PDA

View Full Version : Taiga sleeping bags

BromBones
05-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Time to replace the old worn out sleeping bag, looking at the Taiga Thousand-One nights bag.

Hear good reports for the most part, I'm just curious if anyone here uses or have used Taiga products and how they've worked out for you.

Thanks.

wos
05-03-2011, 08:32 PM
My first down bag was a taiga. It was great for a longtime then I eather started camping in colder places or the bag lost some of its loft. I replaced it with an Asolo bag witch Im not toatly happy with. Its verry warm but ther is always down pushing out of the seems and it bugs me. So yes I would buy another taiga bag but probably one of there higher end ones.

MBOGO
05-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Have been using two of their bags for about six years and love them. One has the gore outer shell works great

Elkaddict
05-04-2011, 07:14 AM
I had a Taiga down barrel bag for years, and it served me well until the day it got sucked out the escape hatch of my camper somewhere on the Yellowhead highway:icon_frow

Stone Sheep Steve
05-04-2011, 07:37 AM
I've heard good things about Taiga products on here many times.....however; just before our sheep hunt a buddy ordered a new Taiga down bag with waterproof coating and a new 2 man Taiga bivy. Bivy was supposed to come with the seams already taped and sealed but they obviously were not. Leaked like a sieve and ruined our hunt. On a positive note, his bag kept him dry amongst the puddles in the bivy. Too bad I didn't have one.:(

SSS

d6dan
05-04-2011, 08:18 AM
I've had my Taiga down barrel bag since 1989. Never had a cold night in it!. Well built bag. Just remember to never store it in the stuff sack. Hang it up so the down can breathe. I had it washed recently with "nikki wax down cleaner", and now its just like new again.:-D

Riverratz
05-04-2011, 10:01 AM
I've had my Taiga down barrel bag since 1989. Never had a cold night in it!. Well built bag. Just remember to never store it in the stuff sack. Hang it up so the down can breathe. I had it washed recently with "nikki wax down cleaner", and now its just like new again.:-D

X 2.
We had ours custom made around that time as well. Gortex outer shell, white goose down filled with a -30C rating. (that rating at the time was without any form of shelter).
We had found other "mummy" style bags far too restrictive in the past, so ordered the "tapered barrel" style instead and very glad we did. It was a good trade off between the lesser size/weight of a "mummy" vs the larger size/weight of a typical rectangular style.
We winced and thought long and hard about the considerable $$$ expense at the time, but since biting the bullet and making the right decision have never looked back........they are worth every nickel and have been excellent in every respect.
Like many things, treat them right and they will literally last a lifetime. We always store them hanging out of the compression sacks during off season which I think has lengthened the service life considerably, the loft of the down has never changed since new. They have never leaked, the superior design and construction provides absolutely no cold spots anywhere.
When you first get it, it looks enormous.... you wonder how you'll ever get that thing into that tiny little comp. sack, but after a while you learn a few little tricks and it's easily done. Don't recall exact weights, but somewhere around the 3 lb. mark, extremely light and compact.

As for the temp. rating.....Taiga's sage advice was to ALWAYS buy a bag that is rated colder than what you expect to experience. It is much easier to un-zip, or hang an arm or leg out if too warm, as opposed to the alternative impossible task of trying to warm up in a bag not suited to the conditions. Many times, in warmer temps. we don't even zip them up, just throw them over top and it's plenty. It was good advice that we followed and have no regrets on that point. It makes complete logical sense. If it's too warm, open it up. If it's too cold, you're sunk and you have no recourse except to be cold and miserable, ruining what could have been a great trip. For the very few extra ounces of additional down to ensure the warmth, it's a wise trade-off.
The worst part of these bags is forcing yourself to get out of it on those sub-zero mornings when you can see your breath.
Taiga also provide advice for taking the proper measurements to assist you in picking the right dimensions for your body size. Allow for generous room inside, and sufficient loft (temp. rating).....you won't be sorry.

We met a couple of well-seasoned sheep hunters on a river trip up north a couple of years ago who had just spent 7 days up in the rocks with no tent.....they both had Taiga bags (Gortex outer shell) and stated they were the best they'd ever owned. They were pretty hungry and stayed a couple of nights at our camp at our invite and we fattened them up a bit with some "real" food, ....they slept out under the trees in -0 temp. without complaint.

Based on about 20 years experience with Taiga bags, (there's obviously lots of life left in them yet), they get our highest rating.

BCLongshot
05-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Good bags

My wife has a down vest that she has tried to ruin. Uses it for everything and it's been 13 yrs, still looks like new.

pescado
05-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Have used them for awhile now. Are they the best ??? I'm sure if you looked hard enough you'd come up with something with a better cut, zipper...(yada yada) but they work fine and will keep you warm at night so you can get some sleep. The next bag I buy will be another Taiga. I support the store when I can as they are CDN, have decent gear and have managed to hang in there for awhile now.

BromBones
05-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Sounds good, thanks for the feedback fellas.

Got one on it's way. :)

d6dan
05-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Worth every penny!!. If you go there, they can make the bag to fit you.(at least they used too).

BromBones
05-04-2011, 06:51 PM
They were pretty good about sizing, sent me an e-mail after I ordered to get my height & measurements before billing me so they'd know if I had ordered the right size.

Looking forward to trying the bag out when I head up for grizz in a week.

ohotnik
05-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Taiga bags are good, but not suiatable for bigger men... I do not mean overweight or fat, just big. I tryied to order the bag to my specs, but the biggest one they could make still was pretty tight... Had to go with Western Mountaineering.