PDA

View Full Version : 7-51: Permit to Accompany

jml11
05-03-2011, 11:15 AM
I have a couple friends looking to bring in another mutual friend from Alberta to hunt Elk in 7-51 Sept 1-10. Does anyone know if they will get this approved alright? I'm not participating in the hunt but am just looking to provide them with advice as I don't know if the Ministry would have any concerns with it. They may also apply for other species but I have told them Sheep is definite no go for the Albertian.

Any info is appreciated!

Wild Images
05-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Shouldn't be a problem, have taken a buddy into 7-52 for goats with no issues
Elk are not in trouble at all so they should easily get approved

HD95
05-03-2011, 11:24 AM
They won't have any problem with that.The ministry does not hand out accompany permits till sometime in June,after they've had a chance to study last years harvest stats.They should however download the forms from the ministries web-site and get there application in with the $55.00 fee.Hope that helps.

jml11
05-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Yeah I figured it would be ok, just wasn't sure if there was anything specific about 7-51 or not being that it is only a ten day season.

BCrams
05-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Won't be a problem. Just have them add 7-52 if they're hunting somewhere like Kechika so it covers off both sides of the river or a change of plans occurs.

They should throw in for goat too given its a GOS. That way if the BC fellows decide they want to hunt sheep - the Albertan can have a chance at goat as they wouldn't be able to leave him down low to hunt elk while they hunt sheep due to requirements that the permit holder is with him at all times within sight and communicate without aid of device or unamplified. If permit holder spots a ram to go after, the Albertan is going to have to go with him as he can't hunt elk without him at his side.

Something to ponder for their planning purposes on who's going to hold permit etc. There's a common misconception with permit to accompany holders that they can go hunting elsewhere (e.g., up on mountain for sheep) while their buddy hunts down low (e.g., elk) for the hunt.

GoatGuy
05-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Your only struggle will be time - get it in asap. More lead time the better. Now of a few people who never got their permits in time in the past despite sending them off months in advance.