PDA

View Full Version : Fly rod repairs

sfire436
04-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Where is the best place to take fly rods in for repair? I have two rods that need their tips replaced.

sfire436

04-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Just get some epoxy and glue a tip on your self. Unles the rod is pricy and you want to keep the look. All a repair shop will do is just glue on a new guide. As for that place you need to post where you are,,, my momma dont have a house

Chuck
04-28-2011, 04:43 PM
You don't want to use epoxy however. The tip top, as it's called, is glued back on with hot glue - no, not glue gun hot glue, but the exact same type that is used to attach nocks and fletching to arrows. I think it's called "fletch tight" or "fletch rite". You can buy tip tops at good fishing supply shops. Get one that is as close as possible to the "bore" of the old one. Use a cigarette lighter to remove and replace the tip top - haet the glue to semi liquid state. You can then apply new winding to hide the transition. An easy fix for sure.

If you snap the tip off, don't throw the rod away. Just put on a new tip top of a bigger bore and give the rod to a kid for creek fishing.

Steeleco
04-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Check with the manufacturer of the fishing rod, it may be repaired for free and done right. I've broke my Sage twice and got a new one every time.

Tarp Man
04-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Your posted location... "yo mama's house"? Maybe post your real location and some direct suggestions could be made. First would be to tell us what brand of flyrod you are talking about.

sfire436
04-28-2011, 09:42 PM
I am in Delta. I will be taking it it out to Mikes reel repair in Abby with some of my buddies gear that needs to be done. Heard good things.