PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Bear LEH logic?

behemoth
05-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Whey is the spring LEH so much larger than the fall?

For example Region 4 has 413 draws available for the spring season but zero for the fall.

If the ministry feels that the population is that healthy, why cant some be taken in sept/oct??

kootenayslam
05-12-2011, 12:34 PM
i would assume a few reasons,

-most grizzly hunters are after a nice coat/hide and fall bears are rubbed usually
-baiting bears/shooting off gut piles is not allowed and the fall would be a tough time to enforce this as it is aligned with other seasons
-fall is usually when bears are down on the rivers feeding on fish ( in many areas ) which would make a very easy hunt
-sows may have last years cubs in the spring still but by fall they may be gone making it easier to mistake a lone female bear for a boar

i'm sure theres more reasons, just a few i could think of.

SHAKER
05-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Whey is the spring LEH so much larger than the fall?

For example Region 4 has 413 draws available for the spring season but zero for the fall.

If the ministry feels that the population is that healthy, why cant some be taken in sept/oct??

Go to the ministry office in region 4 and ask them point blank! If your not satisfied then start ask'n Victoria. G-bears are a political game, not science based which game manangmnet is supposed to be done by. That should help with the blank look and useless reasoning you might be given by the MOE or what ever they call themselves now.

mcrae
05-12-2011, 03:51 PM
I personally believe like Shaker pointed out its all political. Access in the spring is tough in some spots even in a good year so I think it really limits the actual succes rate. Keeps it pretty low. Like a built in fail safe. If they had a fall season access would be fairly easy thus increasing the harvest rate. I think its a matter of control.

All of Kootenayslams points as well but I think personally its a way to control the harvest without appearing to control the harvest... If that makes sense...

I live in Nelson and have been telling everybody I meet about my upcoming grizz hunt in 4-27 very few people wish me well LOL...

BCbillies
05-12-2011, 04:41 PM
I live in Nelson and have been telling everybody I meet about my upcoming grizz hunt in 4-27 very few people wish me well LOL...

Good thing you have this site . . . we wish you well and success! :)