PDA

View Full Version : New to Whitetail Deer hunting in Grand Forks, BC

AR Chuck
04-29-2011, 08:12 AM
So my father in law has a farm in Grand Forks and the whitetails seem a bit over populated. :mrgreen: I am a new hunter in BC and had a few questions so here goes.
1/ Is it true that in October you can harvest either male or female deer with your whitetail tag?

2/ Is there some place in Grand Forks to sight in my rifle ? Firing on the farm scares the neighbors animals so I need an informal range to sight in.

3/ Is there hunting access off the old rail bed somewhere? I have a few land owners permission to hunt, but wanted to know how far I can stalk.

4/ Anyone wanna join me this October?:mrgreen: Help a new hunter out?

Thanks all. Really any info on hunting Grand Forks would be excellent.

fearnodeer
04-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Yes it is true you can harvest a buck or a doe from oct 10 - 31. Never hunted Grand Forks but lots of deer there

goatdancer
04-29-2011, 11:54 AM
A lot of the area around the city is limited to bow or shotgun only. Check the regs before you go. The old rail bed is part of the Trans Canada Trail.

snowhunter
04-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Lots of deer in downtown Grand Forks.

AR Chuck
05-10-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm surprised there is not more hunters in this area..Seems like there is not much else to do around GF.

goatdancer
05-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm surprised there is not more hunters in this area..Seems like there is not much else to do around GF.

Lots of hunters there. The WTs you see in and around the city can't be hunted. They're actually quite tame and have lost their fear of humans. If you drive a few miles out of town the deer are very easily spooked and a lot harder to hunt. There are some very nice bucks around but you gotta work for them, just like anywhere else.

grunion
05-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Join the local Wildlife group. Grand Forks wildlife assoc. meeting every third Friday at the Hall. Memberships can be bought at Work and Play downtown. Includes use of the range,( rifle, trap)

bcbrez
05-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Also pick up a copy of the Hunting Regs and read them. Get the new Backroads map book for there too.

d6dan
05-10-2011, 12:53 PM
So my father in law has a farm in Grand Forks and the whitetails seem a bit over populated. :mrgreen: I am a new hunter in BC and had a few questions so here goes.
1/ Is it true that in October you can harvest either male or female deer with your whitetail tag?

2/ Is there some place in Grand Forks to sight in my rifle ? Firing on the farm scares the neighbors animals so I need an informal range to sight in.

3/ Is there hunting access off the old rail bed somewhere? I have a few land owners permission to hunt, but wanted to know how far I can stalk.

4/ Anyone wanna join me this October?:mrgreen: Help a new hunter out?

Thanks all. Really any info on hunting Grand Forks would be excellent.

1)You can shoot one of each sex.

2) Any old logging road will do.

3) Try the Brown Creek road.Just north of 10 mi bridge.

4) PM me and will talk to you reguarding this fall..

bobboa
05-10-2011, 01:59 PM
I live and hunt in the area. Just pm me and I am sure we could get directed in the right direction. I just hunted for the first time here last year and managed to tag to wt

deeks1989
05-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Well your father in laws should be pretty easy to whack one if it's not within city limits or a no shooting area... Grand forks is an excellent place to hunt overall for all different types of animals. You are no longer aloud to hunt in town any more... There is a gun range next to the dump in Grand forks for sighting in your rifle.
It's excellent country for spot and stalk hunting and/or whatever type of hunting you prefer... Spend time driving the dirt roads learning the country and layouts cause there are a ton of animals allover the place and I am sure you will see what your looking for which will give you a specific area to hunt.

AR Chuck
05-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Wow thanks all. It seems that all small towns in Canada have a range next to the dump. LOL I appreciate all the help.

killer_shot
05-12-2011, 08:43 AM
A) read the regs
B) buy a cross bow
C) go to farm in GF and thwack a WT in 2 seconds
D) place head over tailgate and parade around town like hero!

AR Chuck
09-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Anyone know where I can find a Map of Crown Land for the area?

SHAKER
09-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Wow thanks all. It seems that all small towns in Canada have a range next to the dump. LOL I appreciate all the help.

LOL my range is actually across town from the dump FYI...

Far as hunt'n deer in GF? Spend some time in the bush, check some country out and the old saying goes..... IF you can't see the lights of town your too far in the bush.