PDA

View Full Version : 7-50 G-bear

HD95
05-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Would any of you members know why there is only one leh authorization for the whole 7-50 mu? Last time in this country we were dodging bears all the time.In fact when I killed a six point elk,I don't think 15 minutes went by and a g-bear showed up. The adjacent areas all have many more tags available.Has the kill rate been really high? Thanks for your input.

.330 Dakota
05-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Thats an easy one to answer, the area is hunted alot, and there are TONS of frikin bears in there. I have a buddy that owns a forestry company that takes his family and employee's in there on a fly in trip every year(cool eh?) and they see between 6 and 20 bears per trip.
They have to be very carefull and they hunt in groups of 2-3 people at all times.
I have noticed the LEH system gives out lotas of tags where the access is limited or there are fewer bears and they are hard to find, interesting isnt it.

bridger
05-04-2011, 08:12 AM
grizzly bear allocation in 7b is a dog's breakfast and has been from the get go. the reason for only 1 res tag in 7-50 is that the moe give almost a100% of the harvest to non residents and give residents their regional share in less pristine and harder to hunt areas. don't get me going on this issue or I am liable to make willie look like a choir boy. lol

elkdom
05-04-2011, 08:24 AM
grizzly bear allocation in 7b is a dog's breakfast and has been from the get go. the reason for only 1 res tag in 7-50 is that the moe give almost a100% of the harvest to non residents and give residents their regional share in less pristine and harder to hunt areas. don't get me going on this issue or I am liable to make willie look like a choir boy. lol
X2! right on, the success rate in 7-50 would be about 99.9% for residents drawn for spring Grizz,

the MOE likes to sell hundred of LEH GRIZZ tags in lots of other areas with dismal or low success rates,,,

like giving out 30 grizz LEH allotments in an area that it will be extremely lucky if 3 Grizz are taken in any one year by residents,
lots of money in selling LEH cards and Grizz tags for areas with low success rates, for the MOE and General revenue coffers,,,

HD95
05-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Yikes; Another contentious resident vs. outfitter allocation issue.What a surprise.I was just filling in my yearly donation cards and thought it would be nice to have an opportunity to hunt g-bear whilst hunting elk.

bridger
05-07-2011, 06:12 AM
Would any of you members know why there is only one leh authorization for the whole 7-50 mu? Last time in this country we were dodging bears all the time.In fact when I killed a six point elk,I don't think 15 minutes went by and a g-bear showed up. The adjacent areas all have many more tags available.Has the kill rate been really high? Thanks for your input.

sorry guys but my reply on this post originally was not accurate. it is true that grizzly allocation in 7b historically has been a dogs breakfast, but is currently being handled correcty. first off in 7 50 for 2011 there is no non resident quota. the only tag is the one resident tag. the annual allowable harvest has apparently reached maximum for this allocation period so the guide quota's are gone for this year and giving one resident leh tag keeps the window open. I have hunted 7-50 lots and there doesn't seem to be shortage of bears, but lacking good inventory our local managers are following the overhall g bear harvest strategy. It does appear that population estimates are being reviesed so maybe we will have more tags down the pike.

willy442
05-07-2011, 07:22 AM
sorry guys but my reply on this post originally was not accurate. it is true that grizzly allocation in 7b historically has been a dogs breakfast, but is currently being handled correcty. first off in 7 50 for 2011 there is no non resident quota. the only tag is the one resident tag. the annual allowable harvest has apparently reached maximum for this allocation period so the guide quota's are gone for this year and giving one resident leh tag keeps the window open. I have hunted 7-50 lots and there doesn't seem to be shortage of bears, but lacking good inventory our local managers are following the overhall g bear harvest strategy. It does appear that population estimates are being reviesed so maybe we will have more tags down the pike.

I was writing a reply to your other post to correct you. Same as always, blame it on the guides. I will now delete it. I wish you could have finalized the deal on the Besa River area a couple of years ago. Then maybe you wouldn't be so eager to jump to conclusions. I also agree the allowable bear harvest in that area should be alot higher.

kgriz
05-07-2011, 09:30 AM
There are lots of reasons for weird tag numbers.....in my favorite spot near PG tags went from 20 to one this year based on poor success rate....apparently the fact that 2 big bridges in the zone were pulled which cut access almost to zeron escaped the managers notice.

Poor harvest.....we saw 11 gbears in about 4 days of hunting!

jml11
05-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Thats an easy one to answer, the area is hunted alot, and there are TONS of frikin bears in there. I have a buddy that owns a forestry company that takes his family and employee's in there on a fly in trip every year(cool eh?) and they see between 6 and 20 bears per trip.
They have to be very carefull and they hunt in groups of 2-3 people at all times.
I have noticed the LEH system gives out lotas of tags where the access is limited or there are fewer bears and they are hard to find, interesting isnt it.

A lot of those sightings are the same bear by different people, one year we ran into the same bear 4-5 times...lol. But there are definitely a ton of bears in that area and we have seen upwards of 5-6 different bears in a single day. I have heard rumblings that there are more than tolerable 'self defense' kills in the zone by both residents and non-residents, but the number of bears seen each year doesn't suggest that is having an impact if it is even true. In the 10+ years of that company going into 7-50 with anywhere from 18 to 30 hunters a year, no one has ever had to shoot a bear in self-defense...some have lost 'pieces' of elk to the bears though...and the gut piles are claimed pretty darn quick!

bridger
05-07-2011, 03:01 PM
I was writing a reply to your other post to correct you. Same as always, blame it on the guides. I will now delete it. I wish you could have finalized the deal on the Besa River area a couple of years ago. Then maybe you wouldn't be so eager to jump to conclusions. I also agree the allowable bear harvest in that area should be alot higher.

not to belabor a point but the original grizzly bear allocations in 7b were pretty lopsided. the tags in the good areas (7-50 for one)were just about all allocated to quota and most of the resident share was allocated in the less desirable areas. it will be interesting to see what happens when the new allocation period starts and quota's are given out again. that will be the test. as far as finalizing a deal on the besa I am at a loss on that one.

pappy
05-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Non-residents should not be allowed to hunt anything on limited entry in any of the M/U's. Shouldn't matter how much money the guides throw at our gov't. Non-residents should ONLY be allowed to hunt in the general open season hunts, this way the guides still get to do "what they love" and "contribute" to conservation.