PDA

View Full Version : pinecone burke?

billjiggy
08-05-2006, 02:53 PM
i was just wondering what the hunting in pinecone burk park is like

GOOD??

a friend of mine told me he took a nice elk with a score of 14 in the mountain there

anyone else have a simular experiance hunting in pinecone burk?

BCLongshot
08-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Where is it???

Fireball129
08-05-2006, 08:08 PM
I used to go with my Dad up there years back,saw lots of deer,but not any elk.I can't see the hunting being very good as they have started clear cutting up there for the 35,000 homes and condos to be built in the next few years.I really want to know whats going to happen with the shooting range thats there.:shock:

billjiggy
08-05-2006, 08:18 PM
I used to go with my Dad up there years back,saw lots of deer,but not any elk.I can't see the hunting being very good as they have started clear cutting up there for the 35,000 homes and condos to be built in the next few years.I really want to know whats going to happen with the shooting range thats there.:shock:

WHAT??

i thought pinecone burk was suposed to be a provincial park and thus off limits to logging and develupment

i dont understand how they can claim its a protecetd area and then at teh sam etime be cutting it all done to build condos??

Fred
08-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Pinecone/Burke is in 2-8 and there was no season last year for Elk. If he did take one last year it was not legal. Or was that on a limited entry, I don't have that book from last year. Fred

ty_davis34
09-29-2009, 01:13 PM
WHAT??

i thought pinecone burk was suposed to be a provincial park and thus off limits to logging and develupment

i dont understand how they can claim its a protecetd area and then at teh sam etime be cutting it all done to build condos??

I've been scouting this prov park (you're correct on that part) for about a week now - trying to get back in the game. all the development is on the S-S/E boundary of the park... not in it. However it could very well be enough to disturb any wildlife living south of Munro Lake.

...I think I might head up there today actually... Thanks for this inspiring post :razz:

MichelD
09-29-2009, 01:54 PM
There was no open season or LEH for elk in 2-08 last year or any other year since about 1900.

09-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Would really like to hear more about this elk.

kastles
09-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Someone has to pull his foot out of his mouth so he can kick himself in the @$$. :) Is there access up to pinecone burke w/out going up widgeon creek from across pitt lake?

09-29-2009, 05:38 PM
The park can be accessed from many places from land, but you should check the bylaws about hunting and firearms discharge in the city of coquitlam as city boundrys are within the park.

kako99
09-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Are you allowed to bow hunt if your 100 meters away from any house, school,church ect? Or is it a bylaw? I called conservation on this and the guy I talked to couldnt even give me a answer so like how am I supposed to know if they don't. I have been driving around that area lots trying to find a good spot but never brought my bow with me cause im not sure if it's legal. I have seen lots of does no bucks yet if any one could help me out or want to go for a hunt let me know im always down.
Thanks

Bpower
09-29-2009, 06:47 PM
The no shooting zone reaches pretty far into the park. Look on google earth and the map for the Fraser Valley open shooting areas. You will see the open shooting area doesn't begin until North of Dennet Lake. It looks like there are hiking and biking trails that will get you reasonably close anyways. There might be a mountain bike trail that goes right up to Dennet Lake but I have heard some of the bike trails can be pretty technical up there.

The trails leading up the side of the mountain from Quarry Road are pretty steep, I would try accessing the open shooting area from the gun club on the other side of the mountain.

Be VERY CERTAIN about where the open shooting area begins, just because it says the park is open to hunting in the synopsis doesn't mean the whole park is.

Legi0n
09-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Firearms hunting in Pinecone-Burke park only north of Dennett lake.
Bow ok south of said lake unless bylaws changed since last year.

link to the bylaw: http://e-civic.coquitlam.ca/cybercedms/getdoc.asp?doc=91355

just a thought, what happens (legal point of view) if someone can't tell what's what on that map?

Ddog
09-29-2009, 07:54 PM
more about the elk that scored 14?? WTF does that mean?
either your friend was BS'n you or he poached an elk, i know elk were transplanted up the end of pit lake and entirely possible that a few made the move to pinecone burke.

gamer
09-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Rosevelt(spelling?) elk have been introduced north of pitt lake NO harvest allowed. Sign is posted at pitt lake boat launch. Pinecone Burke is open to hunting but closed to vehicle access. Lower mainland special permit area does stretch into park quite a ways. Have seen many bear and deer in there as we camp on widgeon creek yearly since we were teens.

kako99
09-29-2009, 09:02 PM
So that means your allowed to fire a bow up in westwood plateu as long as your 100 metters away from any house? I have been trying to find this out for a while now and I cant seem to get a straight answer.

M@B
12-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I know this is an old thread but, I was up in pinecone burke not too long ago. and saw elk sign. not a lot of it but, there are Elk up there.
Can't hunt'em though.

grousehunter
10-22-2013, 01:31 AM
anybody recently hunted in Pinecone Burke? I'm thinking of giving it a go with my crossbow (which should be legal?).

ghost
10-22-2013, 06:34 AM
I lived there up until last year. Sorry to ruin your day but you cant hunt in that park until your are north of dennett lake. The hike to Dennett lake would be close to 1.5 to 2 hrs if you didnt know the route.The city of Coquitlam boundry takes up a large portion of the southern end of the park . Most of the animals are close to resdential areas.Some real big blacktail in that areas.

grousehunter
10-22-2013, 07:57 PM
I lived there up until last year. Sorry to ruin your day but you cant hunt in that park until your are north of dennett lake. The hike to Dennett lake would be close to 1.5 to 2 hrs if you didnt know the route.The city of Coquitlam boundry takes up a large portion of the southern end of the park . Most of the animals are close to resdential areas.Some real big blacktail in that areas.

I was looking really hard on google maps and in my Backroads Map and it says that Quarry Road goes all the way up to the top left of Siwash Land or the very bottom of Pitt Lake. Can you not enter Pinecone Burke Park from going up Quarry Road, which does pass Dennett Lake. I am sort of keen on getting a Blacktail in there haha.

Legi0n
10-22-2013, 08:56 PM
I was looking really hard on google maps and in my Backroads Map and it says that Quarry Road goes all the way up to the top left of Siwash Land or the very bottom of Pitt Lake. Can you not enter Pinecone Burke Park from going up Quarry Road, which does pass Dennett Lake. I am sort of keen on getting a Blacktail in there haha.

go to http://publicdocs.coquitlam.ca/cyberdocs/bylawsearch.asp
search for firearms
open bylaw 4266/2012
schedule A has the map of the city boundaries
(long story short you're out of luck)

ghost
10-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Quarry road is gated a long ways before widgeon slough ,the whole length of quarry road runs along the park.If you want to get up to Dennett lake you can park at the munroe lake trial and go up from there, It will make the grouse grind look easy. You can find info on that trial if you google munroe lake.It is to bad that the city of Coquitlam banned hunting within the city limits, because it is a very remote area that could very easily support hunting in certan areas.I used to have a few tree stands in the area, never killed anything but had opportunitys just not the big bucks I was after, there are some very nice bucks in that area.

two's
10-22-2013, 09:17 PM
The road up quarry ends at the rock quarry. There is a gate locked and controlled by Old man Edwards. He is not welcoming to people who cross the gate and trespass on his property. The hike up to Munroe Lake does take 1.5-2 Hours. Don't know much about the deer but have seen some nice bears and the lake fishing is decent. If you approach from harper(gun club) The road has been re-done for the power line twinning project. Haven't hiked to the lakes from this side.....Goodluck

adriaticum
10-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Who is to say that this elk didn't come from the Harrison herd and was poached by the Op's friend.

mungojeerie
10-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Old Man Edwards? lol... maybe thats who messed up my buddys truck.... He parked at that gate a few years back and him and a buddy biked further in with the hopes of gaining access to land that they could come back and hunt.... ended up getting chased out of there by a couple of nasty dudes who looked like thugs.... and when they got back to the truck it was all beat up and the windshield wipers were practically bent into knots etc....

I once in desperation many years ago took a city bus from vancouver with a backpack containing a variety of items including a broken down shotgun.... bussed a horrific route to get as close as possible to the gun range entry, then planned on hiking up to a legal shooting area... needless to say before I had even reached legal area I was already tired of just the thought of what I would have to do if I were to bag something... not to mention it was pouring rain the entire time..... havent even thought about pinecone burke since that day haha.

grousehunter
10-23-2013, 04:46 PM
go to http://publicdocs.coquitlam.ca/cyberdocs/bylawsearch.asp
search for firearms
open bylaw 4266/2012
schedule A has the map of the city boundaries
(long story short you're out of luck)

Alright, I agree on this info. So I looked up another route mentioned by Ghost that you can go on a trail to Dennet Lake from a section on Quarry Road which is a 5km hike in. Would it be unreasonable or impossible to shoot a deer in there and then use a drag bag to pull it all the way back to the vehicle. Is 5km too far to drag a deer down a trail? Or what if I butchered it there then packed it in a hiking backpack, then that may be more doable....Im not giving up yet Legion!

Stukonarock
10-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Fraser valley special area map.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/docs/FVSAH2012.pdf

shows the line pretty clearly. No no u can't shoot the elk in there.
Stuk

grousehunter
10-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Fraser valley special area map.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/docs/FVSAH2012.pdf

shows the line pretty clearly. No no u can't shoot the elk in there.
Stuk

This map is great, thanks Stuk!

westnuck
10-25-2013, 09:37 AM
I have also thought about hunting there, as I have done some hiking in that park. You can access the trail head to Dennett & Munro Lakes off Quarry road, but as mentioned earlier in this post it is straight up the entire way for about 1.5 hours (about 850 Meter elevation gain). No chance of dragging a deer out whole, you would have to debone and pack it out. What about taking a canoe across the Pitt river and up Widgeon slough? You can go from the Pitt Lake boat launch, and start your hunt from there.

Mike

grousehunter
10-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Hey westnuck, yeah I thought about it more and deboning and packing the deer out would be the way to do it. As I dont have a canoe I am going to hike it, I searched on google maps and it says its 4.8km from the TH of Dennett and Munro lake off of Quary Road with an est. time of just over 1 Hr. I would say I'm in good shape and you say it takes about 1.5Hrs (Is it a tough hike?). I plan to go in there to check it out the end of next week, I'll let you know how it is!

I have also thought about hunting there, as I have done some hiking in that park. You can access the trail head to Dennett & Munro Lakes off Quarry road, but as mentioned earlier in this post it is straight up the entire way for about 1.5 hours (about 850 Meter elevation gain). No chance of dragging a deer out whole, you would have to debone and pack it out. What about taking a canoe across the Pitt river and up Widgeon slough? You can go from the Pitt Lake boat launch, and start your hunt from there.

Mike

westnuck
10-28-2013, 02:14 PM
grousehunter,

Good luck, I'd like to hear how it goes. Not really a tough hike if your in ok shape, just straight up for 1.5hrs, lots of switchbacks, so nothing too gnarly. there is a nice viewpoint about 3/4 the way up too.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.png

caddisguy
10-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Hey westnuck, yeah I thought about it more and deboning and packing the deer out would be the way to do it. As I dont have a canoe I am going to hike it, I searched on google maps and it says its 4.8km from the TH of Dennett and Munro lake off of Quary Road with an est. time of just over 1 Hr. I would say I'm in good shape and you say it takes about 1.5Hrs (Is it a tough hike?). I plan to go in there to check it out the end of next week, I'll let you know how it is!

I'm interested to hear how it goes. Maybe there are generations of blacktails that have yet to become participants in hunting efforts, so oblivious they will run right up to you in curiosity, wondering if you have apples to share. Had a bear walk across the range at the PCDHFC. No fear of people or guns, that's for sure.

Also sounds like that if you bag one, it will be all down hill from there, quite literally. Good luck to you and your bow.

Legi0n
10-28-2013, 06:38 PM
North of Dennet Lake you can also shoot guns.

pmj
10-28-2013, 08:21 PM
In case someone missed it: Discharge of bows and firearms is prohibited within the City of Coquitlam. This prohibition includes the portions of Pinecone Burke Provincial Park that lie with in the City limits. Discharge of shotguns with shot is permitted as shown on the map attached to Bylaw 4266/2012. (This only permits hunting on the shore of Pitt River for migratory game birds). Also 2 shooting ranges are exempt from the Bylaw.

I did research on the hunting in the area as part of my presentation to Coquitlam Council on their Bylaw.
I am not aware of any bow hunters accessing the area from the Widgeon Creek side. Rifle hunters can not legally access from that side. Possession of a firearm in a Regional Park (Widgeon Marsh Regional Park) is prohibited.
No harvest statistics were available only anecdotal evidence I gathered. Numerous bow hunters harvested deer and bear on Burke and Eagle Mountain with in the City limits prior to the prohibition. The power lines were popular with bear hunters. The only indication of bow hunters in the fall were the vehicles parked at access points with subtle prohunting stickers on their vehicles.
(Blueberry) farmers in the area have chosen to use bow hunters to reduce the numbers of deer and bear damaging their crops. They are permitted to protect their crops from predation under the Federal Farm Act. Federal law makes the farmers excempt from the City Bylaw. They may also choose to use firearms or other means to control crop depredation. The farmers in the area do not need assistance in this matter so don't bother asking them.

You must travel beyond the City boundaries if you are going to hunt for bear or deer with a bow or firearm. Hunting beyond Dennett lake, the Cities northern boundary can be problematic. The challenge of chasing blacktailed deer combined with tough terrain and long hike in and out may make this not your first choice.

Check under my user name for numerous posts started on the City of Coquitlam Discharge Bylaw 4266, January to June of 2012 when I was looking for support in opposing the Bylaw.

grousehunter
10-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Hey Westnuck, the weather forecast looked great last week for this friday, now it says rain is coming! Thanks for the viewpoint tip, if I go on Friday I'll post for sure.

Andrew

grousehunter
11-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Here's the update:

I ended up hiking up to Munro Lake yesterday, Nov. 1 during the afternoon with a friend in the drizzly rain. I would say it was a pretty intense/insane hike for us, with breaks and lunch it took us 2.5 hours to only get to Munro Lake. There were fallen trees all over the trail and the trail was not maintained at all, and at times hard to spot. As for the animals, we didn't see anything, not even a single deer to my surprise. On the plus side, I didn't realize how beautiful Munro Lake is and am planning to do either a camping trip or future hunting trip early next September (that will be past Dennett Lake, so its legal and all). But we didn't see a single person up there. If you do hike up there, pay attention to where you're going, as we exited Munro Lake we did literally get lost for 10 mins and had to back track and get on the right trail, the hike down was 1.75 hrs and pretty exhausting.

I can now see why no one hunts up there haha, you have to be in amazing shape to get up there, but I really enjoyed the hike and on a nice day, with no rain and warm weather I bet it would be amazing.

Oh, and we started at the Trail Hear to Dennett/Munro Lake. One hell of a hike!!

snow
02-02-2014, 08:29 PM
went up to Dennett lake today, pretty good workout with 15% avg grade, 12km round trip. I have not seen any deer tracks anywhere, even in the mud at lower elevations close to water, but met some people who said they saw a wild turkey. next time i go there i will leave a trail cam beyond the boundaries at Dennett.

Buck
02-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Wow which way did you go ?i was at the old ski lodge on Saturday.4 or 5 inches of snow up there.

snow
02-02-2014, 09:47 PM
from Minnekhada to Munro, then east to Dennett. The steep sections just below Munro were a little challenging on snowshoes, esp. going down, but not too bad. Did you go hiking, just checking it out?

Buck
02-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Yea i was hiking up there nice view of the Valley.I usually do the Minnekhada route when it is dry with my heavy pack .Gets you in shape.How long to Dennet from Monroe ?
You must be in good shape for a quick day trip up there.

snow
02-02-2014, 10:58 PM
it's only another 1km to Dennett from Monroe, with minimal elevation gain, so probably 20 minutes in snow. Have you seen any tracks on Sat?

BowRunner
10-12-2015, 04:04 PM
Has anyone tried hiking in to Widgeon Lake or up the Fools Gold Trail...and finding game in that area?

rollingrock
10-12-2015, 04:34 PM
I used to hike up from Quarry Road trail to Munroe and further. That's a serious hike with immediate gain of elevation. No joke about it. Even hiking from the shooting range side isn't that pleasant. I don't know if I want to carry a dead deer down from there.

BowRunner
10-12-2015, 08:36 PM
I just read that there is a Management Planning effort (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/planning/mgmtplns/pinecone-burke/pinecone-burke-mp.html) that could restrict further hunting in the area. One of the opinions already presented (http://mountainclubs.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2014-11-28-LT-GOV-re-Pinecone-Burke-Park-Planning-FINAL.pdf) seems to ask for a ban on hunting. Personally, I would agree with non-motorized access and a bow-only area but that is because I am partial to that style.