PDA

View Full Version : Place to buy wings, pigeons, etc.

helios
05-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Is there a place in GVR that sells either bird parts (wings, etc.) or live birds (e.g. pigeons) that could be used to train a bird hunting dog?

Thanks!

yukon john
05-04-2011, 04:32 PM
fraser valley auctions in langley, there is a sale every saturday morning

Buck
05-04-2011, 06:05 PM
fraser valley auctions in langley, there is a sale every saturday morning

That is the place to go.I raise my own now from birds i bought there so they are always at hand but it is a bit of work and expense.

Foxton Gundogs
05-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Build yourself a couple of pigeon traps and get some corn there are lots of ferral birds around that folks would love to be rid of.

Tyee
05-04-2011, 08:21 PM
raise birds in north van in the early 70s for the bird hunters, caught them at the grain elevators. just a kid at that time. you could get lots of free grain on the tracks back then..not bad eating also...

Ioneth
05-05-2011, 12:26 AM
http://www.fraservalleyauction.com/index.html

Saturday Mornings starting at 9:30 for birds

I got a duck there a while ago I wasn't very smart because I let my wife come along the whole ride home she stared at the duck and "bonded" with it. I got in trouble for killing it when I got home lol

helios
05-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!

4ptbuck
05-05-2011, 03:20 PM
I was thinking about buying a pigeon or 2 for training.
How do the auctions work?

Kinda nervous about the auction thing.

Foxton Gundogs
05-05-2011, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=4ptbuck;910207]I was thinking about buying a pigeon or 2 for training.
How do the auctions work?

Kinda nervous about the auction thing.[/QUOT

You register (get there early so you can get a bidder# and check out whats coming up for bid. They bring in the "lots" or in some cases you follow the autioneer to the lots. for poltry they usually sell a number of critters at each bid call for instance lot #1 may be a cage of 3 birds( the cange does not go with the bird as a rule unless stated by the auctioneer so bring a dog crate or something) the bidding starts and usually they bid per bird so if there are 3 birds and you win the bid at say $4 the price you pay is $4X3. this is not always the case so pay attention to what the auctioneer says befor the biding starts. To give you a benchmark a pigeon shouldnt cost more than $5 each (unless they are "fanceys) you want hommers or "rats"(crossbreds they will look like the park type pigeons) cuz they are the strongest flyers. If you win the bid you take your bidder card to the office and pay taxes are not included in the bid price. Confused? dont be its kinda self explanitory IF you listen CLOSELY. Have fun its a social event but beware when bidding frenzy cuts in you can see stuff sell for 2-3 times their worth.

Good luck.

4ptbuck
05-09-2011, 03:23 PM
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/grd/2370164694.html