PDA

View Full Version : Private Land for Elk 8-14

Radar
08-08-2006, 03:46 PM
A friend of mine got a draw for Elk in 8-14 for private land, does anyone have any leads on the names or #'s for any of the farmers in that area? Thanks

Steeleco
08-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Contact the local Wildlife office, I hear they have a list of farmers that are willing to let people hunt their land.

Fred
08-08-2006, 10:01 PM
The CO there in Princeton is Al Lay. IMO he is one fine individual. Fred

Radar
08-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks Fred, any idea where I'd get the number for him? I can then pass it on to my buddy. Steve

ruger#1
08-08-2006, 11:28 PM
8-14 is rock creek greenwood area. contact the cos , they will give you the info.grand forks. 250-442-4350. princeton 250-295-6343, moe regional office penticton. 250-490-8200 there you go have fun with the elk.

Radar
08-09-2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks Ruger, appreciate it.

Fred
08-10-2006, 02:12 PM
OOOPPSIE, I was thinking 8-4 not 14. Follow Ruger#1's advice Radar and just ignore this old fart! :oops: :redface: :wink: Fred

Mckinney Creek Adventures
09-05-2006, 09:09 PM
What tag did you get, the November or January Tag? There are several ranches/ranchers in the area that allow access to there land for the opportunity to hunt cow elk. They have serious problems with the herds damaging there winter feed at certain times of the year. The intent of this hunt is to attempt to manage the populations, with the other benefit being when an animal is taken out of the heard on a place, it pushes them away for a time as well. I have had this tag three times, including last year, with no problem filling it. Surprisingly, success with these hunts have been very low. I believe that people become over confident that the hunt is easy because it is on farm land. My experience is that elk are elk, they migrate around no matter the season. Therefore, you must put in the time to find them. Find where they have been and they usually will be back in a week or so. If we have heavy snows, they are apt to be close to the farmers fields. If snows are low, you have to go to higher elevations, sometimes adjacent to some higher private lands. A snowmobile is a definite asset for the late season, otherwise you have no option but to stick to low elevation farmers fields. Two kills were around noon, one was at last light.

I know many of the rancher and some very well. We will send guests holding these tags in the right direction depending on when they are coming to hunt.

Radar
09-05-2006, 10:01 PM
It is my buddies tag, I'm not sure which it is. I'll check with him and pass on th info. Thank for taking the time to post.

SquirrelHunter
09-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Hey all,

I'm the one with the tag...it is for 8-14 Christian Valley in January. I contacted the MOE office in Penticton but have had no response. I'll have to try getting ahold of the CO for that area. I appreciate all the info given thus far. Guess I'll have to go on a scouting trip in early January to try and find them...no guarantees that they'll be on a given ranchers land at any particular time. Thanks again for all the responses! And thanks Radar for posting this to begin with.

Jelvis
09-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Thats what hunting buddies are for, SquirrelHunter, goodluck with your quest.

freeman6
01-03-2008, 06:12 PM
There weren't any elk tracks in the Cuthebertson ranch fields, or Smiths, between Rock Creek and Westbridge when I came through New Years Eve. You might have to go up the main Kettle River valley quite a distance to find them this year as there doesn't seem to be much snow in the bottom.

Myers Creek has elk and ranches right next to the border. You might ask the Harpers if they will let you hunt, or Jamie Haines. They are at higher elevations in fairly open timber above Rock Creek. The old Star Anchor ranch property is another place I would ask at. Don't know who owns it anymore. McKinney Outfitters might know. The folks up Ingram Creek seem to be pretty much anti-hunting, so I wouldn't spend much time up there other than for photos of deer and elk.

Dirty
01-03-2008, 06:37 PM
I have had the tag before in that area and was unsuccessful. The trouble is finding what area they are in. After that it is go time. They seem to run a circuit up there and move around a lot. The day that we left the rancher phoned and said that the elk were in a field down the road from their place. Does the tag still require that you are within 400 yards of private property?

fozzy
01-03-2008, 06:40 PM
PM sent to squirrelHunter

hunter11
01-03-2008, 08:13 PM
I have been up past the bridge as you enter rock creek area and there's lots of sign there. Good luck cheers.:cool:

Bullmoose
01-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Go on the Provincial website and ask for a list of ranchers/farmers

270 short mag.
01-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Bullmoose ;Whats the name of the website pl let me know? Thanx.

cwocarsten
01-04-2008, 01:52 AM
PM me and I will give you a spot and name where I used to hunt.

270 short mag.
01-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Is there alot of game in that area? mulie or whity?Cheers

hunter1947
01-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Good luck with your trip Radar ,looking forwards to the pic when you get back.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.