PDA

View Full Version : kenetrek boots?

Husky7mm
05-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Who has a pair? How do you like them? Would you recommend the 10 inch high hunting boot or the 7 inch hiker. The boot will be lived-in in the mountians from june to october. Muledeer, goat and hopfully sheep. How are the soles on the wet rocks and light snow covered terrain. Slippery? Loud?

stoneguide
05-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Mine are great. I have the taller version as I wouldnt own a shorter pair as they are to low for crossing alot of smaller creeks. The soles have worked well for me, quiet and great traction. Mine have been in all weather and conditions.
They worked well last year when hunting Alberta for antelope, bighorns, elk, moose and deer in all the different conditions and terrains and they also worked well trapsing around the Yukon after sheep caribou and moose. Ive owned alot of different boots and these by far are my favorites. Even put a good 20 days in last winter running cougars with them and still no comlplaints.
SG

sheepaholic
05-07-2011, 02:27 PM
i have a pair and love them by far the best boots ive ever owned i wore them on a sheep trip last year walked 74 kms in them and had no issue with noise slipping they were great i have the 10 inch boots and found when walking down a flat trail i just laced them up half way to the top for more flex i would buy another pair and recommend them to everyone

MattW
05-07-2011, 02:28 PM
If by the 10 inch hunter you mean the mountain extremes I have a pair and like them very well. We saw a lot of wet rocks this past fall and they were not slippery at all, not slippery in the snow either. They were not loud. I used Obenaufs wax on them and my feet stayed nice and dry too, no blisters either. All in all a very comfortable and durable pair of boots.

Husky7mm
05-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Good stuff. I like a taller boot but someone told me you could burn out your calf muscle to early from a tall boot is that true. I usually where a gaitor with my hikers, so i dont mind a 7 inch boot if it better for hiking. Where in canada do i order these boots?

killman
05-07-2011, 04:09 PM
They have a big display on right now at the PG gun show. Tried to talk to the guy, but I guess I looked like I couldn't afford them or something.

pnbrock
05-07-2011, 06:46 PM
just did a pile of research on the boots everyone says the same thing ,best boots in the world aswell as warranty to go with them.my kenetrex should be here mid week.

snareman1234
05-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Unreal warranty. I had a pair for a whole year, they were built soo well, but I finally got around to thinking why the front balls of my feet were hurting a little bit, and decided my 11's were too narrow. I sent them to Kenetrek, they gave me a full refund no questions asked, on a pair of boots that were worn hard, with scratched heavy leather and torn up soles.

I ordered a pair of lowa hunters....found them too narrow, so now I have a pair of lowa and kenetreks coming in wide. I plan on keeping the Kene's b/c they seem way better built to me. Way better leather thats for sure. And you can't complain with the customer service.

swampthing
05-08-2011, 07:43 AM
I run the 10" mountain extreem and their winter pack boots. Love em both. Riccardo at the PG gun show is quiet, at first. I spent a half hour there yesterday with him and his wife. I bought some kenetrek socks and he gave me free wax and laces. These boots are ultra comfy and I dont think the tall models are hard on calf muscles. My extreems are going into there 3rd or 4th year now. I dont put on the miles like I used to but they dont sit on the shelf either. I would guess with hard use you would get 2 years [hunting guide] and for an active mountain hunter you may get 3 years. Comfort is awesome in these boots. I do find they are noisy though. This is comparing them to the danner bobsole. Mine have the x-tallon sole. I see their latest model has a new sole which looks slippery to me. I understand it is supposed to wear better than the x-tallon. My x-tallons dont show much wear. I dont own much high end gear, except for these boots. Buy some and join "Team Kenetrek". PS, I run their gators too.

ytlogger
05-08-2011, 09:43 AM
I think there is a Kennetrek dealer in Williams Lake. Not to hijack the original question, but I bought a pair of Hanwags last summer and they are also a great boot. I got a tall boot for the first time in my life and as soon as I put them on they just felt right. They only make one width and I usually wear 3 or 4 E. There is no substitute for trying on lots of boots. Different feet like different boots.

ytlogger
05-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Go to Kennetrek site and you will find lots of outlets in BC under dealer locations.

Husky7mm
05-09-2011, 08:54 AM
I couldnt find a dealer even close to cranbrook. I hope they didnt change their sole to much I want the traction and the quietness of a softer sole. There are more than enough hard and loud soled boot choices out there. How are they for side hilling? How about their sizes, do they fit big or small, I am anywhere from an 11-13 depending on brand?

Everett
05-09-2011, 03:09 PM
On my second pair will not be buying them again the soles suck and not alot of ankle support. They will be staying home when we head North this year.
Now on the upside pretty good customer service replaced my first pair when I wore the soles out in 65 days of hunting. New pair are headed the same way.

Husky7mm
05-09-2011, 04:36 PM
ouch! Thats a lot different than every one else's experence. What would you buy instead? Does any one know if the hanwags have a "softer" sole than most vibram styled soles?

Everett
05-09-2011, 04:49 PM
I have gone back to Cabelas brand meindels I will at least get two years out of them for half the price. Now on the flip side my Kennetreks are the most comfortable boots that I have ever owned but three sprained ankles in two years while wearing them means they are for day hiking only. I tend to prognate so wear out the outside of the heals of my boots. I usualy get two full years out of a pair or boots with vibram soles the Kennetreks lasted 65 or so days and the heals were toast. I have been babying the replacement pair so maneged to get 50 days on them last fall might get 50 more if I am carefull and avoid rock.
Spankies and Ski Hause in Kallispell sell them.

Maxx
05-09-2011, 05:00 PM
I also hate the soles of my kenetrecks, I would never buy another pair of their boots unless they buck up and use a vibram sole. The kenetreck soles are slippery, wear out fast and have nowhere near the grip my meindls have.

Husky7mm
06-04-2011, 02:40 PM
I heard nothing good about cabelas meindels , did something change? As for slippery I find the hard vibram sole very slippery on wet rocks and logs. The kenetrek web site mentioned a new sole of some kind. Any hanwag lovers out there what are the soles like, hows the ankle support?

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
06-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Any one try the diffeernt models of the Kenetrek boots ? like the moutain guide ? i assume everyone runs the moutain extreme 400 ?

pnbrock
06-05-2011, 10:19 AM
first hunt in my mountain extremes ,hands down the best boot i have ever owned.out of box comfort.