PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear Predatory Behavior

huntinnewbie
05-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Interesting article.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=28685839

CanuckShooter
05-11-2011, 10:11 AM
It still amazes me that they don't teach our kids in K-12 about predator attacks and what to watch for....there are so many city kids that just have no clue what a predator will do when they are stalking you. I was chatting with some tree planters, and they were telling about this black bear that kept showing up close to them...dumb azzes didn't realize the little bugger was building up the jazz to try and eat one of them!!

Mr. Dean
05-11-2011, 12:13 PM
IMO BB's are one animal that MANY people don't pay the respect it deserves. They can be down right scary and d e a d l y.

Mr. Dean
05-11-2011, 12:25 PM
IMO BB's are one animal that MANY people don't pay the respect it deserves. They can be down right scary and d e a d l y.

Too add;
My worse butt-puckers have all come from larger males in either the spring, summer or fall (1 instance in each season). They are extremely quiet stalkers in the thickest of scrub and will not give up even if they know you're aware of them.

Devilbear
05-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I used to know Stephen Herrero, when he first came to BC and his partner, John, mentioned in his book on bear attacks was on my first silviculture crew in the BCFS out of New Denver, at that time. I can recall the amusing attitudes about bears that most of these longhaired Americans had and how they actually believed the bullshit published by that total charlatan from New Jersey, IIRC, who had a cabin around Chetwynd and used what he heard from locals there to pose as a real "mountain man". I still know some of these people and still laugh at the stuff one sees on various forums about bears and humans.

Herrero is a nice guy and a genuine scientist, although others of like repute do not concur with all of his opinions. I totally agree on the nature of Black Bears and taught my workers for years to avoid contact with ANY bear, but, especially younger male Blacks as they usually cause the majority of attacks on humans.

Funny, though, with seven long wilderness fire lookout seasons, many years running silvicultural projects and camps in bear country plus many encounters while recreating in the bush, I have never had a problem with a bear of any type and have stood within feet of Blacks and yards of Grizzlies, armed and unarmed and they just look at me. I am totally nuts about bears and love watching them, but, I NEVER trust one!

It is really good to see the urban media print such material and I hope to see more of this.

05-11-2011, 01:02 PM
I agree that far too many people don't respect the power these animals. On the other hand there are too many people with irrational fear of bears. There have been 14 death's in the continental USA in the last hundred years, if you read some of the American hunting forums you would think no one should step into the bush without at least a .500 S&W on him or be prepared to become bear chow. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/where-the-black-bears-roam/article2017594/?from=2017628
(http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/where-the-black-bears-roam/article2017594/?from=2017628)

Big Lew
05-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I've read several articles and reports on predatory black bears....pretty scary stuff. Good thing most aren't after us for food. In my travels, especially in the south-west B.C. mountains, I've come across more bears than I can possibly estimate. I've had a few show agitation toward me, but only a couple that really worried me about their intentions. When I rode my bicycle through the Summit Lake area in northern B.C. I had one purposely stalk toward me, but I was able to have a truck run interference for me. I spent some time at Laird Hotsprings and was warned about their bear problems, (2 people were killed right off the wooden walkway and partly eaten) I have a huge respect for them and their speed and power, but it doesn't keep me from enjoying the outdoors. My best Friend and I used to chase them with our horses behind the Haney Prison garbage dump with long poles trying to poke them in the butt, and it was all our horses could do to keep up with them, they can run that fast.

wayne nicol
05-11-2011, 08:09 PM
no.1 killer in alaska, black bear
no.2 cow moose
no.3 grizzley

troutseeker
05-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Really, one should be wary of any wild animals.

killer_shot
05-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Really people should be happy so few are killed by bears. Do you have any idea how many bears are killed by people. If i was a bear i'd feel fully justified eating any random white person cruising through my forest. That being said i still dont care to carry any kind of protection unless im hanging out in grizzly territory, guess just grew up with them.

mjmbc
05-12-2011, 09:08 AM
even here in mcbride where we see blackies just about everyday the schools dont teach the kids anything about them a couple of friends and i did volenteer once to give a seminar at the elementary schools here but we werent taken up on the offer saying that the kids should learn this at home

gwillim
05-12-2011, 08:36 PM
An important detail to pay attention to is that predatory bear attacks generally occur in years when the usual food source (like huckleberries), is in short supply. Bears lose their natural wariness of people when the stomach gets too empty. This Spring, with the late snow melt might be just such a time that we should be a bit more wary of mis-behaved bears.

Devilbear
05-12-2011, 09:14 PM
I agree that far too many people don't respect the power these animals. On the other hand there are too many people with irrational fear of bears. There have been 14 death's in the continental USA in the last hundred years, if you read some of the American hunting forums you would think no one should step into the bush without at least a .500 S&W on him or be prepared to become bear chow. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/where-the-black-bears-roam/article2017594/?from=2017628
(http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/where-the-black-bears-roam/article2017594/?from=2017628)

That gave me quite the chuckle as I used to participate intermittently on a few hunting and backpacking forums based in the USA and your point is so true, the posters there with the least real bear experience always are those raving about their various bear defence pistolas and loads.

Typical, I guess and one finds that, if you dare suggest that hiking in bear country does not really require a "hawglaig" and a "big iron on muh hip", well, tarnation, podner, y'all jes gotta be some anti-'Murikin commie!

Some of the comments and "egspurts" I encounted on two forums, in particular, made even me wonder if gun control may not have some good points!

rides bike to work
05-13-2011, 03:19 PM
heres a question when a bear is charging when do you make the kill shot at 50 years 40 yards 30 yards oops to late hes got you

ROEBUCK
05-13-2011, 04:16 PM
heres a question when a bear is charging when do you make the kill shot at 50 years 40 yards 30 yards oops to late hes got you

you shoot straight and dont stop till hes down.

coyotebc
05-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Really people should be happy so few are killed by bears. Do you have any idea how many bears are killed by people. If i was a bear i'd feel fully justified eating any random white person cruising through my forest. That being said i still dont care to carry any kind of protection unless im hanging out in grizzly territory, guess just grew up with them.
Way to add to this thread