PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on bow recomendations?

Kalum
05-02-2011, 02:04 PM
I've been shooting the bowtech admiral for a couple of years and it's given me nothing but grief:evil:
had a cam break on me last year and after I had those replaced i was sighting everything back in and had a full on limb explosion. Parts went flying everywhere and I was left holding the main beam with a stunned expresion on my face. No new scars but scared the crap outa me.
They replaced the limbs and cams, turns out there was a recal on that model and needed to re-enforce the limb ends.
So I was thinking all's cool and have been shooting all year with it and no issues. Today I was at the range and when I pulled back at full draw heard a "click". let the draw off and inspected the bow and sure enough the cam split again. wtf...

So I'm thinking it's time for a change up, can't trust the equipment can't trust the shot... any recomendations?

Bowzone_Mikey
05-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Elite ... Best bows I have ever shot .... smoothest draw, not the fastest however , most consistant, most comforable and best balanced for me

Bow Walker
05-02-2011, 03:58 PM
APA
Elite
Hoyt

You can't go wrong with any of those.

Are you a hunter/3D'er or strictly target?

BlackwaterHunter
05-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Apa, or hoyt from my eperience both a great. but hoyt has a great warrenty

Bowzone_Mikey
05-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Elites warrantee is better as its transferable ....

Caribou_lou
05-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Hmmmm. I shoot a Bowtech General and have had nothing but success!

The Hermit
05-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Limbsaver!! :-) See a local review at..http://www.darkhorsearchery.ca/review.html

Kalum
05-02-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm a 3d guy right now and a wannabe bowhunter come the fall... managed to get a loaner bow for this weekends shoot up at Rosswood, just need to get it dialed in.
I was drooling over some hoyt's today, sure a comfertable grip and draw. Haven't seen the 'elite' but will dig some info up on line

Bowzone_Mikey
05-02-2011, 05:04 PM
I have an Elite Pure that I can use as double duty.... Tacky is waiting till tomarrow to pick up his "Hunter" at the post office .... when we dial that in it will make my decision between a Pulse and Hunter for my Dedicated hunting bow (to replace my Diamond Black Ice)

Kalum
05-02-2011, 05:16 PM
hmm, tech's look good on that one mikey. I don't think anyone around here carries it though. Who are you dealing with?

satalite bull
05-02-2011, 07:24 PM
shoot a hoyt and forget the rest got the carbon element this year and never shot a nicer bow

mikeboehm
05-02-2011, 07:54 PM
i started shooting just over a year ago. i would recommend PSE. i shoot the Omen Pro. i love it but its not that forgiving or smooth but its fast. i would recommend the EVO dreamseason, its very smooth and fast.

05-02-2011, 09:44 PM
APA, PSE, Hoyt, Mattews, etc, etc. They're all good.

Mountain Man
05-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Just a opinion,

The bows I see that have the most problems are Bowtech, then Hoyt. We have been selling both brands. Its one thing to have some issues but its another to receive good service. I have found that Bowtech and Hoyt have given poor service in Canada. May be a different story state side. Poor turn around for parts, and stocking very little of what ive needed. I always get the same answer witch is yes to the warranty but 4 to 6 weeks for parts. In 2011 I did not do a booking order for either of these companies. They have been by far the most problematic and have poor customer service in Canada.

Not that this really means anything at the end of the day but just for shits and giggles. I had 13 dry fires in APRIL. The bows that suffered the most damage where PSE 1st, HOYT 2cnd, only one Bowtech last month and it was about a 200 dollar fix. Dry fire's happen I believe more than most people think and I have noticed some brands seem to take it and others seem to blow up.

In no particular order the following brands seem to work extremely well for us. Mathews, APA, PSE. I will say this in closing, One of the nicest all round shooting bows ive shot is the new G-5 Prime !!!! No shit, I have no problem given kudos to any brand. This bow was really sweet, lacking one thing for me as I am a speed freak at times and its a touch slow.

Pick a brand with a reputation concerning reliability, service, then specifications. I believe shooters should think with the logical side of the brain more often than the emotional side. If you live in Terrace and dont have a confidant bow tech close buy there are certain models and brands I would look at first. Some bows may kicks ass in certain departments but the draw back is they are usually more high maintenance like a smoken hot chick.

Slugman
05-03-2011, 05:35 AM
On the G5 Prime note have a smoooth drawing 09 Quest(G5) XPB up for sale - very similar cam design to Elite bows and the quality build G5 is famous for! Used one season, bought new in 2010.

Kalum
05-03-2011, 05:55 AM
"Some bows may kicks ass in certain departments but the draw back is they are usually more high maintenance like a smoken hot chick. "
ha, ain't that the truth! I'm down your way in June and will stop in the store to take a looksee. liking the tech's on APA and Elite but of course want to put them in my hand and compare the shots.

The Silent Stalker
05-03-2011, 07:49 AM
I bought my first bow earlier this year, I got a Bear Attack and I love it. I was shooting good groups within the first day, and have really enjoyed it. I'm going bear searching today and hope to find one that's been spotted. He's big and black with long hair. My buddy couldn't get a shot on the weekend. Im going in early and sitting in the thick. If he comes down the same trail again(sign shows he's using it everyday) I should have a 30 - 35yd shot. Will post pics and story if I'm successful. Check out the Bears, they seem to be very reasonably priced, but I'm a rookie so what do I know. It felt really good in my hands so I went with my gut. I do love it though. Good luck, let us know what you get.

evhunter
05-03-2011, 08:07 AM
I shoot Bowtech's Captain and Guardian (as a secondary bow). Absolutely fantastic bows! Have never had even the slightest of problems. My Bowtech dealer is State side, however, and service is second to none.

Bow Walker
05-03-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm a 3d guy right now and a wannabe bowhunter come the fall... managed to get a loaner bow for this weekends shoot up at Rosswood, just need to get it dialed in.
I was drooling over some hoyt's today, sure a comfertable grip and draw. Haven't seen the 'elite' but will dig some info up on line

"Some bows may kicks ass in certain departments but the draw back is they are usually more high maintenance like a smoken hot chick. "
ha, ain't that the truth! I'm down your way in June and will stop in the store to take a looksee. liking the tech's on APA and Elite but of course want to put them in my hand and compare the shots.

If you like the Hoyt's feel and are looking for killer warranty/service, here in Canada, I've heard and read very good things about the APA line of bows. Plus - Hardcore is a dealer. Couldn't get any better.

StoneChaser
05-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Too bad about the admiral, as my brother and I have 2010 Admiral FLX's and simply can't say enough good things about them!

My next one will likely be a Bowtech, but I'm going to give the Athens Ibex a try first.

seanfalloy
05-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Im shotting a PSE Dreamseason EVO. Love every shot i take. Havent had much experience with other bows so i cant say its better or not but i have no complaints about it. Im not sure what shops you have in terrace but here in smithers Larry at Green arrow archery caries APA and PSE and i did see an Elite In there the other day. As well as a few other brands.

Mountain Man
05-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Man I feel like a broken record but ill say it again,

Stop on the brand thing, why do people get so caught up in brands, this bow is the best, my truck has the most horse power, my atv is faster than yours, my penis is really small so I need to purchase a brand that makes me feel good !!! ???

Im speaking from the industry, someone who works on, and shoots bows every day, dont worry so much about brand......

Instead look for a dealer that can support you, maybe a brand that is known and has a reputation for customer service, a bow is not a gun !!! Its is a instrument, a tool that needs to be sized and fiitted to you, instead search for someone, or some place that can facilitate your personal needs.

If thats wholesale sports, bass pro shop, canadian tire, johnny hawks pawn shop, then do what you need to do. I know not everyone has a pro shop they can deal with either. I try my best to always give a none biast opinion. Who are we or who are you to say what brand s best ???? There all good, now yes there are some brands and models of bows to sty away from. One of the problems here is purely marketing. Screw the US !!!! We are in Canada, buy a bow that has a reputation in Canada, Lets face it it will more than likely be a american product but does that product have the reputation where we live ????? Not always !!! Some off the best brands do not have the support in Canada, Very few of us buy from the manufacturer, we buy from ma and pa distributor . Witch means you and I are at the mercy of that particular distributor !

Service is everything now a days ! We all have busy life styles and from what I have ever seen is that fixing a persons issue, problem, or broken part in this case goes a long wayz. Find a dealer and not a bow !!! Find someone that you can build a repor with, ask questions to, find parts, ect.

I sell aprox 250 compound bows each year and I try my best to never jam a brand down someones throat ! But I will finish this long winded statement with the priority of brands that I feel have a great reputation in Canada.

Mathews
APA
PSE
I dont care what people think of the order or the particular brands, any of these thre brands will win 3d's and kill any big game animal ! These brands provide the best customer service in Canada and if that means anything to you than look at any of the three.

Bow Walker
05-20-2011, 08:38 AM
I think when people are going on about 'brands', what they're really talking about is the fit or feel of the bow. Different brands = different feel/fit in the hand.

I agree that finding someone who knows how to properly adjust the bow to each person's unique style is key to shooting enjoyment. If you're lucky enough to live near a pro shop then that isn't (or shouldn't be) a problem. But if your bow needs warranty work that can't get done here in Canada and has to be sent back to the factory - well, you've got quite a long wait for the turn around.

Bows are personal things. One man's jewel is another man's junk. It's all about the style, the look, and the feel of any particular bow in any person's hands. Personally, I own two U.S. made bows, both higher profile companies, but the next one is going to be a "made-in-Canada" product. Because I want to support Canadian manufacturing and because the quality is every bit as good as anything made in the States, and because the service is far better and quicker than any other manufacturer.

Just my 2 cents worth.

BC4Bowhunter
05-20-2011, 11:31 PM
IMHO if you want to find a bow that fits you and feel good to you and is the bow you want go shoot as many different brands and models you can. This may not be feasable but it depends on how serious you are to find the right bow for you. Getting a recommendation over the internet may not be the best place to start. I would ask where is a good archery shop to go to? What kind of knowledge does the staff have about archery and the products the sell? What kind of inventory do they carry?(new,used,old stock etc.) Are they brand bias and why? (problems,warranty, popularity, etc.) What do they do if a warranty issue or problem occurs?(customer service) These are some of the questions to ask. Manufacturer customer service,look at warranties and what is covered. Most bow companys have a limited lifetime warranty to the orginal owner with the exception of Elite archery which is transferable. So if or when a problem with your new bow occurs they will fix it if the issue fall under the manufacturers stated warranty. How long it takes to get fixed varies here in Canada. This is where a good dealer can assist you. Don't get caught up in the brand wagon most bow manufacturers make a good bow today. So which bow should you get, go find a dealer, shoot some bows and find out:wink: Good Luck.

THE BEAST
06-03-2011, 11:13 AM
elites all the way but hoyt is good to.