PDA

View Full Version : I need some good info on walltent repair!!!

meat eater
05-02-2011, 08:17 PM
I just gotta used old wall tent that is going to need some TLC!!! but the price was right ! I was just wondering if speed sew would work for patching up some small holes in it?then i have to do some work around the stove pipe hole and i'm not sure where to look for this type of material? and i was also wondering if anyone know's of anyone near the kamloop's area that work's on these tent's? thank's for lookin an any info is greatly appreciated!!

Woodrow
05-02-2011, 09:43 PM
we cut up carhart pants and speed sew them on the holes and it seems to be working. the chimney hole gets warm so im not sure if the speed sew would work there.

meat eater
05-02-2011, 10:12 PM
well that's one problem solved!!!!lol thank's i might just have to learn how to sew using a good ole leather needle!!

willy442
05-02-2011, 10:32 PM
well that's one problem solved!!!!lol thank's i might just have to learn how to sew using a good ole leather needle!!

Actually in our camp we used a glue called Latex, looked like speed sew. You can get it in a small can at most hardware stores in the adhesive section. Not sure but I'll bet if you contact the tent sponsor on the site. He will have some of the stove pipe material. They also make a metal stach holder that fits in a small hole at the seam. Back Country in Fort St John has them.

When you cut your patches if they are round instead of square they will stay on better, whenyou fold up the tent or set it up. Also round patches seem less prone to leaking. You should probably treat the canvas with water proofing too as old tents usually leak.

meat eater
05-02-2011, 10:58 PM
yes i do plan on water proofing. i will check whole sale sport's here for the roof piece! thanks guy's!!

boxhitch
05-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Contact Cement is the product you are looking for, best glue for canvas.
The stove jack used to be asbestos? fiberglass? cloth back in the day, with a tin flange but times have changed.
The newest are silicone rubber.
Canvas waterproofing is available at Canadian Tire
Some guys swear by Thompson's Water Seal

deepwater
05-03-2011, 07:26 AM
surplus herbies - canadian tire - carry good canvass presaervatives - by the gallon, you did not say size of tent...herbies has carried proper pipe set ups made just for that... with tent set up a hand awl can allow ,you to do an excelllent replacement that wont burn.. i have that t shirt some of that hard learned experieence......cant type either

stoneguide
05-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Spead sew works well for small patches.

And a good fix around the stove pipe hole is to get to of the XXL pizza plates they use for cooking pizza, cut the center out to fit your stove pipe then put one on the inside of the tent and one on the outside so they fit together, drill 6 or so holes evenly spaced around the edge and the size of a pop rivet then rivet the two together. We have fixed a couple like this over the years and it works well. And the plates sit flat when the tent is folded up. One we used a contact cement to seal between the plates and one we never. Didnt see any difference between the two.

Hope this may help.
SG

Foxton Gundogs
05-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Contact UniTarp in Port Kells I got some glue from them that is used to repair lumber tarps works great. I would imagine any other company that makes and repairs tarps for commercial transport would have the same stuff or something comparible

Dannybuoy
05-03-2011, 09:05 AM
We fixed a few holes in canvas tents when my girls were in guides ... we used 2 patches for each hole ... one inside , one outside , coat with contact cement and press together to sandwich the hole or tear .

meat eater
05-05-2011, 02:57 PM
do u mean deck sealer??

dawn2dusk
05-05-2011, 03:03 PM
thanks for the post SG! I like this idea - have just been waiting for a good solution.

bcsteve
05-06-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm not sure where you are but Alpha Tents and Awning in Burnaby did a nice job on some repair and mods on my tent.