PDA

View Full Version : 3-44 Goat LEH

bcfirefly
05-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Anyone have any input to this area or 3-46 for Goat? My buddy helps guide north of there and we were thinking of seeing if the area was worth putting in for a goat. We go by horseback then hike where required so not as limited with poor access.
Thanks!

Alpine Addict
05-10-2011, 03:45 PM
I've seen goats back there before. Lots of horse trails too.

dana
05-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Lots of horse trails? Seriously, NOT! Not country I'd be taking a horse into unless I was prepared to spend a week or 2 doing a hell of a lot of chainsaw work. It is the land of Alder and Club. :)

CTmoose
05-13-2011, 09:30 PM
listen to dana

05-13-2011, 09:44 PM
I used to hunt 3-44 for goat with success on Billys too, it's tough country. Goat #'s are down there compared to years ago, as for the horse trails, I have to agree with Dana on that one. It's nothing but tough labour above the alders, steep in areas, beautiful country though.

CT

bcfirefly
05-13-2011, 10:58 PM
thanks for the input. decided to put in for the leh for that area and if luckly will spend a few weekends out there with the dirtbikes and scout out the area. if there is horse access then when we do go in for the hunt we may bring them along.

Mooseter
05-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Rough... not a country for horse or dirt bike...... goats are there but foot work is the only way..

dana
05-15-2011, 07:36 AM
The front country has some sled access trails to the highcountry. Much of it is no vehicle access outside the snowseason though. Horses might be an asset using those trails.....but a guy is going to have to do alot of foot and leg work to get into the goats IMO. The rest of the unit has zero sled access because of the mountain caribou. Many roads that show up as roads on google earth or the map books are just alder pits. It is amazing how fast the alder in that country can take over a road. Which subunit did you put in for? The northern subunit just had one of the better goat access roads pulled a year ago. And I mean pulled! Adolf FSR ain't no more. :)