PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 Ammo for Grizzly?

Big G Hunter
04-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Finally got my grizzly draw for this spring. Was just wondering of some good ammo for my Browning 30-06, for grizzly. Normally shoot Federal 150 gr for everything from black bear to moose. I think I need some stopping power for MR.Grizzly. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

358mag
04-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Congrads on your Grizz draw.Load it up your 30-06 with 165gr Nolser PT or 165 Barnes TTSX make the frist shot count and have your skinning knife sharp .Stoping power only starts after you screw up your frist shoot dont matter if your shooting a 30-06 or a 416Rem Mag.

Everett
04-27-2011, 08:21 PM
180 gr tsx or 168gr tsx would be my choice provided they shoot in your rifle. Grizzly are not bullet proof my Grandfather used to shoot them with a .32 special with normal lead core 170gr bullets.

muledeercrazy
04-27-2011, 09:00 PM
I am accompanying a friend for his draw this spring. "In case" i have to defend myself, i think id want a 180+ grain barnes or 200 grand slam, or something like that. Sure you can do it with less, but idealy you want to break a front shoulder right? I think a 150 or 160 is a little light, unless its absolutely all you have. Given a choice, its a poor one.

Krico
04-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Grizzlies fall over and die like everything else. Don't believe the hype. Find something your rifle shoots accurately and go with it. This is coming from a guy who had to shoot one inside of 10 yards that was charging in to eat me.

todbartell
04-27-2011, 09:04 PM
I'd suggest the Federal premium 180gr Barnes TSX

good luck on your hunt!

GRIZZEZE
04-27-2011, 09:14 PM
I took mine out with a 180gr nosler partition at 80 yds complete pass through both front shoulders. The bear rolled around a little but did not make it off of the road.

Singleshotneeded
04-27-2011, 09:19 PM
180 grain Nosler Partition or Barnes TSX...throw some bonded lead at that critter!

.330 Dakota
04-27-2011, 11:00 PM
200 grain Nosler would be my choice

todbartell
04-27-2011, 11:12 PM
200 grain Nosler would be my choice

I don't think he shoots handloads

muledeercrazy
04-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Grizzlies fall over and die like everything else. Don't believe the hype. Find something your rifle shoots accurately and go with it. This is coming from a guy who had to shoot one inside of 10 yards that was charging in to eat me.

so, i gotta say it.... from a guy who shot his grizzly at ten yards, dont worry about what type of bullet just find one that groups really nice at long ranges? i call bs

vip_ruger
04-28-2011, 01:06 AM
Me and my partner got a big bear 2 years ago and i used my odd 6 and shot 200 grain nosler and he died on the 5 feet from where we shot him

Darksith
04-28-2011, 05:54 AM
there are 2 factors to consider when talking about hitting power. First how fast the bullet is going as velocity is a huge factor in hitting power. Second is bullet weight. If you are buying factory ammo they usually claim that those suckers are moving pretty fast so you should feel comfortable with a 180g. If your hand loading then you can ethically step down a bit in bullet weight and compensate that with a faster mover.

Almost any bullet will penetrate the first shoulder as long as your not shooting from too far away. I personally prefer the hornady GMX bullet, its all guilded metal and stays together a bit more for that big punch.

Ride Red
04-28-2011, 06:59 AM
there are 2 factors to consider when talking about hitting power. First how fast the bullet is going as velocity is a huge factor in hitting power. Second is bullet weight. If you are buying factory ammo they usually claim that those suckers are moving pretty fast so you should feel comfortable with a 180g. If your hand loading then you can ethically step down a bit in bullet weight and compensate that with a faster mover.

Almost any bullet will penetrate the first shoulder as long as your not shooting from too far away. I personally prefer the hornady GMX bullet, its all guilded metal and stays together a bit more for that big punch.

I'd take a slower heavier grain bullet anyday over a light fast one. Its science, a 100 mph honda does little damage, but a 70 mph semi does lots.

.330 Dakota
04-28-2011, 07:17 AM

Something in the Federal lineup maybe?

Mik
04-28-2011, 10:10 AM
What works best in my old savage 30-06 is the 165 grain remingtons core-lokt! Ive nailed 2 grizz with it.

Words of advice that I recieved years ago: remember when shooting a grizz, shoot through the front legs to knock em down, its not a deer, you dont want to go looking for a wounded lung shot Grizz.

KB90
04-28-2011, 10:14 AM
It's unethical to kill a grizzly with a 30-06................ It will just bounce of their armour plated fur.

WesHarm
04-28-2011, 10:16 AM
no one wears kevlar these days, its just plain old griz hide :D

srupp
04-28-2011, 10:35 AM
use the 30-06 with Barnes TSX bullets in 180 grain......not the Nosler...nosler for moose...TSX for shoulder shots on G bears///

Steven

Foxton Gundogs
04-28-2011, 10:35 AM
I would suggest Remington Core-Lokt 220 gr. (as was already so well said a slow Semi does more damage than a fast honda) and the key is try to remain hidden to the bear when you shoot I've seen a bear with litterly no heart left tear up 1/4 mile of willow dead on its feet. If the adrenolin gets going they can do a lot of damage "dead"

Barracuda
04-28-2011, 11:17 AM
I have 165 g tsx which i am allready sighted in for on my carbine (back up/spare rifle my main rifle is a 375 for this trip) and i am loading up 168 tsx for the 30-06 for the wifes rifle . Once you see how well the tsx perfom you will be sold on them.

luckynuts
04-28-2011, 11:19 AM
use the 30-06 with Barnes TSX bullets in 180 grain......not the Nosler...nosler for moose...TSX for shoulder shots on G bears///

Steven

Shoot the best constructed bullet you can afford and that is accurate in your gun. Like Steve said the TSX or TTSX are great choices and he has seen a few G-bears killed.

That said I personally know of more Grizzlies killed with good ole 180gr power points and speer soft points than anything else.

W.

Recordram
04-28-2011, 11:20 AM
I see no problem with a Barnes 180 TSX. Why do people ask if you should break the shoulders down on a grizzly? Shoot him in the ass and sooner or later he will stop moving as well. Shoot him in the lungs take out the heart. Alot less suffering. Or better yet know how to shoot your gun in all situations.

srupp
04-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Recodram...not helpful even in jest....shoot them in the lungs the ass etc....sheeeesh

use the 180 grain TSX and take out the shoulder...none of this other drivel........

if the have a TSX thats even one size larger use that...ass shot or lung shot can do a hell of lot of damage..and cover a hell of a lot of ground maybe climbing over your body in the process...its much easier for the taxidermist to patch a 1" hole in the bears hide than the surgeon deal with a 1" hole in your hide...

Steven

todbartell
04-28-2011, 01:31 PM
the lungs hide behind the front legs of a bear, a good bullet will break bone and still hit vitals and possibly break the offside bone and exit, giving a blood trail. Use a penetrating bullet on bear

elkdom
04-28-2011, 01:43 PM
I have personally shot bears through the heart, blowing the heart into a mush of indistinguishable tissue,

the bear can go FULL THROTTLE 80+ plus yards with the heart totally destroyed,,,

the BEST and safest shot is broadside, standing still, and preferably shoot no farther than where your bullet retains at least 2000 ft pd of energy,( most cases inside 150 yards)

should you miscalculate on a lung shot ? and only hit ONE lung ?, the bear can live a long,long time!, and go for miles,,,,,,,, you can be in BIG trouble,,,,,,

with TWO broken front shoulders, the bear is incapacitated to maneuver,,,

srupp
04-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks Elkdom some SAGE advice.....todbartell also covers this subject...BREAK down that first shoulder that will indeed will drive bone fragments like hand grenade shrapnell through the lungs AND IF using a well constructed premium bullet..ie BARNES TSX you may just break down the opposite side shoulder as well...

If you havnt seen a 500 pound grizzly enranged and NOT properly hit....it is beyond belief how far and how fast these massive beasts can go...

I aint guessing here......just trying to help...

cheers
Steven

180grainer
04-28-2011, 02:03 PM
.Stoping power only starts after you screw up your frist shoot dont matter if your shooting a 30-06 or a 416Rem Mag.

I'd have to disagree with that statement. A 416 Remington will provide significantly more stopping power than an 06. So much so they're not even comparable really. With a 30 caliber, stick with a bullet of solid construction such as the Barnes, (as suggested by others) and one with a high sectional density such as a 180 grain or better. And if you intend to stick with the 06, go with a friend who's also carrying a rifle. There's lots of anecdotal "evidence" from others suggesting an 06 is plenty of gun for griz. I consider it a minimum regardless of the past success others have had using it. I know of two people, one a friend of mine and the other a guide who I knew not so well. One used a 270 and the other a 7mm Rem. Both killed by the wounded grizzly they were hunting.

elkdom
04-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks Elkdom some SAGE advice.....todbartell also covers this subject...BREAK down that first shoulder that will indeed will drive bone fragments like hand grenade shrapnell through the lungs AND IF using a well constructed premium bullet..ie BARNES TSX you may just break down the opposite side shoulder as well...

If you havnt seen a 500 pound grizzly enranged and NOT properly hit....it is beyond belief how far and how fast these massive beasts can go...

I aint guessing here......just trying to help...

cheers
Steven

X2 !, a couple of inches "off" with the shot ?,,, L or R or up or down ?,,,,,,,, or a shot a bit too far ?

and the fun and games become a DEADLY challenge to survive !, facing a wounded Grizz or looking for one in dense brush, so dense you cannot see 20 yards! will make you $hit razor blades, and you wont have time to grab any a$$-wipes, while it is happening!

be informed,
be extra careful,
always expect the un-expected,,,,,,,,,,

goatdancer
04-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Federal high-energy 180 gr Nosler Partition packs more oomph than any standard 30-06 offering.

Pioneerman
04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
There is a few silly comments here a 06 is nothing compared to a 416 I have had both and I would always pick the 416 over the 06 for dangerous game and for something charging the 06 will do damage, but the tsx in the 416 will go through the animal length wise. And as for shooting in the ass , come on are you aerious ? Also the heart liung is not a instant kill shot. It you are high on living on the edge then shoot the lungs and see if you are far enough away to get a head start when it comes your way. I took a large black bear many years ago, right through the heart which we saw nothing but jelly when gutted it, and it ran for close to 70 yards. So shoulders are the way to go, then you can make your next shot where you like, ass, foot, lungs, ear, it is your choice then, just make the first one count, you might not get another.

elkdom
04-28-2011, 02:48 PM
I'd have to disagree with that statement. A 416 Remington will provide significantly more stopping power than an 06. So much so they're not even comparable really. With a 30 caliber, stick with a bullet of solid construction such as the Barnes, (as suggested by others) and one with a high sectional density such as a 180 grain or better. And if you intend to stick with the 06, go with a friend who's also carrying a rifle. There's lots of anecdotal "evidence" from others suggesting an 06 is plenty of gun for griz. I consider it a minimum regardless of the past success others have had using it. I know of two people, one a friend of mine and the other a guide who I knew not so well. One used a 270 and the other a 7mm Rem. Both killed by the wounded grizzly they were hunting.

if the Original Poster of this thread is "Proficient" with his 30-06 ? then by ALL means, he should stick with THAT rifle,
to borrow take an unfamiliar rifle on a Grizz hunt is suicidal ! !

Foxton Gundogs
04-28-2011, 04:14 PM
X2 !, a couple of inches "off" with the shot ?,,, L or R or up or down ?,,,,,,,, or a shot a bit too far ?

and the fun and games become a DEADLY challenge to survive !, facing a wounded Grizz or looking for one in dense brush, so dense you cannot see 20 yards! will make you $hit razor blades, and you wont have time to grab any a$$-wipes, while it is happening!

be informed,
be extra careful,
always expect the un-expected,,,,,,,,,,

Very well said, and thats where stoping power really comes in and why the most of the pros opt to carry slower heavy lead throwers like 45-70s, 450s and even short barrel 12 ga. with slugs for backup guns.

deepwater
04-28-2011, 04:44 PM
i have an old 30.06 that loves 200 gr partitions (nosler) have always been excellent on moose bear caribou

Krico
04-28-2011, 04:57 PM
so, i gotta say it.... from a guy who shot his grizzly at ten yards, dont worry about what type of bullet just find one that groups really nice at long ranges? i call bs

Several members from this site have been to my house and the rug is hanging over the railing in the front entrance. I even posted the story a while back.
Ironic that a guy with a cheesy growling bear mount is calling me a liar. It was probably eating grass when you shot it.

roberto mervici
04-28-2011, 05:02 PM
I fire many handload in a Browning BAR without any falior, you need to use a small base full lenght resizing die. I use 180grain tip over near max IMR 4350

Ride Red
04-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Very well said, and thats where stoping power really comes in and why the most of the pros opt to carry slower heavy lead throwers like 45-70s, 450s and even short barrel 12 ga. with slugs for backup guns.

Once you've seen a grizzly go nuts after being shot, you'll put the pop guns away. You won't have any perfect broadside shots after your first one, so always make your first one count. Not saying you can't do it with an '06, I just prefer to use a little more thump, thats why I use my 375 H&H with 300 grain in it.

todbartell
04-28-2011, 07:17 PM
30-06 is marginal but a 300 Win Mag is a cannon

huntingfamily
04-28-2011, 07:39 PM
30-06 is marginal but a 300 Win Mag is a cannon

Ha Ha, you nailed it TB!
The boar I shot 2 years ago went down hard with one shot using a 180 gr accubond. In just behind the near shoulder and took out the far shoulder, just under 200 yards on rangefinder. What would I use next time - exactly the same thing, thanks.

Good luck to all this spring.

BromBones
04-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Once you've seen a grizzly go nuts after being shot, you'll put the pop guns away. You won't have any perfect broadside shots after your first one, so always make your first one count.

Wildest grizz shot-reaction I've ever seen was a large mountain grizz that my uncle shot. It was on the far side of the river from us standing at the waters edge, 100 yards away. Bear was quartered towards us, and got poked through the point of the shoulder with a 338/250 Partition. At the shot, it looked like a balloon when you let the air out of it - he exploded in a jump about 20 ft into the river, gathered himself up after the splash, swam back to shore, and made a run up a 40 ft sandy bank (on three legs) before he expired near the top and slid back down. I've killed a few grizz and been in on quite a few others, but never saw anything like that. His shoulder bone was shattered, organs were mangled, and had a gaping hole out the far side. Very tough and impressive animals.

liambobbi
04-28-2011, 07:57 PM
easy 180 grain nolser partitions and if you dont handload the trophy grade nosler custom ammo is great

Big G Hunter
04-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Finally got my grizzly draw for this spring. Was just wondering of some good ammo for my Browning 30-06, for grizzly. Normally shoot Federal 150 gr for everything from black bear to moose. I think I need some stopping power for MR.Grizzly. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Thanks or all of the advice and tips. I do have a 300 win mag that is still a virgin. Bought it 2 years ago and have yet to put a bead on anything. Not real comfortable with the bolt action and all ( love my lever) and I Can shoot lights out with my 06, Had it for 10 years plus. Also have a Browning lever 284. Not much for variety of factory shells, and I haven't started reloading yet.

Thanks everyone and good luck!

Pioneerman
04-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks or all of the advice and tips. I do have a 300 win mag that is still a virgin. Bought it 2 years ago and have yet to put a bead on anything. Not real comfortable with the bolt action and all ( love my lever) and I Can shoot lights out with my 06, Had it for 10 years plus. Also have a Browning lever 284. Not much for variety of factory shells, and I haven't started reloading yet.

Thanks everyone and good luck!

If you have a 300 win mag why are you asking all this, and even better question what are you saving it for? Why would you use it in possibly one of the most important hunts you are going on. If you don't think you need the mag for the largest preditor you might ever face then what are you saving it for, something that doesn't bite back ? I would start practicing with it now.

muledeercrazy
04-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Several members from this site have been to my house and the rug is hanging over the railing in the front entrance. I even posted the story a while back.
Ironic that a guy with a cheesy growling bear mount is calling me a liar. It was probably eating grass when you shot it.

i dont care how many grizzlies you have shot, it still doesnt excuse you for giving poor advice. For the record, I never called you a liar. I am sure you probably did shoot the grzzly, but just having it at your house means nothing without a sworn statement for friends:) if a grizzly was charging you at under 30 feet where did you shoot him? How did it not matter what type of bullet you used?

Anyways, i still call bs. Having a good bullet is way more important than one that groups 3/4" vs 2 " at a hundred yards.

It is of my opinion that you could be "mentally challenged." -i checked with the legal department, thats not slander and is pc...

I am pround of the fact that i have shot my bears while they are eating grass, they didnt even know i was there.

I feel that I would be smart enough to be embarassed about a grizzly getting to less than 10 yards away from me, and having to shoot it while charging..

Maybe the full story doesnt sound as bad?

BromBones
04-28-2011, 08:55 PM
If you have a 300 win mag why are you asking all this, and even better question what are you saving it for? Why would you use it in possibly one of the most important hunts you are going on. If you don't think you need the mag for the largest preditor you might ever face then what are you saving it for, something that doesn't bite back ? I would start practicing with it now.

He gave two exceptional reasons for wanting to use his '06 - he's comfortable with it, and can shoot well with it. Far better trade off than using a rifle he says he's not comfortable with, for a couple hundred fps gain.

Krico
04-28-2011, 10:05 PM
i dont care how many grizzlies you have shot, it still doesnt excuse you for giving poor advice.
I made no reference to how many grizzlies I've shot, so not sure why you're bringing that up? When did you become the authority deciding what was good versus bad advice?
For the record, I never called you a liar.
Calling b.s. is the same as calling someone a liar. You have restated it again below.
I am sure you probably did shoot the grzzly, but just having it at your house means nothing without a sworn statement for friends:)
Not even worth a response.
if a grizzly was charging you at under 30 feet where did you shoot him? How did it not matter what type of bullet you used?
Go read the story. Use the search function.
Anyways, i still call bs. So you still aren't calling me a liar?

Having a good bullet is way more important than one that groups 3/4" vs 2 " at a hundred yards.
That is your opinion, not fact. The difference between 160 and 180 grain bullets, or tsx versus accubond versus swift sciroccos, while fun for some to argue, is really pointless.
It is of my opinion that you could be "mentally challenged." -i checked with the legal department, thats not slander and is pc...
Usually throwing insults is the first sign someone is losing an arguement.
I am pround of the fact that i have shot my bears while they are eating grass, they didnt even know i was there.
You missed the irony there. Let me explain it. You shot a bear eating grass. Then you got it mounted growling like it was attacking you (making it out to be much more viscous than it really was). Then you called b.s. that I had shot one at under 10 yards which actually was coming in to eat me. Get it now?

I feel that I would be smart enough to be embarassed about a grizzly getting to less than 10 yards away from me, and having to shoot it while charging..
I have nothing to be embarassed about. That's what happened. If you think you're too smart for anything like that to happen to you, you haven't spent much time in the bush.

Maybe the full story doesnt sound as bad?
Once again, go read it.

As for the original question - go shoot something that's accurate in your gun-whether that's tsx, accubonds, swift A-frames or any number of other good bullets available. Shoot whatever grain you want to, without being silly. You know, 165, 180, 200 grain, whatever-where you put the bullet will make far more difference than an extra 20 grains of bullet weight, or whether it's solid copper, bonded or partitioned.

muledeercrazy
04-28-2011, 11:41 PM
I stand by my opinion. Your advice is BS. My opinion is that for Bear hunting you should use the biggest and best constructed bullet you can. Yours was different, and now you justify your very vague advice by with adding as long as it is a solid, partition, or bonded. And then you say it should be 165 grains or higher.

Grizzlies fall over and die like everything else. Don't believe the hype. Find something your rifle shoots accurately and go with it. This is coming from a guy who had to shoot one inside of 10 yards that was charging in to eat me."If you had said, find a good bullet of the heaviest weight you can and then dont worry about it, I wouldnt have been critical.

Calling what you say BS is not calling you a liar, I just disagree with what you said.

You said again that it is my opinion that knock down power is more important than accuracy. Your right its just my opinion and i dont want to hijack this thread. For whats its worth i never said you were a liar, just that your advice was bad. As far as my picture, i guess i will have to explain to the owner and hunter of the bear (not me) the irony. There is a story there, but not for you :) In your story, what type of bulled did you use to stop the charging grizzly bear in its tracks? Congrats on making a good shot, and on getting the bear.

Deaddog
04-29-2011, 07:17 AM
I had to shoot a grizzly in a full out charge, 180 grain from my 30-06 did the job, if that is the gun you are most comfortable with...use it!

.330 Dakota
04-29-2011, 07:30 AM
I think when it comes down the CHARGE TIME, you had just better to be able to accurately shoot whatever is in your hand at the time. What size it is, is not as important as, "can you shoot it", However I do believe that it is unwise to bring a knife to a tank battle.
If I was deer hunting with a 243 and was charged by a griz, I guess I would shoot him with a 243

elkdom
04-29-2011, 07:31 AM
I had to shoot a grizzly in a full out charge, 180 grain from my 30-06 did the job, if that is the gun you are most comfortable with...use it!

BINGO! know your rifle, complete confidence with his 30-06 , is most important ,,

30-06's have been killing Big Grizz and Kodiak and Polar bears for over a hundred years, Proven track records such as that cannot be ignored , and 150 feet per second at the muzzle from a similar bullet from a 300 mag really is indistinguishable at 150 yards,

go kill your Grizz, have fun, be careful, good luck!

srupp
04-29-2011, 07:57 AM
use the rifle you are familliar with...too bad that 300 didnt get some time being used..

I suggest NOT using Nosler..and before everyone gets their panties in a bunch..the TSX retains 97% stays together while the Nosler sheds 40 %....

break don that shoulder

70 yards inside minimum - 150 yards max..

shoot em while they dont know your there..no adrenaline prime... keep shooting till they are don and eyes open..

have fun good luck

steven

elkdom
04-29-2011, 08:04 AM
use the rifle you are familliar with...too bad that 300 didnt get some time being used..

I suggest NOT using Nosler..and before everyone gets their panties in a bunch..the TSX retains 97% stays together while the Nosler sheds 40 %....

break down that shoulder

70 yards inside minimum - 150 yards max..

shoot em while they dont know your there..no adrenaline prime... keep shooting till they are don and eyes open..

have fun good luck

steven

and dont worry if you have to make a few EXTRA 1 inch holes, there is lots of extra hide for the Taxi' to sew back in,,,

CanuckShooter
04-29-2011, 09:15 AM
I think when it comes down the CHARGE TIME, you had just better to be able to accurately shoot whatever is in your hand at the time. What size it is, is not as important as, "can you shoot it", However I do believe that it is unwise to bring a knife to a tank battle.
If I was deer hunting with a 243 and was charged by a griz, I guess I would shoot him with a 243

Well said!!

Singleshotneeded
04-29-2011, 09:38 AM
In Kitimat when I was a kid, a grizz came onto the school ground on Nalabila Avenue, and we were all brought inside. A cop put a few shots in it's chest from 100 yards away, and the grizz died about 15 yards from him on a beeline to him. Very tough critters, use a tough bonded bullet like the tsx, and shoot for through the shoulders to anchor him. I'd be using a 180 grain bullet at the minimum, and if I were buying a grizzly rifle, I'd get a .338 WM or larger. If you're recoil sensitive, then you can get the Browning BAR, and with a Limbsaver/Pachmayr recoil pad and the semi-auto action you'll be able to shoot it accurately.

Barracuda
04-29-2011, 10:16 AM
thing with the barnes is they retain weight and keep plouging through 1,5 time diameter.

168g tsx or ttsx is gonna keep 99% whilst the nosler partitions shit the bed and drop 40% of the weight and keep penciling through a 30 cal hole with only 108g left of a 180g bullet.

i will stick with barnes

pitbell
04-29-2011, 10:23 AM
I feel that I would be smart enough to be embarrassed about a grizzly getting to less than 10 yards away from me, and having to shoot it while charging..

Muledeercrazy,
I would be embarrassed for typing something so stupid... Why would anyone be embarrassed for successfully stopping a Grizz charge?

srupp
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
that old saying that Srupp made so famous..."its much easier to fix a 1" hole in his hide(the bears) than a 1" hole in your hide"

STEVEN

steel_ram
04-29-2011, 11:46 AM
thing with the barnes is they retain weight and keep plouging through 1,5 time diameter.

168g tsx or ttsx is gonna keep 99% whilst the nosler partitions shit the bed and drop 40% of the weight and keep penciling through a 30 cal hole with only 108g left of a 180g bullet.

i will stick with barnes

The Nosler Partition may shead up to 40% of it's weight ( the front lead core). This will not be on impact but well into the target. Even so it is unlikely the Nosler will lose the classic "mushroom" shape due to the retained copper jacket, creating a much wider than 30 cal. wound channel. Choose what you like, but Noslers are proven performers. In a 30-06 class cartridge, with it's moderate (in todays standards) velocity, reliable penetration can be assured with most standard 180 spire points, even at point blank ranges.

Goliath
04-29-2011, 12:11 PM
If you can't figure out what to use, go to the Federal website and choose your caliber & prey...their super computers will figure it all out.

srupp
04-29-2011, 01:04 PM
steel_ram...having used both on many animals....I have yet to see a Barnes TSX on moose or grizzly shoulders not come out exactly like promised....

Nosler makes premium bullets....however in this specific situation..hunting grizzly and the shot required and what is expected and what the consequences could be...I still recomend TSX..IMO much better in this scenario..and considerably better than Nosler for this application...

cheers
Steven

todbartell
04-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Nosler partition is a great bullet, but it's not 1948 anymore

kendoo
04-29-2011, 06:02 PM
one thing that has not been mentioned is spring bear vs. fall bear. Spring bear are skinny & no muscle mass, come late fall fat & muscle are much thicker & require much more foot lbs. Spring bear are weaker & easier to kill in my opinion. Just my .02 good luck on your bear hunt.

Weatherby Fan
04-29-2011, 06:47 PM
We have been using Barnes X and now the TSX for years and never had an issue,moose,elk,deer,bears do yourself a favour and use the Barnes TSX - you won't be disappointed in there performance.
Good Luck on your bear hunt.
WF

SimilkameenSlayer
04-29-2011, 08:29 PM
the 30-06 makes for an awesome backup for the 375 h&h.

Slee
04-30-2011, 12:01 PM

Thanks

30-06 is too small! Give me your LEH Grizzly draw and I'll wack one with the 300bee :mrgreen:

Good luck with your hunt! My grizzly hunt last year was one of the best hunts I have ever been on! Your -06 150grn. is more then enough gun for a Bruin! And speaking of Bruins, there is a big game on CBC right now!

bob the tomato
04-30-2011, 03:50 PM
tsx tsx tsx.....
use the best, or similar monolithic bullet
nough said

2SHALLOW
04-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Full metal jacket..............kiddn!! I read a good book called wolf man of alaska and thats all he used for grizz was a 30-06!! that was in the 30's and crappy lead!! JMHO.. Good luck.

North Star
04-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Sorry guys but the analogy of being hit with a semi vs a honda does not equate here. A semi is about 20 times the mass of a honda. A 150gr bullet is 83% of the weight of a 180gr bullet. The more appropriate question would be which bullet would you rather get hit with, the 150 gr or the 180gr? The answer would be neither because both would do a tremendous amount of damage.

Kinetic energy is determined by the following equation.

KE = 1/2M x (V)squared

OR

Kinetic Energy = one half mass times velocity squared.

late model accord = 1356 kilos

semi tractor loaded = approx 30000 kilos.

at 100 mph (161kmh or 44m/s) the accord would produce 1,312,608 joules.

at 70 mph (112kmh or 31m/s) the semi would produce 14,415,000 joules.

As darksith said velocity is the most important factor in determining KE. This why at a thousand yards a 7mm Rem mag 165gr (with a quality bullet) can have more KE than a 30-378 180gr. I believe at about 700 or so yards the velocity of the 7mm begins to out pace the 30 cal and the KE difference begins to widen in favour or the lighter but faster 7mm.

In the 30.06 the velocity of a 150gr vs 180gr is slightly higher for the 150gr thus the minimal weight difference is of little effect on kinetic energy. Simply look at ballistic tables for the 30.06 and you will see the difference in KE between the two is really just splitting hairs. Bullet quality is probably more important. A bullet that stays together and retains its mass will carry energy forward better than a cheap one that fragments.

That said there can be an argument made about fragmentation and dumping it's energy in to a target vs a clean pass through.

IMHO the lung shot is a much safer shot. As has been said you may only get one quality shot. A lung shot bear is not a "wounded bear" it is a mortally wounded bear. No matter what bear it is it will surely expire. A shoulder shot on the other hand is not necessarily a mortal wound. As has been mentioned a shoulder shot bear can travel a long way and quickly on three legs and if the pressure is on you may not get another quality shot if one at all. That said it is better to mortally wound the bear than to take the chance with a potentially non-mortal wound. Personally I would much rather track a mortally wounded lung shot bear than one with a shoulder wound which may do nothing more than piss it off.

elkdom
04-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Sorry guys but the analogy of being hit with a semi vs a honda does not equate here. A semi is about 20 times the mass of a honda. A 150gr bullet is 83% of the weight of a 180gr bullet. The more appropriate question would be which bullet would you rather get hit with, the 150 gr or the 180gr? The answer would be neither because both would do a tremendous amount of damage.

Kinetic energy is determined by the following equation.

KE = 1/2M x (V)squared

OR

Kinetic Energy = one half mass times velocity squared.

late model accord = 1356 kilos

semi tractor loaded = approx 30000 kilos.

at 100 mph (161kmh or 44m/s) the accord would produce 1,312,608 joules.

at 70 mph (112kmh or 31m/s) the semi would produce 14,415,000 joules.

As darksith said velocity is the most important factor in determining KE. This why at a thousand yards a 7mm Rem mag 165gr (with a quality bullet) can have more KE than a 30-378 180gr. I believe at about 700 or so yards the velocity of the 7mm begins to out pace the 30 cal and the KE difference begins to widen in favour or the lighter but faster 7mm.

In the 30.06 the velocity of a 150gr vs 180gr is slightly higher for the 150gr thus the minimal weight difference is of little effect on kinetic energy. Simply look at ballistic tables for the 30.06 and you will see the difference in KE between the two is really just splitting hairs. Bullet quality is probably more important. A bullet that stays together and retains its mass will carry energy forward better than a cheap one that fragments.

That said there can be an argument made about fragmentation and dumping it's energy in to a target vs a clean pass through.

IMHO the lung shot is a much safer shot. As has been said you may only get one quality shot. A lung shot bear is not a "wounded bear" it is a mortally wounded bear. No matter what bear it is it will surely expire. A shoulder shot on the other hand is not necessarily a mortal wound. As has been mentioned a shoulder shot bear can travel a long way and quickly on three legs and if the pressure is on you may not get another quality shot if one at all. That said it is better to mortally wound the bear than to take the chance with a potentially non-mortal wound. Personally I would much rather track a mortally wounded lung shot bear than one with a shoulder wound which may do nothing more than piss it off.

so please do tell how many Grizzly you personally have pissed off verses killed ?

todbartell
04-30-2011, 10:49 PM

wow :-D

A 7mm Rem Mag with a 165gr bullet (only one available is a factory loaded Sierra 165gr GameKing btsp (BC .465) @ 2950 fps. A 30-378 Wby Mag with a 180gr Sierra GameKing btsp (BC .501) goes 3460 fps (Hodgdon.com ~ max load of Retumbo). When both are zero'd @ 200 yards you'd see this :

7mm 165gr @ 2950 fps
200y zero, 2575 fps, 2425 ft lbs energy
500y 40" low, 2075 fps, 1550 ft lbs energy
700y 105" low, 1750 fps, 1125 ft lbs energy
1000y 295" low, 1375 fps, 700 ft lbs energy

30-378 180gr @ 3460 fps
200y zero, 3075 fps, 3750 ft lbs energy
500y 27" low, 2550 fps, 2575 ft lbs energy
700y 71" low, 2225 fps, 1975 ft lbs
1000y 193" low, 1800 fps, 1300 ft lbs energy

:-D

just wanted to point that out before someone reads that, believes it, and tells their buddy and looks like a complete idiot in front of them

Barracuda
04-30-2011, 10:58 PM
:razz::razz: lol :razz::razz:

srupp
05-01-2011, 08:44 AM
sheesh..cant believe the absolute S### being dished out by some folks,,,,,,ya try and help by using common sense..experience..lots of experience..using the latest proven technology...and what has worked so many times and why...and what was a epic failure and why...

and we get 2 pages of 'siths" and trains..yes why yes sitting in a passenger train doing 120 kph it does effectively kill a grizzly..same with the hide and head ..but besides NOT being in the regs...neither is dropping an elephant on one..

stick with TSX...30-06 can be used because you are so used to it...it will work... not THE BEST choice imo..but certainly doable using premium TSX bullets , a reasonable distance by a calm individual with a good back up along..on a unagitated calm bear....

should be a great hunt....

cheers
Steven

moosinaround
05-01-2011, 09:16 PM
30-06 is enough rifle for sure. Use a premium bullet, a monolithic like a TSX, or E-tip, or whatever Hornady has in 180gr, or a premium partition bullet like a Nosler 200gr, or a Swift A-frame 200gr. Make sure you are sighted in, a 1" group or less at 100yrds is the worst I would take on a Grizz hunt. Make sure you have been practicing your shooting from numerous field positions, and different heart rates, or levels of exertion. Now make sure the shot is a high percentage one, like broadside through the shoulders, which will by default take out lungs or heart, or parts of both. Then let it die if it stays put, and keep firing if it decides to stagger off till it stops moving!! Pass on a low percentage shot, it is not worth your life, or your hunting partners if you wound the SOB and someone dies! So, I guess in summary, yes use a 30-06, specially if you are familiar with it and your ammos ballistics. I would not take a shot at a grizz if it wasn't in the high percentage area for clean shot placement. Good luck out there, be safe so you can continue to ask good questions!! Moosin

Barracuda
05-01-2011, 09:55 PM
wifes useing 168 tsx for her 30-06 grizz and dont feel like it wont be up to the task.

We will have our hounds so it could go sideways with a serving of holy shit but at least the 168tsx is the right choice:mrgreen:

todbartell
05-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Make sure you are sighted in, a 1" group or less at 100yrds is the worst I would take on a Grizz hunt. Make sure you have been practicing your shooting from numerous field positions, and different heart rates, or levels of exertion.

I wouldn't worry too much about tiny groups for bear hunting, usually the shot is at moderate range (50-150 yards) and a rifle grouping 2-3" would be more than sufficient. Pick a good tough bullet that will break bone and practice out to 200 meters. A 3/4" rifle in the hands of a bear fever wildman will do alot worse than a 3" rifle in the hands of a composed hunter. Having the ability to pass on shots until its perfect is the key. I'm sure alot of guys feel the pressure to take a bad shot, as a grizzly is a trophy animal and alot of bragging rights to your hunting buddies. To come home empty handed because you passed on a shot would be terrible, better to blaze away at first glance

:D some of what I wrote is good info, the last bit is a joke :mrgreen:

Ambush
05-01-2011, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about tiny groups for bear hunting, usually the shot is at moderate range (50-150 yards) and a rifle grouping 2-3" would be more than sufficient. Pick a good tough bullet....

That's good news, 'cause I shot three of those Federal Premium TSX's through the Ruger Ultra Light today while scouting and well... Good thing I got a bow for back up.:mrgreen:

todbartell
05-01-2011, 11:00 PM
probably because of all the cobwebs in the bore

Ambush
05-01-2011, 11:03 PM
probably because of all the cobwebs in the bore

Clean bore. Cobwebs on the shooter.

BromBones
05-01-2011, 11:09 PM
:D some of what I wrote is good info, the last bit is a joke :mrgreen:

Nice of you to specify that. :)

Good advice though. I still get butterflies thinking about some of the bears we've had to turn down & never saw again, because the shot wasn't up to standards. All part of the fun.