PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's truck ever got broken into?

randy
08-05-2006, 07:59 PM
One can come across all types of people in the bush these days. Hunters typically leave their vehicle for extended amounts of time in pursuit of their prey, sometimes leaving valuble equipment in the cab. I was just wondering if anybody has ever had their car/truck broken into while hunting. Do you guys ever worry about it, or do you believe in the good nature of man-kind:wink:

bsa30-06
08-05-2006, 08:08 PM
never had anybody beak into my truck, but last year i had a car pull up and 3 guys give it a good hard look.Little did they now i could see them but they couldn't see me.I do everything possible to keep any gear out of site and or locked up,and the alarm is always on if i'm not in it.

scuba
08-05-2006, 09:03 PM
never while hunting but have had a couple of buddies trucks broken into while snowmobiling and fishing.

CNE
08-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Only an idiot would break into a truck when they know there is a guy not too far away with a rifle in his hands. Mind you, guys that break into vehicles tend to be idiots anyways so scratch that last comment.

Jelvis
08-05-2006, 09:29 PM
I don't leave anything in the truck except my gun case and when I'm hunting in the bush I use the club on the steering wheel. I also have an older 85 4/4. which isn't worth a whole lot.

Fred
08-05-2006, 10:47 PM
I had my old Dodge broken into while I was prospecting and then here at the house the other night. Some twonk stole my pinch bar (for the cargo strap winches) and my raincoats. Didn't touch the handtools though, go figure. I live far enough out of the way that if I catch someone there is going to be someone getting hurt!;) Fred

boonerbuck
08-05-2006, 11:27 PM
I have while swimming at a walk in lake and in the city a couple times.

Never out hunting and sometimes my truck is parked for days with me away in a far away camp.

Barracuda
08-05-2006, 11:44 PM
It happens alot more then people think. I keep as little as i can in the vehicle if i am away from it but in reality if someone wanted to make a pretty good score a someone on a hunting or fishing outing would be a pretty good score for a thief.

Radar
08-06-2006, 12:18 AM
I use a club installed the correct way (most people don't do that), a immobiliser and an alarm with an immobiliser, I have also recently purchased wheel clamps that attach to one of the wheels. I also don't leave anyting that could be percieved as valuable in the vehicle if someone were to look inside it. I just hope to make my vehicle a harder target than some other vehicle out there.

lip_ripper00
08-06-2006, 02:08 AM
my Tracker never locked if I was hunting or fishing,I would leave a couple of 45-70 rounds on the seat:twisted:

08-06-2006, 07:05 AM
l own an 89 ford, so therefore l don't have that problem:lol: :lol:

My tracker....Steelco was nice enough to build a compartment in the back before l got it, so it hides everything rather nicely. Most thefts are ones of opportunity so if nothing valuable is out in the open, "most" wannabe thieves will pass it up, although there are always exceptions.

bsa30-06
08-06-2006, 09:41 AM
I agree with 416 leave all valuables out of sight, they are less likely to break into your truck if your GPS is not laying on the front seat, but that being said there is always that idiot out there that will smash a window just for kicks.

BCLongshot
08-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Leave a sign with " I'm within' sight and I have a rifle. Oh and I'm a hell of a good shot!"

randy
08-06-2006, 12:27 PM
^^Nice. It would be great to see the look on his face after a warning shot in the dirt at his feet:eek: .

Bow Walker
08-06-2006, 06:02 PM
A buddy an I were up behind Mt. Benson a few years back - well, OK a lotta years back, when there was still game in there.

I had parked my pickup as per usual and we were away from it for about 3 - 4 hours.

Yup, you guessed it, when we got back around lunchtime my little no-draft" window on the passenger side had been jimmied.:mad:

I looked all through the truck but the only thing missing was the ashtray, of all things. I don't smoke so the ashtray was in pristine condition. Maybe that is what attracted them/him/her/it?

I did have a cassette player mounted in the dash, with speakers mounted in the doors and behind the seat but it was all still there and was untouched as far as I could see.

Amazing what attracts attention and what is left behind:?

Barracuda
08-07-2006, 12:19 PM
someone tried to steal my truck overnight last night :( we got to the truck about 7 am this morning and they smashed the vent window to get in , destroyed the steering coloum, didnt get the club off the wheel and couldnt get it started, thank god (i disabled it before i left it) . The damage left by the attempted theft is bad enough but they also took my jerry can (With gas of course) full cans of soda i had left and other personal items. :evil:

Radar
08-07-2006, 07:43 PM
A little off topic, but I have heard a few (two or three) people recently tell me that they had fuel syphoned from their vehicles overnight, I am guessing it is due to the high fuel costs. You could syphone a lot of fuel in a night with a p/u truck a small pump and a long hose, you could also drive away dragging the hose if someone came. Something else to protect against. I guess I need a locking fuel cap now attached to my alarm system!

chevy
08-08-2006, 05:39 PM
all you have to do is leave a message on your window saying i can see you and if you think about breaking in i also have a rifle with me , then you should have no problems,haha but then again there is alot of idiots out there that are alcohol fueled and will do anything....

30-06
08-16-2006, 11:45 AM
once we had are truck stole in brode daylight in stanley park.