PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay in Kamloops?

The Hermit
04-28-2011, 12:06 AM
TrapperDan and I are coming up to the Kamloops gun show this weekend and are looking for a decent but not crazy expensive motel/hotel near the show? Suggestions?

Oh and since the UFC big fight with GSP and Shields is on Sat night I definitely want to be close (walking distance) to a pub that has it on the big screen!!

Maybe HBC guys should all get together for the fights!! Perhaps even get Jelvis to show us his moves!!!

Wonderful bc
04-28-2011, 12:37 AM
I can't suggest a place to stay in Kamloops but I can recommend the best Greek meal you'll ever have.( if you like greek food) I've eaten there every time I go to Kamloops. The owner, George is a short white haired greek guy who can cook a killer steak!
Sorry, no TV, just greek music.
http://www.kamloopsmenus.com/module-pagesetter-viewpub-tid-3-pid-64.html

Oh and don't forget to check out SURPLUS HERBIES

MuleyMadness
04-28-2011, 03:24 AM
On the North Shore (where the gun show is) really for hotels/motels you only have The Fortune Motel and the Holiday Inn. Both are decent, with the Holiday Inn only being a bit over a year old, but the Fortune is a decent spot too. Neither are very close to a pub though (the White Spot in the Holiday Inn does have a lounge, but I don't know if it will have the UFC on). There is a new Best Western in the Sahali area which isn't too far from the gun show, and is walking distance to a couple of good pubs and restuarants that will have the fight on (Fox and Hounds is the pub nearby...the hotel will know). There are some more 'budget' motels in the area of the Best Western as well, just have a look in google maps. I would recommend booking as soon as possible though, as in addition to the gun show, there are plenty of sports ongoing plus a maintenance shutdown at the pulp mill in town, which means at least 500 out of town workers taking up a lot of the rooms. Another good option now that I think about it is the Accent Inn...close to the afore mentioned pub, as well as a Boston Pizza, Japanese restuarants, Subway, etc.

Darksith
04-28-2011, 05:44 AM
the holiday in is close to the rockin firkin which will have the game on fyi. Its within walking distance easily. I'd say its less than 10 blocks

Westslope
04-28-2011, 07:38 AM
The Thompson Hotel and Conference Room I hear is really good. It's on the south shore but is on a street (Landsdowne) that offers quick access to the North Shore. Right next door to a good sports bar that serves it's own brewhouse beer. I heard it's $116 bucks a night.

MB_Boy
04-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Hey Hermit....

I am not a fan of UFC at all but a buddy is a HUGE fan; he travels a lot for work and uses this site to find establishments that are licensed to broadcast the events.

http://www.canadastarboxing.com/cstar-barnetwork.htm#

swampdonkey
04-28-2011, 08:10 AM
go to jelvis"s

The Hermit
04-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Thanks - Booked into the old reliable Best Western. It was hard finding a room! Looks like a busy weekend!!

Jagermeister
04-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Will you be having a booth there TH?

The Hermit
04-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Yes have two tables, A104 & A105. Will have Kowa, Fallkniven, Limbsaver, Darkhorse, Fenix products and our own Wall Tent Stoves. Bringing only 6 stoves which I hope will sell quickly so pre-order or be there early! :-) http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/Stoves_files/IMG_0308.jpg

MuleyMadness
04-28-2011, 12:03 PM
the holiday in is close to the rockin firkin which will have the game on fyi. Its within walking distance easily. I'd say its less than 10 blocks

Yes you are right Darksith...forgot about that pub, which has great atmosphere, and decent food. In fact it's a lot less than 10 blocks, more like a block and a bit, the Fortune is the same distance away from the Firken, maybe a block more. Thanks for the reminder.

MuleyMadness
04-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Yes have two tables, A104 & A105. Will have Kowa, Fallkniven, Limbsaver, Darkhorse, Fenix products and our own Wall Tent Stoves. Bringing only 6 stoves which I hope will sell quickly so pre-order or be there early! :-) http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/Stoves_files/IMG_0308.jpg

I am really glad to hear you will be there with your Kowa gear, finally a chance to see if it lives up to your faith in it :) Any possibility you will have a 'babysitter' with you to allow prospective buyers a chance to have a look through them outside in natural light?

Glassman
04-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Hey Hermit. You have Fenix lights? I got a tk40 with 630 lumins, and it is by far the best flaslight I have ever used. Do you have the new tk41 and the tk35? 800+ lumins? Also looking at getting a light that fits on my head.

The Hermit
04-28-2011, 10:38 PM
I don't have the new ones in stock but can order them for you... typically a week turn around. MuleyMadness you are welcome to take them outside for a look see. I'll have a TSN-880 series spotter, one of the new spotters with camera adapter, and a couple sets of binos! Bring your crappy Swaros/Lieca/Ziess for a side by side comparison!! ;-) LOL Oh and bring your pockets full of cash too! <grin>

David Heitsman
05-01-2011, 07:59 PM
When I'm seeing clients or working on the KIB bighorn tag I stay at the Hampton for $117 I think. For the Wild Sheep Show I sat at the Kamloops Towne Lodge for about the same.

The Hermit
05-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Many thanks to BuckHunter for putting TrapperDan and myself up for a couple nights! Lots of food was eaten, beers swilled, and laughs laughed!! Got to hang out at the Friggin Humper or whatever bar that was to watch the fights and bear witness to Lou let in a STUPID BRAIN DEAD GOAL in the last minutes of the game!!! GHHHHHH

The gun show was okay, although I understand the numbers were way down from previous years... only 2400 through the doors on Sat and it was pretty dead on Sunday! I did get to put faces to lots of HBC'ers and enjoyed yaking with people about hunting and hunting gear!

Much thanks to TrapperDan too for coming along and helping work the crowds! It would have been a drag trying to do it on my own!

buckhunter
05-02-2011, 07:51 PM
you guys are more than welcome,anytime. next time you come in we can go to the friggin humper (Rockin Firkin) again. maybe Luango will learn how to play hockey.......or golf! glad you guys had a good time.

The Hermit
05-02-2011, 10:59 PM
you guys are more than welcome,anytime. next time you come in we can go to the friggin humper (Rockin Firkin) again. maybe Luango will learn how to play hockey.......or golf! glad you guys had a good time.

You think that you could find it again??? LOL