PDA

View Full Version : Lakes to fly into the north country

vip_ruger
05-08-2011, 06:18 PM
I have been thinking on a fly in hunt and woundering which lake veterain hunters would say is the best to fly to in late july ,moodie , frog, pup,colt,dall,pike,netson,scoop, denitha , gatata, or mouth of the toad river ,ram lakes ? looking for info please

wos
05-08-2011, 06:39 PM
moody is a fun hunt but a bit of a grind going up.

Orangethunder
05-08-2011, 07:04 PM
You forgot Williston on your list.

BCrams
05-08-2011, 07:50 PM
All good spots. I'd hunt every single one of them without hesitation.

mfarrally
05-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Veteran sheep hunters don't tell people what the best sheep lake is. ;)

digger dogger
05-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Search Stoneslingers, "stone's sheep hunting locations"
There is a shit load of info on that thread..

bigneily
05-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Search Stoneslingers, "stone's sheep hunting locations"
There is a shit load of info on that thread.. hahhahahaa the shit load part made me laugh....Neil

kgriz
05-08-2011, 10:22 PM
I agree with bcrams that all are good, except maybe Netson as its a long way through crappy burns with blowdown to the sheep mountains per se...A pilot I flew onto Netson ferrying from Colt told us that several parties he has landed there never made it to the mountains. That being said, its tough to go wrong with Moody as its in the heart of sheep high density area....its a tough slug but that early in the season has a lot of daylight hours to lengthen the hike out to a reasonable pace.

Sitkaspruce
05-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Did the Netson trip.....once. Man what a tough hike!!! The burn is loaded with moose and there is good caribou up on the benches above the lake, but for sheep, there is easier.

But there is great hunting if you make it, as you are by yourself......

All the other lakes mentioned are good, go pick one and have some fun. Lots of country to explore and the trip is worth it, even if you do get a sheep.

Cheers

SS

vip_ruger
05-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info i think i will fly in to moodie or frog i got some time so a couple days hike to get on top is not that bad. i shot a goat back end of the williston and that was really tough but really nice country.If it was just killing it wouldnt be called hunting

44inchStone
05-11-2011, 09:14 PM
A Veteran Sheep hunter will give you a close too, there abouts, almost there and a "I think that was the place" answer. With so much research available to us now it really comes down to lots of glassing. Being able to afford the drive, now that we are being mugged with gas prices and be able to convince the wife that you just have to find the monster you saw the year previous. It took me a few trips to call myself a decent sheep hunter, not a MASTER by any means but continually work on my skills. With sheep hunting you always learn something new every year.