PDA

View Full Version : moose hunting basics?

Fixit
05-11-2011, 01:00 PM
me and my brothers have put in for a moose LEH in PG this year.

were all relitivly new hunters (3rd season) and totally green to moose hunting.

any tactics or things to be aware of thats different from hunting deer?
any suggestions are appreciated

05-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Moose are easy to call, get some info on calling them. Get to a spot where you think may be good before light and call till 11am
i call every 10 min

as for country to hunt them they can like area thats the same a deer. It is different for different reigons. But generally they like the low ground.
if you dont call hunt them as if they were a deer, except remember they are freakin big!

Go to a marine supply shop and ger some rope (Polysteel) Its blue and cheap. 1/2" pulls moose fine and you can get 1000' for around 120 bucks. Bring a steel block as well. Radios help pullin them out as well. Do not under estimate how hard it can be to get 1000 lbs of critter out of the forrest!!
I walk old roads in to where i call. Something that most people wont drive down but you can if you get lucky.

I am not a pro but ive shot a few moose if you have any questions pm me

abbyfireguy
05-11-2011, 05:04 PM
I agree completely with 835. Seen too many first timers go unprepared for the enormous size of a moose and after pulling the trigger say "What do I do with all that ?". Have plenty of room for carrying home the quarters. Keep them cool and get them skinned and cleaned ASAP and out of the heat and sun.
Pre plan what you are going to do once the swamp donkey hits the deck,don't shoot then scratch your head (or other body parts) and end up loosing a portion or all of the meat to spoilage.
We have a big kit with meat saws, snatch block,speader bar,lots of rags and paper towels. a ton of sacking and old sheets,vinegar and pepper to keep the flies away,and something I tried last year and worked slick,,,one of those chordless reciprocating sawsalls. Yes folks they work awesome on game. I just went to KMS and got the longest carbide pruning blade(14 inch) and it was perfect.Takes the legs off quick and even halved the carcass not too bad either. A lot cleaner and quieter than other methods.

carnivore
05-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Make sure you line up a good wild game processor before you leave on your trip, you don't want to be scrambling around looking for one with possibly 600-750 pounds of skinned moose quarters in your vehicle.

SHAKER
05-11-2011, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=835;913089]
Go to a marine supply shop and ger some rope (Polysteel) Its blue and cheap. 1/2" pulls moose fine and you can get 1000' for around 120 bucks.

Good call! But you only need about 3 feet of it. Tie one end onto the mirror of your truck and the other end to your neck LOL. Seriously though, Moose are big and lots of trips are required if your doing it on your back so LOTS of rope is a good thing. Chest waders, chain saw, raft and game karts are all part of the moose game as well.

Jim Prawn
05-11-2011, 05:32 PM
x2 on the recip saw, 3 - 18 volt batteries will half two bulls through the backbone. Also x2 on the rope and snatch block - use your truck to pull them out if possible, using a winch over long distance will likely burn it out. There must be some video somewhere on the net on how to gut large game like moose - if none of you have done it before you will definitely want some pointers before hand.
Good luck, hope the moose is loose!
JP

Bucks&Ducks
05-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Make sure its dead ( and approach with your rifle ready to make a follow up shot if neccesary)

This may sound obvious but I was hunting with my Grandfather and he shot the moose and radioed me. We approached it and it stood up with a hole through both palms of its antlers and took off. It had fallen like a rock because it had been knocked out and was just recovering when we approached it thinking it was dead. there is nothng worse than a tonne of raging black fur coming at you

wos
05-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Shoot a nice small eater. Nothing beats steaks you can cut with a fork.

moosinaround
05-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Simple! Call me when you are in town, and I'll help you out! I don't want any of the moose or anything, well, maybe a beverage!!;) I like to moose hunt, so a day in the field with others is always welcome!! Moosin

afors
05-11-2011, 07:12 PM
This thread was really helpful, helped us with our first moose hunt. We called in a nice bull. Check out some you tube videos to get the "sound" of the calls.

Where to call from? ... Look for fresh sign and set up.

And BE PREPARED to work. This is no deer you are shooting!
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/aforstbauer/DSC00302.jpg
BTW thanks for the original post BiG Boar!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?52074-Calling-Moose-101&highlight=moose+calling+101

The Dawg
05-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Simple! Call me when you are in town, and I'll help you out! I don't want any of the moose or anything, well, maybe a beverage!!;) I like to moose hunt, so a day in the field with others is always welcome!! Moosin

And you wonder why you have been swamped with PM's about moose hunting... :)

moosinaround
05-11-2011, 07:20 PM
And you wonder why you have been swamped with PM's about moose hunting... :)
I am trying to get the good Karma flowing as I REALLY want an elk this year, so I am trying to get everyone to PG to hunt moose so they won't have any money left to hunt elk in the Peace!!!;) Moosin

willyqbc
05-11-2011, 07:55 PM
My observations from shooting or being in on probably close to 50 moose kills in region 5 and 7

firstly depends on what time of year

SEPT - cows and some bulls will generally be down low, still in the summer feeding patterns....swamps etc completely surrounded by bush for cover with clearcuts in close proximity are my favourite. While there will be a lot of moose low, a lot of bulls, particularly the big ones will be up in the highest spots around

OCT - obviously as the rut kicks in the bulls will all be heading down to where the ladies are hanging out. If you know where the wintering areas are, hunting the transition areas between summer and winter areas can be very productive end of Oct through beginning of november

NOV - obviously just key on the wintering areas, generally you will find large concentrations of nipped off willow in these areas

Do some research on the local logging.....I follow the 5 or 5 rule.... I will key on clearcuts that are 5 minutes old or minimum 5 years old. The first is pretty obvious, moose love the byproducts of logging that end up on the ground....talk to some loggers and they will tell you about moose literally following the processor around the block at night. Secondly, the 5 year part.....once the logging is no longer fresh it seems to take about 5 years for the block to grow up to the point that moose are really interested in it, from there in my experience they have about a 7 - 10 year shelf life that they will continue to be productive.

I use a combination of walking and driving....early morning I spend a few hours checking as many of my chosen cutblocks as possible. Once it warms up, time to hike around in the dark cover. Evening its back to checking cutblocks, more times than not you will just catch them trying to cross the logging road or travelling across a block. Not as glamourous as calling one in, but in the last 20 years my family and I or the people i've been helping out have never failed to fill the tag within 3 or 4 days...it does work.

Just my opinion
Chris

P.S. what region did you put in for....I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Sitkaspruce
05-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Learn the no gut method and you will soon realize that moose are as easy as deer...well except the weight...

Lots of good tips on here, do a search.

Moose are great fun and fill a freezer or two fast.

Cheers

SS

Caveman
05-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Nothing like some local input to cut out some leg work, so take moosin' up on his offer. I have it on pretty good authority that he would be genuine it his assistance. Other than that, a fair bit of scouting can be required. It is my experience that you will generally find moose in pockets, likely family groups or just the right type of terrain, food etc. that tends to hold them. I have a local spot at home that is just that. The moose are predicable. You see them in the same piece of timber or in the same corner of a cut every time yet the next cut you'll never see one. You need to zero in on one of these. The same goes no matter where you're at. I hunt the PG area as well now and find the same thing the moose are always in the same areas I have found them in the past. Find a relatively fresh cut, close to a water source, a mixture of evergreen and poplar is something they seem to like for cover and bedding. Red willow. Travel corridors in and out of these to bedding areas much like deer. Watch the poplar and smaller evergreens for rubs. Large scraped patches will big a bigger bull. Sporadic scrape marks are generally smaller bulls. The immatures tend to hang close to their mother so if that what you are looking for pay attention to the cows and watch the perimeters close by. They also seem to be in small batchleor groups at times. A long mournful throaty cow call ending abruptly in and around the rut will bring attention from most bulls. Hunt the cut first thing in the morning and late afternoon. I like to walk and sit in the timber in the mid morning trying to catch them in or finding a bedding area. If you're in the area you'll know by the number of beds. Move slowly and sit lots. If you find one of these spots keep it close and be patient. I have seen a ton of guys come into my favourite haunt, spend half a day several times over a season and would tell you there are no moose in there, yet the guy that puts in the time will bring one out just about every year. In one spot I like, I can honestly say I have taken 9 moose in the same 5 sq. km area. I have taken moose within several hundred yards of where I have taken them in the past. Most of these have been immatures, the area in getting over grown now,hence the reason I find myself going elsewhere , hoping for the big boys, but I bet I could still go there and find the moose with little problem. Food for thought! PM me if you have some questions. I help if I can

Fixit
05-12-2011, 12:08 AM
wow a lot of responses!
where to start...
as for the meat handling, ive worked as a butcher on and off since i was 12, 29 now, so the big hunk of meat isnt too daunting for me. I was planning on a large bone saw to do the qwarters, but im sorta thinking about getting a recip saw too, might be faster than doing it by hand.
Im also very capable with ropes as i rockclimb and im also a high angle rope rescue tech. give me a few prussics, pullies and some enough hardwear and ill pull a moose out of a 200ft deep ravene and ill have fun doing it!

What about a quad? will a 400 4wd with lockers pull a moose in lowrange? my other option would be to use the truck, and a redirection (pulley) with some old climbing rope to pull it outa the bush my old retiered climbing ropes are all mostly 60m lengths
do i really need the 1000' length?

our LEH is for 7-10 btw.

Ive allready been in contact with moosinaround and plan on connecting with him when we get up there - youd be welcome in camp if you want, even if its just to escape from the wife and have a feww beers in the evening!

moosinaround
05-12-2011, 05:40 AM
1000' of rope is plenty! You will probably be able to drive up to the moose!! I have taken 7 moose out of 7-10, and seen and called out MANY more!! NoahDawg and I missed a beauty 2x3 in there 3 years ago, dam 3 points!!! It is a moose rich MU thats for sure, but it is close to town so it sees LOTS of traffic. BUY AN ELK TAG!!!!! Cause there are some out there and they are open till the 9 of October for 6 pointers. Give me a shout when you get to town, I'll show ya around, if I am not out killin critters myself! Moosin

Darksith
05-12-2011, 06:00 AM
haha, I'd love to see someone hook up to a moose with 1000' of 1/2" rope and attempt to pull that out with the truck. Make sure your not in the bite of the rope if you do that, stand behind the moose, and when the truck has moved a few 100' and the moose hasn't give the moose a kick. Wait, before you do that, put a red cape around the mooses neck so it looks like superman when you kick it and it goes flying 10'. Do not attempt to pull a moose out of the bush with 1000' of rope, it will not work. But I'd love to see someone try it honestly.

Caveman
05-12-2011, 06:30 AM
The 400 will pull a moose, no you don't need a 1000 ft of rope unless you have room for it. I usually have a couple rolls of 100 ft. Half it and pack it on the racks of the bike works great as well. The hook up of the moose behind the quad is the tricky part. Half hitch around the nose tied tight to that bike to get the nose of the ground works well. You'll need some weight on the front. Go slow, have a partner pick a path for you as even a small log can get the bike to hang up and throw you back

whitetailsheds
05-12-2011, 07:30 AM
In the past 4 years, alot of our moose calls are being responded to by wolves! Just a heads up! Nice to get a bull coming in, but that "little bit" of noise running around in the bush may not always be a squirrel!

luckynuts
05-12-2011, 08:01 AM
The 400 will pull a moose, no you don't need a 1000 ft of rope unless you have room for it. I usually have a couple rolls of 100 ft. Half it and pack it on the racks of the bike works great as well. The hook up of the moose behind the quad is the tricky part. Half hitch around the nose tied tight to that bike to get the nose of the ground works well. You'll need some weight on the front. Go slow, have a partner pick a path for you as even a small log can get the bike to hang up and throw you back

Better yet get yourself a good solid trailer not the plastic crap kind. Cut moose in half between 3rd and 4th rib put moose in trailer in 2 pieces as long as you are not heading down some real steep and nasty creek banks other wise make 2 trips then. Pull into camp hang moose up, skin everything is nice and clean and sack or debone if you wish.

For better advice tell us when you put in for. Calling makes a huge difference and the times vary some what. Early Sept use only a bull call. I can generally get a few responses and even bring in smaller bulls starting around sept 25th up here with cow calls. Like Grant said calling can bring more than just moose in. wolves are a bonus, Grizzly on the other hand not so much of a bonus unless you have a tag.

tim3500
05-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Only one thing to say DONT SHOOT MOOSE DOWN HILL !

05-12-2011, 10:08 AM
haha, I'd love to see someone hook up to a moose with 1000' of 1/2" rope and attempt to pull that out with the truck. Make sure your not in the bite of the rope if you do that, stand behind the moose, and when the truck has moved a few 100' and the moose hasn't give the moose a kick. Wait, before you do that, put a red cape around the mooses neck so it looks like superman when you kick it and it goes flying 10'. Do not attempt to pull a moose out of the bush with 1000' of rope, it will not work. But I'd love to see someone try it honestly.

Taking that pretty litterally eh. Maybe i ment the spool is a 1000' for 100 ish bucks like i said. And if you dont think 1/2" poly steel is enough to pull out a moose you are unfamiliar with the rope. Last 5 moose we have shot have been pulled out with it and only once has the rope broke.

Let me explain this a bit further. Once you have purchesed the rope cut it into 50' sections and splice in a loop in the ends. Bring some shackles to connect them, just dont pull them through the block. The rope will strech as all ropes do unless you are using wire. So if you are at the moose prepair for it to "Jump", This is where the radios come in. If you can cut the horns off at the kill site it helps with the draging as the horns wont dig in to any thing. lasou the nose so the rope is pulling direct doun the mooses nose, keeping the head up.

Caveman
05-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Better yet get yourself a good solid trailer not the plastic crap kind. Cut moose in half between 3rd and 4th rib put moose in trailer in 2 pieces as long as you are not heading down some real steep and nasty creek banks other wise make 2 trips then. Pull into camp hang moose up, skin everything is nice and clean and sack or debone if you wish.

Something like this??

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/PIC_0104.jpg

There are quarters from three moose in this picture in the trailer and on the quad. Made it grunt but I was only loading it to park in the cargo trailer to break camp. That trailer will follow easily where ever I want to take the quad. The quad is a 500cc by the way. Slick!!!!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/003-1.jpg

Another option

Ubertuber
05-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Your 60m chunks of rope will work just fine, but more is always better IMO.
We've pulled moose several hundred feet out of some real nasty places with a block and tackle, some snatch blocks, and a bunch of pulleys. Buy a shit load of rope and don't be afraid to cut it up as needed. One person directing the head/antlers over and around logs and stumps while the other guys set and reset the block and tackle. Radios are a great idea for this.
I watched some Hydro guys pull a moose close to a thousand feet no problem, they said their rope was a 1/4 mile long.

05-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Yup Uber, more is better.
I just cut it into chunks because it makes it easier to manage. And this way you can back the truck up 50' disconnect and drive forward to the next length.
I also use this rope for ridgelines for tarps in camp and dragging logs out of the bush for firewood. This is why 50' works for me. But when we go moosin' we bring 'er all! cant use it if you dont got it and if you dont got it you gonna need it!

noahs ark
05-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Just make sure you dont drop him while hes still standing in the swamp.
Me and my bro were in your shoes last year,
Good luck you and your bro will figure it out and have a blast doing it!!!

ThreeFuturehunters
05-12-2011, 03:37 PM
we use quads each with about 100m of rope. Also we bought a small stihl filled the oiler with salad oil from the get go(know the shop owner) and Mr moose is in 5 pieces in a matter of minutes( the head being number 5) we then load the quarters on the quads in less than twenty minutes on our way to camp. At camp however is a couple hours of care, with the hide coming off each piece immediatly, then careful clean up, wash down, and cheese cloth. We figure if we are going that far to get the swamp donkey, you should also spend the time cleaning and caring for your prize. It does make a world of difference.

We use a 400 honda, a 450 Yamaha, and a 500 Polaris

Besides at camp with rifles away, the beverages of choice can come out, and the BS can begin!! Isnt that kinda whats it about.

I should add, we do leave a small chunk of hide on all pieces, and one piece gets to keep Mr Moose's boys

Jim Prawn
05-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Learn the no gut method and you will soon realize that moose are as easy as deer...well except the weight...

Lots of good tips on here, do a search.

Moose are great fun and fill a freezer or two fast.

Cheers

SS
If you dont gut it you're leaving the best part behind - the tenderloin. These are the two strips of meat on either side of the backbone on the INSIDE of the body cavity - the most tender and succulent of the whole beast. I'll get my forearms bloody for that any day, especially from a moose!
JP

Jim Prawn
05-12-2011, 10:16 PM
wow a lot of responses!
where to start...
as for the meat handling, ive worked as a butcher on and off since i was 12, 29 now, so the big hunk of meat isnt too daunting for me. I was planning on a large bone saw to do the qwarters, but im sorta thinking about getting a recip saw too, might be faster than doing it by hand.
Im also very capable with ropes as i rockclimb and im also a high angle rope rescue tech. give me a few prussics, pullies and some enough hardwear and ill pull a moose out of a 200ft deep ravene and ill have fun doing it!

What about a quad? will a 400 4wd with lockers pull a moose in lowrange? my other option would be to use the truck, and a redirection (pulley) with some old climbing rope to pull it outa the bush my old retiered climbing ropes are all mostly 60m lengths
do i really need the 1000' length?

our LEH is for 7-10 btw.

Ive allready been in contact with moosinaround and plan on connecting with him when we get up there - youd be welcome in camp if you want, even if its just to escape from the wife and have a feww beers in the evening!

Not sure how it compares to a 400 quad but we pulled a small bull out with a Rhino a couple years ago, and up a pretty steep bank too. That said, if you have the quad you can often ride it to the moose and pack it out in quarters on the bike racks.
JP

Jim Prawn
05-12-2011, 10:20 PM

IMO dont pull them head first, especially if they have paddles - now you're dragging a snow plow. Pull them from the back legs and let the antlers drag behind, much less resistance that way.
JP

Ubertuber
05-12-2011, 10:34 PM
If you dont gut it you're leaving the best part behind - the tenderloin. These are the two strips of meat on either side of the backbone on the INSIDE of the body cavity - the most tender and succulent of the whole beast. I'll get my forearms bloody for that any day, especially from a moose!
JP
The tenderloin is easy to grab when doing gutless. It's kinda in a little pocket.

Caveman
05-13-2011, 06:51 AM
IMO dont pull them head first, especially if they have paddles - now you're dragging a snow plow. Pull them from the back legs and let the antlers drag behind, much less resistance that way.
JP Pull them nose up and secure the rack to the bike rack, keeps it off the ground, doesn't dig into anything

fearnodeer
05-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Watch elk101.com for the gutless method they have a great vidio on the gutless method.

Fixit
05-13-2011, 11:09 PM
JP
kinda reminds me of a cave man joke;
one cave man has found his bride to be, so he clubs her on the head, grabs here by the ankles and starts dragging her back to the cave....
another older and much wiser cave man says to the younger one " your better off draggin them by their hair, that way they dont fill up with dirt!"

Fixit
05-13-2011, 11:12 PM
The LEH window is october10-25 for cow/calf or 2nd choice sept 10-nov 5th any bull.

should i be looking to get a moose call, or just go with the traffic cone method?

Smiz
05-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Have pulled about 10 moose with poly steel and no problem at all. Radios are a must and a couple of blocks make all the difference in the world. We don't gut until out to the road so no dirt in them. Poly steel is incredible and not a lot of stretch. We have the ropes on a hydralic hose spool so just walk it out to the moose and tie on and pull. Easy to wrap up onto the spool, just a pole thru the spool and hang on the truck box with a couple of brackets that fit in the stake pockets. If you can tie a couple of bowlines you never have to cut the rope either. We pulled one about 1500 feet right out of a swamp and right onto the road. You just to take your time and hang your blocks properly for direction change. Good luck in 7-10, have hunted there a lot and have taken quite a few moose. We will be in 7-12 if you get out that way. Look for a truck with a spool of rope in the back LOL

moosecamp
05-14-2011, 10:49 AM
If you can find a old army stretcher get one. We have carried out a few moose through some ugly slashes using one of these. Just make sure the quarter is tied on good. Good for getting a injured hunting partner out to. Have fun and good luck.

moosezilla
05-14-2011, 09:10 PM
down the moose in the right spot(50 ft from the road would be nice). have the knowledge before hand to quarter and gut it cleanly. have the means to transport to your truck(strong backs or ATV), skin and bag and hang in a nice cool spot. It is a tonne of work to go through if your meat spoils if it is hanging in the sun or flies get at it. Last year we had 2 moose hanging but the temps around 100 mile were 10-15 degrees out...we hung them in the basement of our cabin where it was cooler

moosinaround
05-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Study the google earth area of where you are going to hunt. Know all the major roads, and where and how they connect with other areas. If you get a moose on one road it may be easier to get it out from a different direction. The Blackwater has a lot of roads through it, so getting one far away from a road will take some work. If all else fails I have a quad and a pack board, and can get you to a cooler quickly too, though the end of Oct it usually not much of a problem up around PG. See ya out there Smiz, as I am putting in for 7-12 for everyone up here too! Moosin

hunter1947
05-15-2011, 03:40 AM
Find out where the hi numbers of moose have been shot in this area you put in for if you can try to go there for the rut if you can ,cover the area and hunt hard all day long no stopping till dark.
Learn how to call the moose in with calls or using your own grunts from your mouth ,cover lots of slashes and glass them as much as you can looking for moose getting up hi above the slashes if you can will help find moose below when glassing ,good luck..

limit time
06-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Taaaaagggggggggg

BiG Boar
06-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Nice. Take notes from this thread and moose hunting 101. Calling is easy if you follow the rules. Lots of great info. You'll get your moose if you put in your time!

CanuckShooter
06-24-2011, 05:22 AM
It's been so long I cannot remember how many moose we have harvested in 7-10...2/3/4 or more per season over a span of 25~30 years....a lot of moose anyway.

The best tip: Get out of bed in the morning, get off your atv, get out of your truck and put in some time on foot away from the main roads.