PDA

View Full Version : Vanderhoof Waterfowlers???

field marshal
05-01-2011, 08:32 AM
I don't usually watch Canada In The Rough!
This morning a friend called and said I should watch.It was waterfowl shooting from Vanderhoof area.I didn't know there were waterfowl guide outfits in B.C.?? I hope you local guys haven't been shut out of your shooting by these outfits? I also hope they are not owned by foreigners.:evil: I hope some of you local guys can shed some light on this subject? Can you still obtain reasonable access? It looks like a good place to hunt! Maybe Tod Bartell could chime in on this one?-----Cheers---Field Marshal.

heyblast
05-01-2011, 09:23 AM
I watched that show as well but it was a couple of months ago. I didn't understand the bag limits :confused:, hunted three days shot two limits and a near limit of geese. Does the outfitter have a higher possesion limit than the rest of us as there dosn't seem to be anything in the regs. other than 5 daily, 10 total possesion.

Crazy_Farmer
05-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Heyblast, depends how fast you can eat those 5 geese you shot on the first day. Lunch and dinner both days.

Tony, not from there but I have talked with the old owner of the outfitter, he sold to an american prostaffer who I believed lives up there now. The previous owner is a member here but doesnt post too often but he may see this thread.

Like anything in life I've heard good and bad about them. I think alot of local have been pushed off because the outfitter has alot of prime land now tied up. Guys who used to shoot alot of geese dont anymore up there. I also know a few guys who have used the outfitters for a few years under both old and new owners. I've heard good reports and some not so good, hunting the spot out being one thing. But hey sometimes theres nothing you can do. You cant control the birds and you can only give your clients the best possible chance at harvesting something.

One things for sure, alot of the migrating geese are hitting those fields first after leaving alaska. And they are hungry.

d6dan
05-01-2011, 10:29 AM
I watched the show and thought it was good. I have a Brother living there and he shoots his fair share of geese,but he says its tough to get access to good fields. At least it showed what Vanderhoof has to offer the waterfowl hunter.

field marshal
05-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Okay boys, that clears a few questions up!!
The reason I figured it might be foreignon owned was all the Jewelry the outfitter had around his neck??? You don't usually see Canadian boys with that many bands displayed?? It sucks if the local boys are having trouble with access?:confused:----Cheers---Field Marshal.

todbartell
05-01-2011, 10:46 AM
let's just say I used to hunt geese 3-4 mornings a week and now I go once every 2-3 years

heyblast
05-01-2011, 10:54 AM
5 geese by 4lb average dressed, consumed in one day by out of province hunters. Guess it would be okay to do the same with deer or elk or any other of our game.

Bucks&Ducks
05-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I heard from a friend that is it hard to get permission to access fields to hunt in that area because the outfitters pay all the farmers to privately lease the land.

That must be frustrating to be in a great spot but with little oppertunity

field marshal
05-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Just by how those guys were talking on the show this morning I was afraid access was being manipulated by the outfitter!! I know this behaviour has been going on in Alberta and Saskatewan for awhile.:evil: God, I hope this isn't starting to be the norm here. Fair is fair!!! I think any reasonable land owner should give some access to local boys, especially ones with affiliations to responsible
outdoor associations ie. B.C.W.F. members?? There are many ways to pay landowners back for access not just by cash!!!! Hope you fellas up there at least try a new approach. This really pisses me off!!:evil: Good luck trying??
Cheers---Field Marshal.