PDA

View Full Version : Jetboating thompson river

white moose
05-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Has anyone been boating? Was wanting to launch at juniper beach and head up river to savona. Water levels good? Stuck in sask working at island falls dam at the moment, but will be back next week. Never boated the thompson, but heard its a nice run. Anybody want to go next week? Lee.

Laurence_Erickson
05-12-2011, 09:12 PM
I haven't been yet this yr .should be lots of water the south thompson has come up quite well in the last two days .A buddy of mine was on it yesterday .when I talk to him I will find out what it is like .

white moose
05-12-2011, 09:39 PM
I have a firefish hammerhead, any info would be appreciated. Boat is stored fairly close. Does anybody know/have launched in ashcroft ?

MountainHigh
05-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Been there done that, its an uneventful stretch of water. Pretty scenery though. We have camped at the mouth of the river and boated down too. If you want to play go down to Spences Bridge. Launch at Martel Islands and go down as far as Frog rock...but go no farther.

mark
05-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Been there done that, its an uneventful stretch of water. Pretty scenery though. We have camped at the mouth of the river and boated down too. If you want to play go down to Spences Bridge. Launch at Martel Islands and go down as far as Frog rock...but go no farther.

Why afraid of the "which's cauldron"....Ive launched in the fraser at the mouth of the thompson, boated up to ashcroft and back, even towed a dead 20' boat, back down through which's cauldron....white knuckle, but doable!
Rivers around south BC are raging and coming up fast by the minute, could be some pretty white water along with debris right now. Safer to wait a while!

MountainHigh
05-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Why afraid of the "which's cauldron"....Ive launched in the fraser at the mouth of the thompson, boated up to ashcroft and back, even towed a dead 20' boat, back down through which's cauldron....white knuckle, but doable!
Rivers around south BC are raging and coming up fast by the minute, could be some pretty white water along with debris right now. Safer to wait a while!

I meant the mouth of river at Kamloops lake and not down at Lytton. You got to have good whitewater experience to o upstream from Lytton on the Thompson...do not do this until you have considerable experience. From Savanoh down its not that big of a deal. High water smooths out many of the rapids.

doubled
05-14-2011, 05:55 AM
The Frog a few clicks up from the mouth of the thompson to the Fraser is a nasty stretch of water. Kumsheen lost some boats there a number of years ago (25??) - sucked right under. This is professional water so treat it that way. Real bad where Nicomen (sp?) creek goes into the Thompson. My Grandmother lived there and we used to spend alot of our summer days there when we were small. The river was pretty awesome.

Kapow
05-14-2011, 08:12 PM
The Thompson is having it's heavy flow days. Lots of debris but great boating. Launches are good between savona and ashcroft.

mark
05-14-2011, 09:04 PM
The Frog a few clicks up from the mouth of the thompson to the Fraser is a nasty stretch of water. Kumsheen lost some boats there a number of years ago (25??) - sucked right under. This is professional water so treat it that way. Real bad where Nicomen (sp?) creek goes into the Thompson. My Grandmother lived there and we used to spend alot of our summer days there when we were small. The river was pretty awesome.

25 river rafts sucked under??????
Pretty sure they would avoid a certain rapid if they lost just 1!
I did that stretch with kumsheen years ago, they aim ya for the nastiest rapids in the river just so its not boring! After that I knew I could jetboat the whole river no problem.
I launched just above spences once, went down to frog rock and did dounuts in the rapids...went through it over a dozen times (21' boat)
While it seems very intimidating, and there is little room for error, its very doable, the key is to go slow and be in full control! (if your boat can handle such water)(not for the meak, or rookies)

peashooter
05-14-2011, 10:43 PM
25 boats or 25 years ago?

doubled
05-16-2011, 01:01 PM
25 years ago. Come on boys!!

stinkyduck
05-16-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm sure he meant 25 years ago. I've worked for cp rail for 25 years, never heard that story.I work from kamloops to north bend. only have an 80 hp out board jet, live in savona play around a bit on thompson. however, juniper to savona will be a cake walk. Big water, right now. go to ashcroft, follow river, by road up about 3 miles, put in there. just be careful when going under train bridges.

mark
05-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm sure he meant 25 years ago. I've worked for cp rail for 25 years, never heard that story.I work from kamloops to north bend. only have an 80 hp out board jet, live in savona play around a bit on thompson. however, juniper to savona will be a cake walk. Big water, right now. go to ashcroft, follow river, by road up about 3 miles, put in there. just be careful when going under train bridges.

Why??? whats wrong with train bridges???

white moose
05-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info. Has anybody been boating the ashcroft to savona section this past week? My dad seems to think its risky due to high water flow. Haven't seen the river levels for myself. Was thinking of going thursday. Any one want to go? Everyone i know is busy or working.