PDA

View Full Version : Kootenay hunting gear

bensonvalley
08-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Any suggestions/tips with respect to clothing and gear for a backpack camping hunt in the E Kootenays would be much appreciated. There's two of us, both fit and capable hikers and we plan on being there around the middle of Sept....not sure if we'll make it for Sept 10 but we're hoping to make it. We've never hunted this area at this time of year so we don't have a good idea of what to expect weatherwise.

rocksteady
08-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Depends on the year.

Usually cool at night, not usually frost though. And mid 20's by early afternoon...

Dress in layers, Make sure you bring game bags to keep the flies (and yellow jackets, they are 10 times worse) off your meat.

I usually don't even use a tent, just a ground sheet strung up in the trees, in case it rains...

Mike

boonerbuck
08-06-2006, 03:46 PM
It all depends.

What are you hunting? Are you hunting at the higher elevations?

If you are hunting higher country elk you can have snow. Are you hunting sheep? Very likely you will see snow at some point.

Trapper
08-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Be prepaired for just about any kind of weather that time of year,A typical year is like rocksteady says.but you just never know,wouldn't be the first time that i've taken a bull elk on opening day in the high country in the the snow (mind you the snow does'nt stay around long)
good luck
Trapper

bensonvalley
08-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the replies, we'll be going after elk, so mid to upper elevations.

boonerbuck
08-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the replies, we'll be going after elk, so mid to upper elevations.

I know someone who was in region 4-1 for the elk opener last season and got hit hard by snow.

Good luck. I'll be elk hunting in the Northern Rockies myself in about 12 days.:grin:

bensonvalley
08-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Here's another question, what do you guys do about water? Do you bring those water micro-filter hand pumps? Like I said, I never camped around those parts and on the coast I'll just drink out of pretty much any creek but I don't know anything about the E Kootenays.

Seeadler
08-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Last year it was raining on Sept 10 and that turned to snow in the evening. This was in 4-1, 4-2, 4-22, etc.

For water in that area I drink out of the creeks, when I go to areas that I am not familiar with though I use "Katadyn Micropur MP 1" tablets to treat the water.

Krico
08-07-2006, 11:07 PM
You can also try the water purification drops-they come in 2 separate eye droppers, you just mix 5 drops of each with your water. It's a little more work than the tablets but I find the taste better. I can't remember the name brand of the stuff I use right now.

hunter1947
08-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Any suggestions/tips with respect to clothing and gear for a backpack camping hunt in the E Kootenays would be much appreciated. There's two of us, both fit and capable hikers and we plan on being there around the middle of Sept....not sure if we'll make it for Sept 10 but we're hoping to make it. We've never hunted this area at this time of year so we don't have a good idea of what to expect weatherwise. Take warm clouthing pete ,it can drop like a rocket ship temputure wise as soon as the sun sets it can drop anywere from 6 to 10c ,it gets cold fast and the daytime temp could be up around 25c and then it can rain like hell ,so go prepared. It snowed last year on the opening day my friend in cranbrook told me. and as far as drinking water goes ,get a small burner and a cup ,boil your water befor drinking it,or get a water purifier to filter your water???. if you whan't to no anymore send me a private message pete, wayne.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

chevy
08-08-2006, 05:29 PM
I live in the kootenay region 4 and hunt elk every day in the elk season i advise you to put on something light in the mornings it may be a little chilly but come midday you will be thankfull and always carry an extra jacket just in case something light but warm and yes you can drink out of pretty much any creek as we have the best tasting water down here no matter where you are it is awesome the weather can change here on the drop of a dime so expect the unexpected but i always dress light in the mornings and we are up to where we want to be when it is still dark just before daylight it is chilly like i said but you will be thankfull because after hiking up high for that big bull you will always put on a sweat hope this helps you but this is what i always do in the elk season and we hunt up very high for the bulls around here(too many guys hunting down low on the roads and lower trails)

hunter1947
08-08-2006, 06:08 PM
I would not drink out of any stream unless you no for sure that the cattle have not been in that area ,they crap in the streams,wayne.

Islandeer
08-08-2006, 06:58 PM
I hunt down near Newgate for Whiteys in November, a little differant than early season gear. Lots of poly,fleece and wool. Layer as you see fit, some thing to break the wind is important too. When we climb for muleys on the other side we start in the dark with only a light poly on top, you can sweat all you like as the poly wicks well. Once on top change your poly,throw on your fleece or standields and sneak around all day. Of course the usual well equiped day pack is an essential. and do not drink the water, I got beaver fever one hunt,not much fun.:-(

chevy
08-09-2006, 08:35 PM
I personally have never had a problem with drinking the water as when i go hiking i usually only take a small cup a few apples and my packboard and i get success almost every year with elk, sometimes with the gear i have i will hike all day and spend the night up under a tree on top of the mountain, of course i take a warm jacket just in case but the water and weather don't bother me i hunt in the rain,snow or when it's nice out...

Brambles
08-09-2006, 09:11 PM
I would not drink out of any stream unless you no for sure that the cattle have not been in that area ,they crap in the streams,wayne.

I don't know about the vast portions of the east kootenays but in the west kootenays and the small amounts of the east kootenays that I've hunted I have never run into cattle.

Now region 8 is a different story, there are cows all over that country, still grazing well into hunting season.