PDA

View Full Version : roosevelt bugle

hunter1947
08-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Has anyone out there head roosevelt elk bugling around the 10th of sept or latter,,to tell you the truth ,i have never heard a roosevelt elk bugle on this island???. I am an excellent elk caller ,i was just wondering if they will answer me when calling bull talk or cow talk????. wayne.:-?

08-08-2006, 06:13 PM
I’ve never heard any bugling on the Island my self. I don’t know if you have read this article before, have a read through it. It’s very in-depth and seems to be FACT based in its conclusions. They talk about why it’s Elk in dense cover behave differently.

http://www.bowhunting.net/NAspecies/indexnags.htm

tomigunz
08-08-2006, 07:06 PM
I've heard some extreme bugling in the nanaimo lakes. Was up green mountain in the rut, and man the sounds we heard. felt like we were surrounded. Gonna go up this season with a call and get some more video footage!

steel_ram
08-09-2006, 09:22 AM
I've heard lots of bugling in late September in the upper White. It slow down a lot by the time regular LEH hunting season rolls in. (Thanksgiving weekend). Then it's just the odd one. Up close you can hear lots of cow talk.

My experience is that the big bulls with cows would rather take-off with what they've got than meet the challenge of a trespassing bull. If the lead cow will let him.

Elkhound
08-10-2006, 01:34 PM
My buddy got an LEH for Roosevelt elk 2 yrs ago on the coast here and the day he got his bull it was the last few days of Oct. There was a few bugles from him and alot of chatter from the cows as well. He was a beautiful 6X7 bull.