PDA

View Full Version : Just saw my first bear this year!

alexboyprin
05-05-2011, 08:46 PM
I just went for a ride near town tonight and i saw my first black bear of the year. I did not have my rifle with me but i am not sure i would have shot this bear anyways because it looked a bit small to me. This bring me to a problem that i have. I find it difficult to judge the size of a bear. He may have been 200 pounds or 300 pounds that is a close as i can estimate. What if one shoot a bear that 'is too small'? is it an offence? how can one judge if the bear is 'big enough' when one have only a few second to take the decision?

bye
alexboy

shoot to kill
05-05-2011, 08:48 PM
well dont shoot a cub or any bear with it and you will be ok....

if you have doubts dont shoot it....once you see a real good bear you will know, you will be fumbling for shells

Slime green cat
05-05-2011, 09:08 PM
how can one judge if the bear is 'big enough' when one have only a few second to take the decision?

bye
alexboy

Im not a bear hunter, but there is no way you should be only taking a few seconds to decide if a bear is a shooter ... its not only size . How can you be sure its not a sow with cubs in a few seconds ? I have watched a bear for several minutes before realizing there was a cub with her in a nearby bush . Wait and see and be 100% sure ... in the meantime, you will have plenty of time to size up the bear .

alexboyprin
05-06-2011, 08:57 AM
...thanks guys. i was pretty sure there was no cubs because this bear ran across the road (alone) and on the other side, ran for about 50 meters (still alone) and stopped. I was satisfy he was alone and male at that point and i could see him through the trees. My only concern was that it was too small and that it may have been a bear under 2 years old. I think i will take up glassing the clear cut. that will give me more time to judge the situation.

bye
alexboy

Steeleco
05-06-2011, 09:39 AM
You can generally "assume" that any bear alone is 2 years old. But if it's looks small it is. Many bears will look much larger than they are. The have been known to shrink LOL The longer you have to observe the bear the better. If the animal isn't panicked or even aware of your presence, take your time. A few members on here can tell you about a cub showing up after a long viewing period. Tips to help with judging size: large spacing between ears, little or no light to be seen between the legs, belly and the ground. Bears viewed from below on a incline can be deceiving, good time to take your time!!!

We can never know for sure, but it's our duty to do the best we can. Good luck.

LYKTOHUNT
05-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Saw my first bear heading to Prince George just before Stone Creek and it was still there when I came back home

05-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Glassing and watching is way more fun then just killing them anyway. It is both safer and funner. Bear hunting is easy you need to find ways to make it,,,,, Sporting,,,, for lack of a better term. As for judging size generally if you think it looks small it probably is. Look at the ears, if they look like they are on top of the head it is small. If they look like they are on the side of the head,,,,,, wait fo a good broadside shot!

Dont make bear hunting more complicated then it needs to be. Go out there look at some bears, there everywhere so you can be as picky as you like. You dont need to shoot one in the spring, if you buy a tag now you have till June and then September to December. If you havent looked at piles of bears by December you should take up Golf!

Foxton Gundogs
05-06-2011, 09:51 AM
The big ones just look BIG never a question when you se a really good bear.

brazen
05-10-2011, 09:01 PM
How do you tell a boar from a sow besides the presence of cubs?

35 Whelen
05-10-2011, 09:32 PM
If you see one that looks like this.....it's a big bear. :mrgreen::mrgreen:3448

buck nash
05-10-2011, 09:36 PM
How do you tell a boar from a sow besides the presence of cubs?

This has got some good info.
https://secure.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=bearbaiting.bearchoice