PDA

View Full Version : 7-16 A info

levind
05-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Just looking to see if there is good access and if their are newer cut blocks in the area. thinking about doing my moose draw in there this year. Any info would be great in the thread or through pm. thanks

emerson
05-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Lots of access; it's so easy to get to there are lots of locals on day trips and dozens of out of towners. Most of it has been logged a while; the newer blocks will be over run with hunters. If you are travelling all the way from the LML, try to get into an area that is too out of the way for day trippers and casual quadders. Living up here, I am constantly amazed at the number of out of towner hunting camps within 20 min to 1/2 hour of my front door. If you're travelling this far already, get into an area where I can't drive to in less than 2 hours. Set up camp at the very back of road access (100+km) and quad, hike, or especially boat, farther back than that. I can't emphasize enough the ability of the small boat hunter to access areas otherwise untouched. Sell the quad and buy a small aluminum boat to hunt almost virgin country. If it has truck or quad access, the area will be a highway in hunting season.

jml11
05-02-2011, 12:39 PM
THe southern part of 7-16A around Tacheeda Lakes is quite busy but the northern section (Mcleod Lake) isn't too bad. A good hour drive to the northern section from PG. Most day trippers from town hunt 7-16C as it is can be accessed within 30 minutes of town.

There is not a lot of access in the northern section and limited logging. There was logging last summer and this winter on the Hodda FSR (just south of Mcleod Lake), but close to the highway so this might actually be 7-16C still (becomes A at 6km I believe?). There a are blocks close to the Parsnip that are 5-10 years old now but still somewhat huntable. A woodlot is present along Parsnip which has also done some recent logging.

Around Tacheeda Lakes, there is a lot of new logging but few roads, so that makes for a busy hunt. Generally the early and late seasons are pretty quite. October is the zoo time! There are a ton of moose in the zone though, but the thick bush makes them hard to come by (or see).

The boat idea is certainly a good one. There are a few lakes that don't see too many people that would be good to set up on with a boat, hope for a moose to walk out or call 'em out. The Parsnip River is boatable as well, have known people to do well drfting in a small boat or using a jet boat to access areas that road hunters can't.

If you have any specific questions fire me a PM. I know the northern half of 7-16A very well!

levind
05-02-2011, 01:47 PM
We do have a 12' aluminum and i was thinking about floating the parsnip to get to some of the big swamps and calling so it is an idea or hitting some of the lakes but there are so many lakes to chose from in that area.

moosinaround
05-02-2011, 05:00 PM
We do have a 12' aluminum and i was thinking about floating the parsnip to get to some of the big swamps and calling so it is an idea or hitting some of the lakes but there are so many lakes to chose from in that area.
Which is why there are so many moose!!!

levind
05-02-2011, 09:45 PM
how big and how fast is the parsnip river? could you float it with a 12' aluminum deep V hall?

McSledder
05-02-2011, 09:52 PM
should be enough water some spots keep a good watch might not be to bad though this year lots of snow.
on you way up talk to Terry at Whiskers Bay resort usually knows everything that is going on in the general area (depending were you turn off the highway)

levind
05-04-2011, 05:20 PM
thanks for the help