PDA

View Full Version : Do Big Mule Deer Bucks Respond to Antler Rattling, When, Where + How?

Jelvis
08-07-2006, 10:48 AM
---------------all posts deleted------------

ruger#1
08-07-2006, 11:06 AM
ive rattled in late october and have had mulys come in. i use small three point whitetail racks. i also use a quaker boy doe in heat bleat with it, it also works with the blactails around here, when they are in rut.i also use buck rut scent wafers. i always stay up hill , look for a draw that the deer come up, keep watching for movement in the distance.just rattle and bang the antlers on the ground once in a while to make the sound of hooves hitting the ground and add a few doe bleats. remember it works around the time the deer are rutting. ex cache creek, mid oct to dec. have fun. Mark

boonerbuck
08-07-2006, 12:00 PM
I've had incredible action some years and none others.

Like Ruger said, late Oct and early Nov. After that I don't even carry them with me.

I find most times instead of the buck coming in, they generally come out in the open for a good look and then hang around posturing and beating on bushes etc. A lot of the times the does walk out in the open first. Scan around the timber for movement. Most likely there will be bucks with them getting ornery somewhere. One year we had 5 bucks come to the edge of a hill where we knew they bedded after a quick rattle. One by one they appeared. One of them was a monster.

They biggest rack I have seen with my own eyes was a mid 190ish typical who came out after I rattled out 2 dinks. I was so occupied with the young bucks that I didn't even see him march out into the wide open. I fired 6 shots @80 yards at this guy and all were very low(rifle was shooting 18" low i find out later). Had no more ammo in my pocket and forgot my day pack in the truck. I almost walked right up to him after that. He continued with his antics trying to intimidate me as I tickled and grunted.

I walked away first.

This is how stupid they can get after a rattling session.

I've rattled in/out countless younger to mid aged bucks.

huntwriter
08-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Is there someone who is experienced with antler rattling, for muley bucks. Either by experience or from reading about it, in hunting mags or videos, who could shine a light on this subject. I have seen guys in the southern interior of B.C. that, say it works. Also if you have heard the word " sounding " which mule bucks do to locate another dominant buck. I need to know cause the muley season is very close (1) How to do it (2) Where to do it eg. On a hill etc. (3) How often to do it (4) Against trees or shrubs (5) What time of day (6) What time of the season is best (7) The size of antlers used. Can you think of things to help in this interesting way to locate Mule deer bucks? Antler rattling for Mule Deer does it really work? :idea: :confused: :sad:
I have not much experience with mule deer, but have been told by experienced muley hunters that the calling tactics for whitetail deer also work on muley’s.

1.)I have never heard of “sounding”, perhaps that is something unique to mule deer, whitetail bucks make different grunting sounds to greet another buck, a doe, or to challenge another buck. The greeting grunt is one to three soft grunts. The challenging grunt is a deep guttural aggressive sounding snort. All the sounds you need, can be produced easily with a quality grunt tube, such as on offer from Primos Game Calls or Knight & Hale Game Calls. Most of these calls come with an instructional video or sound tape. Listen to the sounds on the tape and then try to copy them on your calls. Good deer calls can be adjusted with a rubber “O” ring to produce the different sounds of bucks, does and even fawns.
2.)Game calling only works on trails where deer travel, near feeding and bedding areas. Unlike turkey and elk, deer will not go out of their traveled way to investigate a call.

Antler Rattling:

1.)Antler rattling can work if it is done right. The mistake some hunters make is to rattle to loud, to often, to aggressive and for to long.
2.)Same as above (under #2) with the addition that, at least by whitetail deer, transition areas (edges) are preferred places too.
3.)A rattling session should last not much longer than about 3 to 4 minutes and no more than ones every hour.
4.)Start your rattling antler session with a buck grunt or two. Then rake the antlers on tree trunks, a bush or on the ground. Grunt again hit the antlers on the ground or stamp with your feed. Click gently the antlers together then grind them against each other. Stop for a second or two and make one grunt call, stamp the ground again, now click the antlers a little harder and keep clicking louder, building up to a crescendo. As you do this move the antlers around in front of you and keep rustling the leaves on the ground with your feet.

Note:
What you try to achieve is to make the buck fight sound as natural as possible. When bucks fight they do not stay motionless and just bang the antlers together. They move around, circle each other, stomp the ground and snort. Antler rattling and calling works best from the ground. There is nothing natural about a deer calling or two bucks fighting 20 feet high up in a tree. Deer have very directional hearing they can pinpoint exactly where a sound comes from.
Try not to sound like two monster bucks fighting with each other. Sound like two inferior bucks. The reason for this is that if there are no big dominant bucks in the area you are liable to scare every single deer out of the area. Bucks are scared when they hear big dominant bucks fighting and won’t come to look and risk getting their butts kicked. However, all bucks even the dominant ones, will investigate a fight of two smaller bucks.

Watch out:
Bucks that come in to antler rattling do one of two things. Either they come rushing in like runaway trains (I got once almost run over by a buck). Or, and that is more often the case, they hang up well back and observe the area with their eyes, or they come sneaking in ever so quietly and always from downwind. Many bucks that come in to rattling are never seen by hunters, because the buck has either seen them from far away or has smelled the hunters from downwind.

While you rattle keep your eyes peeled and carefully look around you for the slightest movement. Don’t be afraid that a buck will detect your movement for as long he does not identify you as a human. Bucks that come to rattling expect to see movement.

After your rattling session pick your gun/bow up fast and be ready to shoot. Pick your shooting lanes before you start rattling. A buck that come to rattling will not stick around for long, as soon he realized that he has been fooled – that takes him only a second or two – he will be out of there faster than you can align your scope or settle the pin on him.

Trick the Buck out:
Over the years I have come up with several ways to prevent a buck from hanging up on me or sneaking in a big circle down wind of me. Set your rattling station up in such a way that any approaching buck has to come within shooting range to see what is going on. Such set ups can be just around a corner or below a ridge forcing the buck to come around the corner or over the ridge top to see what’s going on. If you are on the ridge top or in the wide open the buck will see you from a long way. Deadfall trees are perfect to bring a buck close, because the buck has to walk around the tree to see you.

I also like to set up with my back to a cliff or open field. Bucks that approach to rattling try to circle in the cover downwind from you to get behind you. Setting up in a way that prevents the buck from breaking cover and come into the open to get downwind from you leaves him no other choice but to come directly to you.

5.)Depending at the time of the season. In the early season, as soon they shed the velvet, bucks don’t fight but they wrestle with each other. Gentle rattling imitating a friendly match will work in the morning and in the evening when deer travel most. In the Pre-Rut the fighting gets a bit more serious but still somewhat friendly. Gentle rattling and lots of brush and bark raking will attract bucks all day long. Where the fighting can get very aggressive all day and night long is during the rutting season. I say, “can” because it depends at the buck to doe ratio. In areas where there are plenty does bucks have no need to fight. As soon the first doe comes in season the buck will stay with her until the next comes in season. In such areas leave the rattling antlers at home and hunt the does and the bucks will be there too. In areas where the buck to doe ratio is the same or almost even bucks will fight often and very fierce for the right to breed a doe, it is common to see two and more bucks trailing a doe or fighting. But such places are very rare in North America other than on trophy managed hunting land.
6.)Early season to pre-rut season and then again during the rut – conditions apply, see answer #5. - Some gentle rattling also can work in the late season in areas where there are many does and only a few bucks, as all the does which have not been breed during the rut will come in heat again (late rut).
7.)I use a normal commercial sized set of antlers and a rattling bag. Depending at the situation I use the rattling bag or the antlers. Real antlers work well too but have the tendency to splinter like glass ones the temps fall way below zero, not likely in BC. Size does not matter much however, what you do with them and how you do it will make all the difference.

Long answer to a lot of questions. Hope they are helpful to you.

Good Luck!

Jelvis
08-07-2006, 02:19 PM
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

MattB
08-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Personally, i dont rattle. I carry a shed around with me that i use to rake on trees/brush. This has always worked for me and over the past 3 years i have called in 4 bucks over 170", 2 of which i shot and both netted BC book. I normally use this method of calling from late october until the end of the hunting season. Usually anywhere between November 5th-20th is the best. Along with raking i burp (Learned this from Dana) to mimick a buck grunting, this works really well too! When the bucks come in they are very quiet but i usually know theyre coming because i can either hear them beating brush or i hear twigs snapping as they walk in. My buck last year i could hear coming in within 30 seconds after i finished raking. It still took the buck a few minutes to make it down to me but if you are patient and quiet you will have great success with this method of calling!

Jelvis
08-07-2006, 04:15 PM
------------------------------

MattB
08-07-2006, 04:53 PM
The areas I hunt are thicker timber with lots of ridges and valleys. I usually set up on the ridges where bucks are usually bedded during the day and try raking in those locations. I like to set up where i have a bit of a vantage point so i can see the deer coming in, but when the weather in November isnt in your favour i usually burp/rake as I walk along; that way the deer will think im another deer and not a human. If there is a lot of sign in the area i will sit and wait 30 minutes to an hour, if there isnt a lot of sign i may wait only 5 minutes and just listen as I walk to see if i can hear anything. Both of the bucks i shot had come in to the calling within 5 minutes time so waiting a lot of time doesnt really matter! Although some bucks do take their time coming in and Im sure there have been times i have walked away from a calling location and missed out on bucks.

For burping I just force air down my throat and let it out, doesnt matter much what I eat.

huntwriter
08-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Jelvis – Do I hear scent! Deer scent in combination with rattling and grunting can add more realism to the “show”. During the rut, and only during the rut, a doe-in-estrus scent can work very well also use a doe-in-heat-bleat call. As you rattle and buck grunt mix a doe bleat or two in. This gives other bucks the impression that two bucks fight for a hot doe and that he has a chance to steal her from the others.

However, be careful that you do not use too much deer scent. If the label on the bottle states that you should use a few drops then do not empty the content of the bottle in one spot. Does do not grow to be the size of a Holstein and bucks know that!;) Personally I do not make a scent station when I rattle. I use a spray bottle, give it a squeeze and the fine mist will permeate the air and is carried off by the air current. This is much better then if I put the scent on to a rag or vegetation.

“Now I got to see if I can sit in one place long enough…”
If you rattle it is best to move around and rattle from several pre-scouted places. Especially during the rut where bucks constantly move around you have a better chance of calling in a buck. When I rattle I keep on the move and cover a lot of ground in one day. Usually I wait for up to ¾ of an hour after I rattled and then move on. No need to rattle twice in an area. If the bucks do not come the first time they either have heard you but don’t care or there are no bucks around. Get up and move to another location. Besides, bucks never fight on the same spot twice, they settle their difference and then move on too.

Jelvis
08-07-2006, 05:50 PM

dana
08-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Jelvis,
Have tried slamming the tine several times but only with limited success. Seems muleys don't get into it as a hard as whiteys. On one of my Muley Crazy videos they show some good rattling action, but they say it's tough to get the big boys to come in.
I do use the rubbing antler and burping pretty much from the end of oct through the end of the season. I rub a lot. Sometimes I use the barrel of my rifle if I'm not carrying a shed. Have had tons of big bucks come in over the years. It works well in the thick crap where you only can see 20 metres in front of you. You bump a buck and just get that image of asses and antlers and you start pounding on a tree and burping, that buck is going to turn around and come and kick your ass. Works well with does too. If you bump some does and you don't want them messing up the deer beyond them, burping and racking calms them down. They'll allow ya to just walk on by.
As for scents, I only use the natural stuff. I'm too cheap to buy the store bought stuff. I find where a doe pissed in the snow, and I'll rub my legs in it. The first buck down in our group, I'll grap the tarsels and rub them all over me. Sometimes I'll just pack that sticky tarsel on the outside of my pack

Jelvis
08-08-2006, 08:28 AM
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

hunter1947
08-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Yes they do,i have called in a handfull of the big guys ,but you have to be well camoed up so they can't see you and the wind working for you ,Hunter 47.

Jelvis
08-08-2006, 04:13 PM
----------------------------

mark
08-08-2006, 04:54 PM
hey jelvis, yer gonna need patience and luck, as ive hunted big muleys all my life, but ive never had any luck with rattling, thats just me though!

boonerbuck
08-08-2006, 05:14 PM
You'd be surprised at how well it works when you look at an area you know deer are hiding in.

It's important to wipe clean from your mind all the White Tail rattling you've seen on TV/DVD for mule deer. You don't want to be anywhere near as aggressive unless you are in a wide open area and you know those bucks are farther away and you want them to show cause you can't catch up or get near them.

Tickle at first and build up to some decent sparing. I usually don't grunt but some hunters always do. I'll do some raking on bushes after a 1 minute sparing match but you want to be paying attention at this point!

Most times they are out for a look or trotting in before I finish my 1 minute session. Some times I've watched 10 minutes just to discover a buck looking over top of a bush and I must of over looked him several times. I've even seen bushes moving around on a calm day and it turns out I've worked one up but he's blocked from view.

Not the wisest decision in rifle season but I have walked right up to them after rattling by holding the antlers up beside my head and just steadily walked forward as close as 20 yards. This screws them up pretty good.

I found that once I had the confidence that I wasnt scaring them off it was effective. For the first couple of seasons I tried it I was way too worried that I was ruining my hunt. I got over that by working on the younger bucks I decided to pass on and seeing just how well you could manipulate them. I had bigger bucks walk out while working them also and that's all it took to have me completely sold.

Like I said in my first post though, some years I just had no luck at all with it. Last 2 years I had minimal success with it but 3 years ago I had rattled in/out over 15 bucks in a week.

Jelvis
08-08-2006, 05:40 PM

Jelvis
07-22-2008, 10:03 PM
------------------------

Rattler
07-23-2008, 06:57 AM
Jelvis - I have rattled in mule deer bucks and have watched them come from 100 yards to less than 20 yards. Using a combination of scent, calling and rattling does work. I haven't tried the decoys yet, but know buddies who have used them with success. I generally rattle from mid October on to the end of the season.
I find whitetails are far more aggressive and have had lots of luck rattling these guys in...

Huntwriter - good advice on rattling.

tooley
07-26-2008, 07:27 AM
Hey Jelly, in my experience, the whitetails will come runnin' but the mulies aren't usually that agressive. I find that they will come to see whats going on, but don't expect to get run over by one.

Jelvis
07-28-2008, 02:12 PM

Buckmeister
07-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Anybody else tried smashing the mule deer antlers together and what success did you have or not. How do you set up and when what how where etc. Let's hear your experiences and tricks for big mule deer bucks responding to rattling antlers-----Jel-rattle rattle rattle -
It was the last day for muley season last year when dad and I drove up to an old cut block known for big deer. There was some fresh snow from the night before so any track on the ground was fresh. We turned a corner and saw a doe, she studied us for a few secs then crossed the road into the thick stuff. We drove on, turned the truck around and parked, and waited. After awhile, dad pulled out some whitetail sheds and started a rattle. Within 5 secs that same doe came out to see what was going on. After waiting a few more minutes I walked down the road we came in on and dad walked the other way. I looked for fresh track but saw nothing. After 45 min to an hour I decided to head back to the truck. When I got close to where I started, there in the snow on top of my tracks was a VERY large set of muley tracks!
I can't help but think that if I had stayed close to where I started walking and waited instead, I would have seen that big dude come out not long after dad had rattled. Oh well, live and learn.

msawyer
07-29-2008, 06:45 AM
Hello all...

I have has some success rattling for mule deer but can't add too much to the previous points except for this...

When hunting with my son we have used a two man set-up on occasion. Essentially the shooter picks a spot where he can watch the ground around the rattler, sometimes from a tree stand or sometimes from a ridge or other elevated location. The rattler picks a location where visibility to very short (ie cluster of windfall, thick stand of young conifers) so deer have a hard time seeing him without coming in very close and rattles as per the others instructions.

The benefit to this approach is that the incoming deer are focused on the location of the rattle noises and is less likely to detect the shooter. The shooter also has the benefit of not having to rattle himself and is therefor able to be watchful and stay at the ready. The rattler on the other hand does not need to be anal about watching for incoming deer and can focus on making realistic noises... He/she does however have to be armed and pay some attention in the event that a buck sneaks in undetected by the shooter. This kind of setup can prove to be very entertaining and productive...

Mike
________
rolling a joint (http://howtorollajoint.net/)

Jelvis
12-31-2009, 04:14 PM
---------------------------

.257mag
12-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Yeah i have had great success with muleys i use a 3-point rack combined with a doe bleat and a few grunts,usally does the trick i hunt reg 3 north of the loops

Jelvis
12-31-2009, 07:06 PM
oooooooooooooooo

dino
01-01-2010, 10:12 AM
The areas I hunt are thicker timber with lots of ridges and valleys. I usually set up on the ridges where bucks are usually bedded during the day and try raking in those locations. I like to set up where i have a bit of a vantage point so i can see the deer coming in, but when the weather in November isnt in your favour i usually burp/rake as I walk along; that way the deer will think im another deer and not a human. If there is a lot of sign in the area i will sit and wait 30 minutes to an hour, if there isnt a lot of sign i may wait only 5 minutes and just listen as I walk to see if i can hear anything. Both of the bucks i shot had come in to the calling within 5 minutes time so waiting a lot of time doesnt really matter! Although some bucks do take their time coming in and Im sure there have been times i have walked away from a calling location and missed out on bucks.

For burping I just force air down my throat and let it out, doesnt matter much what I eat.

Matt when your burping are you trying to mimic the sound of a grunt? When raking do you just rake the ground and wait. When I still hunt the early season I would like to mask some of my sound because the bush is so loud, I have been using a doe bleat but all I seem to attract is other does and I have a feeling that Im pushing any mature bucks away. My area I hunt is a little steep but has lots of ridges,cooleys and rock bluffs in thick timber with a hell of alot of sign so I think there are some big boys around, do you have any advice on this one.

Jelvis
02-19-2010, 09:22 PM
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Spy
02-19-2010, 09:59 PM
What size antlers are best to bang together, bigger or smaller?
..real antlers or the canned version rattler..?
Jelly tell me now!

The biggest rack you can find,They are the best to bang. Just Bang them hard! :mrgreen:

Jelvis
05-21-2010, 10:49 PM
------------------------------

Jelvis
05-22-2010, 11:13 AM
---------------------

OutWest
05-22-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm not sure if the hugest buck would come in at first, maybe a couple good sized bucks circling slowly getting the drift of things .. a 170 and a 160 coming on board
How many of us could pass on that pure 170 typ?
So Big Louey escapes again, because he waited for the inexperienced to check and get into trouble ..
Summary: If you can wait or can't then do .. Rifle .. Know what you want .. Take nothing le$$
Jellne$$ ... Make the best choice at the time and circumstance that you Find Yourself Inn ..

Passed on a 170 last year. Not so much my choice though. Got my dad on the radio and told him I had a very nice 4pt at 80 yards. He told me not to take him unless he was an absolute beaut. He was a dandy and I was real close to pulling the trigger and held off but it wasn't an easy thing to do. It would have been my biggest buck to date. I was pretty upset at myself after letting him go as I was able to watch him feed for a good 20 minutes. Luckily dads advice worked out and I ended up shooting a 6x4 later on. Dad knows best!

Jelvis
05-22-2010, 02:21 PM

hunter1947
05-23-2010, 05:42 AM
#1 November #2 anywhere #3 They will sneak in to investigate..

Jelvis
05-23-2010, 12:51 PM
-----------------------

Jelvis
10-23-2010, 06:42 PM

Jelvis
11-21-2010, 08:21 PM
----------------------------

Big7
11-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Get off your computer and hunt...this thread is 2 yrs old.....think anything has changed?

Jelvis
11-21-2010, 08:34 PM

takla1
11-21-2010, 08:38 PM
See ruger#1 b t tread from today...we"ve been rattling,raking and doe bleating in our spot all week,had a couple dink spikes passed on then this 3 pt showed up today and he was coming into all the rattleing!Three buck today showed!!

Jelvis
11-21-2010, 08:45 PM
==============

Getbent
10-17-2012, 04:08 PM
So Jelvis,

it has been curious to note how from all the way back in '06 you seemed fairly...stable?
And slowly every year you asked the same question and slowly got more and more erratic over time.
I am curious if you ever called in or rattled a mulie that was a shooter or even at all....

I was searching for people that employ whitetail tactics for muley's cause as I get older and the wear and tear on my knees add up, i was looking to get some insight to this question as I still want to hunt with my 11 year old son who only wants to climb and hike, so hopefully we can split part of the difference :).
the first few posts from writer, booner and Dana were money...but the real fun was reading your posts as they slowly went sideways over the years...

Just an observation.

Cheers,

Getbent

Jelvis
10-17-2012, 09:13 PM
9999999999 deleted