going to put the finsishing touches on it and I'll probably poist it toniught
:lol:

Looking forward to reading it:lol:

yote
08-16-2006, 10:30 AM
I like the idea of a big buck contest for the catagories. If you don't want to compete in the "fun" contest, then you don't have to play. This isn't the most serious thing in your life, it's a for fun contest. I get tired of PC sometimes, in my job I see it too much and it is counter productive. I am glad that the fishing derbies aren't so complicated, even though there are many other prizes, the biggest fish wins the big one. Pretty simple. As for juniors, they have a good chance to score too and if you don't win, then dream on for next year like the rest of us. A young kid won $2200.00 in the bass derby last year as first prize, everyone was very happy for him., no hard feelings, it goes both ways.

Marc
08-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Hopefully when Gatehouse gets home tonight he'll post up the rules. To make it fair for everyone and maximum participation there will be a couple of draws as well as a hat for the biggest overal buck. I'll leave it at that as I don't want to steal Clarks thunder.:biggrin:

Marc.