PDA

View Full Version : How do you find out what is crown land?

Postal
08-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Hey all,

I'm fairly new to Fort St John and I'm curious as to how to find out where the crown land that I'd be able to hunt on is in this area.

I've looked at some of the online maps but I can't seem to find any help on them as to who owns the land. Also the back roads maps in the stores arn't any help either.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks!

Jelvis
08-04-2006, 05:03 PM
If it ain't got fences and theres no buildings that you can see and no livestock, it's probably crown jewels.

rocksteady
08-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Regardless of how it looks, you never know who owns the land until you get a land status check with BC Lands or the Assessment Authority, and they won't tell you if you are not the owner to start with..

Your best bet is, the further you get from town, the less chance of it being private.

If you talk to a known land owner (rancher type) he can tell you exactly who owns the parcel next door....A little research and door knocking can save you a heap of trouble....

bwhnter
08-04-2006, 11:02 PM
I would be very careful about the no fence no building theory. I know alot of farmers that don't fence thier land and they have alot that doesn't have buildings on it but if you shoot somthing out there they will call the CO's.

I agree with Rocksteady. Start knocking on doors and do some home work. I have lived in Fort St. John all of my life and I still have a hard time knowing what is crown and what isn't. In fact last year I had a CO try to tell me that the land I was on was private and until I pulled out a map that stated otherwise he was going to write me up.

Bottom line is be careful and if you aren't 100% sure don't go there.

Good Luck

mrdoog
08-05-2006, 10:43 AM
I know that this info below doesn't directly answer your question re: what is Crown Land, but it does point out some good guidelines. As well stating that landowners have responsibilities to inform you as well:
Wildlife Act:
Agricultural and cleared land
39 (1) A person commits an offence if the person, without the consent of the owner, lessee or occupier of land,

(a) hunts over or traps in or on cultivated land, or

(b) hunts over Crown land that is subject to a grazing lease while the land is occupied by livestock.

(2) This section does not affect the Trespass Act.

Trespass Act:
Trespass prohibited

4 (1) Subject to section 4.1, a person commits an offence if the person does any of the following:

(a) enters premises that are enclosed land;

(b) enters premises after the person has had notice from an occupier of the premises or an authorized person that the entry is prohibited;

(c) engages in activity on or in premises after the person has had notice from an occupier of the premises or an authorized person that the activity is prohibited.

(2) A person found on or in premises that are enclosed land is presumed not to have the consent of an occupier or an authorized person to be there.

(3) Subject to section 4.1, a person who has been directed, either orally or in writing, by an occupier of premises or an authorized person to

(a) leave the premises, or

(b) stop engaging in an activity on or in the premises,

commits an offence if the person

(c) does not leave the premises or stop the activity, as applicable, as soon as practicable after receiving the direction, or

(d) re-enters the premises or resumes the activity on or in the premises.

Defences to trespass

4.1 A person may not be convicted of an offence under section 4 in relation to premises if the person’s action or inaction, as applicable to the offence, was with

(a) the consent of an occupier of the premises or an authorized person,

(b) other lawful authority, or

(c) colour of right.

Methods of giving or posting notice

5 (1) For the purposes of paragraph (c) of the definition of "enclosed land", signs must be posted so that, in daylight and under normal weather conditions, from the approach to each ordinary point of access to the enclosed land,

(a) a sign is clearly visible,

(b) if a sign contains writing, the writing is clearly legible, and

(c) if a sign uses graphic representation, the graphic representation is clearly visible.

(2) For the purposes of section 4 (1) (b) or (c), notice may be given

(a) orally or in writing, or

(b) by means of a sign posted at or near an ordinary point of access to the premises so that, in daylight and under normal weather conditions from the approach to the ordinary point of access, the sign satisfies the requirements of subsection (1) (a), (b) and (c) of this section.

(3) In a prosecution for an offence under section 4 (1) (a), (b) or (c), proof that a sign that complies with subsection (1) or (2) (b) of this section, as applicable, was posted at the ordinary point of access used by the defendant to enter the premises is sufficient for the purpose of establishing, as applicable, that

(a) the premises are enclosed land, or

(b) notice was given for the purpose of section 4 (1) (b) or (c).

(4) A sign, posted in accordance with subsection (2) (b), that names an activity and has an oblique line drawn through the name or that shows a graphic representation of an activity and has an oblique line drawn through the representation is sufficient for the purpose of giving notice that the activity is prohibited.

(5) A notice under this section may relate to all or a part of premises and different notices may be given or posted in relation to different parts of premises.

(6) A person, other than an occupier or authorized person, must not remove, alter or deface signs posted for the purpose of subsection (1) or (2) (b).

(7) A person who contravenes subsection (6) commits an offence.

PGKris
08-05-2006, 01:37 PM
I just found this today. Absolutely the best!!!

http://www.icisociety.ca/

Don't have time to explain it all right now but you should be able to figure it out. Just click on "Launch Map" on the right side. It's awesome!!! We've already used it to find out about 3 different spots. You have to be at 1:50,000 to get the land boundaries.
Cheers
Kris

Fred
08-05-2006, 10:10 PM
I must be pretty dense Kris, I couldn't even find Princeton! :roll: Fred

Radar
08-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Don't worry Fred I had a few problems myself, gave up til I have more time!

Fred
08-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Well heck, if one can't find it with Radar then I don't feel so bad! :roll: :biggrin: Fred

stickbow
08-06-2006, 09:03 AM
no fences,no buildings,no signs,no problem

PGKris
08-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah but what if that fenced piece of land with the nice buck in it is actually crown?? Been my experience that farmers can be a bit heavy on the barb wire. ???
Kris

mrdoog
08-06-2006, 05:42 PM
-is the land cutlivated?
-is livestock present?
-are there signs on the fence telling you to go away?
-are you under any other incumberance, such as road allowance provisions?
-if the answer is no, why wouldn't you shoot the deer?
-just because someone puts up a fence doesn't mean they have absolute control to the land

PGKris
08-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Exactly. But knowing exactly, to the metre, where the land boundaries are, can really help. I guess it's the new generation ;) We got all these newfangled techno-gizmos like internet maps and GPS. :D

Jelvis
08-06-2006, 07:21 PM
What does cultivated mean, I thought newly plowed seeded?

reach
08-07-2006, 11:38 AM
What does "occupied by livestock" mean? If you don't see any, does that mean it's not occupied? If you do see some cattle and keep driving, is there some minimum distance?

Or if there is one cow on 10,000 acres is the whole area off limits? Is it necessary to contact some government office to find out if grazing leases are present, or are they supposed to be signed or something? Will the government office know whether the land is "occupied by livestock"?

PGKris
08-07-2006, 02:26 PM
If it's community pasture the cattle owners have to have their cattle off before october 1st, I think.

mrdoog
08-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Man, oh man, you guys worry far too much about stuff like, fences and the accompaning annoyances.
It's a big Province, let's get out and enjoy it.
If you're worried about an area, move on, or if you see a house stop in and ask where they would prefer you don't hunt.
We've run across hand written signs stating they are rounding up stray cattle, we just move on.

Jelvis
08-07-2006, 07:55 PM
I was up in the mountains at 4000 ft a few years back in October and a guy told me he had some cattle up there and he didn't have to have them out til the 15th and that hunters weren't supposed to hunt there til he got them out. I don'y know to this day if he was correct or not.

reach
08-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Man, oh man, you guys worry far too much about stuff like, fences and the accompaning annoyances.
It's a big Province, let's get out and enjoy it.
If you're worried about an area, move on, or if you see a house stop in and ask where they would prefer you don't hunt.
We've run across hand written signs stating they are rounding up stray cattle, we just move on.
I was coming down Highway 97 from the 100 Mile House area yesterday, and I poked my nose into a few roads looking for a place to go for a walk and look for rabbits.

The problem is, that whole country is probably under grazing leases. It seems like every road has a cattleguard on it. To just "move on" might require some significant driving. That's why all the questions. It would be nice to know the rules before getting into a confrontation with an angry rancher.

PGKris
08-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah doog, where do you live that you don't have to worry about fences and farms? Must be nice.

mrdoog
08-08-2006, 08:33 AM
PGKris. where I live and where I hunt are 2 different concerns, the point I'm trying to make to Jelvis is, just because you drive over cattle gaurds or through fences doesn't mean you can' hunt in areas.
Common sense would dictate that if you see livestock, a house, a barn or the land is posted you move on. Same thing if I come across logging machinery, active or not.
No matter where I tread I try my best to respect other people's right to land useage, but as I posted previously Landowners have obligations as well.
I've been confronted by people in the bush, I apologise and move on.