PDA

View Full Version : Tent or Tent trailer

Fishgutz
04-27-2011, 02:12 PM
I've been bashing around the idea of going with a tent trailer over a tent (wall) and would like to just throw it out to the wise members of HBC to see what you guys and gals have to say.

Thanks for your opions!

PS if anyone out there has a good used inexpensive tent or tent trailer for sale PM me.

frenchbar
04-27-2011, 02:20 PM
I would go with the wall tent...i had an older lionel tent trailer ..always fixing crap that broke ..cables especialy.. canvas eventualy wears out and rips that sort of stuff..plus it ties up packing a utility trailer which you can use for packing gear ..and game out if need be . even a smaller single axle 12 ft travel trailer would be better imo .

muledeercrazy
04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
you can use a wood burning stove in a wall tent, so that is a big plus. I would go with a wall tent myself, actually that is what i did!

Fishgutz
04-27-2011, 02:28 PM
A tent trailer is a little more economical to haul then a travel trailer, and I have questioned the up keep on an old tent trailer. I already own a good 4x8 utility trailer so going with a wall tent and stove set up has is it's ups and downs.

frenchbar
04-27-2011, 02:30 PM
A tent trailer is a little more economical to haul then a travel trailer, and I have questioned the up keep on an old tent trailer. I already own a good 4x8 utility trailer so going with a wall tent and stove set up has is it's ups and downs.

thats true ..once you sleep in a wall tent with the wood stove going you will be glad you got the tent..little more time setting up and taking down ..but well worth it .

dawn2dusk
04-27-2011, 02:34 PM
I look forward to staying in my wall tent each year. It is an experience in itself. Like others said, the woodstove is priceless. Very comfy.

I like to camp of the beaten path set my tent up in some little private quiet spot. It would be hard to tow the tent trailer off road. I like the idea of having an offroad utility trailer instead with a wall tent and gear. I have tried both.

muledeercrazy
04-27-2011, 02:35 PM
thats true ..once you sleep in a wall tent with the wood stove going you will be glad you got the tent..little more time setting up and taking down ..but well worth it .

thats the way i see it. If you only hunt in warm weather and dont really care if you are going to use 5-10 pounds of propane a day keeping your tent trailer warm in really cold conditions, i guess the wood burning stove isnt important :)

The other thing you get is alot more room to move around

hunter1947
04-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Wall tent all the way with a stove going it will keep you nice and warm in the latter part of the fall.

BCBRAD
04-27-2011, 02:41 PM
We use a Glacier Tent from reliable tent out of Billings Montana. Better than the wall tents we have had because of their portablity. The tent , all hard ware,ground sheet, memory foam, two sleeping bags, two chairs, two cots, and two pillows all fit behind the seat of an F-150 supercab. In the box (6.5') goes the stove , a box with 6 big pegs, 8lb hammer,chainsaw, food cooler, 2 rolls of 1/2" rope, axe, shovel,fold up table or 2, pallet of beer,tote full of tackle (slings ,come along , pulley's etc) and there is room left over for a moose, or a couple deer or what ever. On the roof a 16' canoe and a couple paddles.
It sleeps 6 but 4 is super comfortable. easy to set up for an over night or longer.....big time comfort

Fishgutz
04-27-2011, 02:45 PM
The Glacier tent is a great looking rig!! I'd love to get one if I could afford it.

BCBRAD
04-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Wall tent all the way with a stove going it will keep you nice and warm in the latter part of the fall.

Yup,the stove is the best part, nice and quite, warm, dry all your stuff out, women like it...........actually its a chick magnet.

Slee
04-27-2011, 02:57 PM
If your looking at tents don't over look the Cabelas style tents, Alaknak/Big horn.... They are lighter, fast set-up, less maintenance, fully water proof. Some people have had some condinsation problems, but if you keep the vents open/clear, its not a problem. Ive stayed in both canvas and Cabelas tents and the Cabelas wins hands down.

I am able to set up my Cabelas tent by myself in 15min with the wood stove roaring a few mins later. And when I get home, it gets tossed in the closet until next trip. No worries about mildew like canvas....

BCBRAD
04-27-2011, 03:00 PM
If your looking at tents don't over look the Cabelas style tents, Alaknak/Big horn.... They are lighter, fast set-up, less maintenance, fully water proof. Some people have had some condinsation problems, but if you keep the vents open/clear, its not a problem. Ive stayed in both canvas and Cabelas tents and the Cabelas wins hands down.

there is something to be said about the smell of canvas..........YARRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The Hermit
04-27-2011, 03:09 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?65697-Used-Wall-Tent

Have added a window and new stove jack... price $850 plus HST & Shipping.

jonz
04-27-2011, 05:44 PM
I used my tent trailer for a year, better than a tent and it had a heater in it. Sold it though and went to a small, lightweight travel trailer. Way less work to setup/takedown. Less maintenance. More weather and cold resistant. This way we are more mobile and can quickly move campsites.

Bisonfirst
04-27-2011, 07:08 PM
I used my tent trailer for a year, better than a tent and it had a heater in it. Sold it though and went to a small, lightweight travel trailer. Way less work to setup/takedown. Less maintenance. More weather and cold resistant. This way we are more mobile and can quickly move campsites.

Really?! I'll bet that fancy trailer handles the rough roads really well, and the propane heat gets your gear bone dry too!

Go with a wall tent.

Deaddog
04-27-2011, 07:24 PM
wall tent all the way

270WIN
04-27-2011, 07:30 PM
i have done both tent trailer and wall tent. tent trailer you got insurence, maintaince. propane. have to worry about mildew. for some reason there always somthing in the back of the trailer on the floor that you need and the trailer is down. it is wall tent all the way.

mcrae
04-27-2011, 07:59 PM
i have done both tent trailer and wall tent. tent trailer you got insurence, maintaince. propane. have to worry about mildew. for some reason there always somthing in the back of the trailer on the floor that you need and the trailer is down. it is wall tent all the way.

What he said LOL...

Did the tent trailer for two years its gone and I am back to my Alaknak and wall tents.

IslandHunterBXL
04-27-2011, 08:09 PM
We have used one of those 10x20' steel frame shelters from costco for the last 5 years. They work great. Can get them for 180$ on sale. We have 4 cots set up with our personal gear in totes underneath, 2 on each side, and a wood stove at the back. Usually add a small extension out the front for a kitchen area (if there is only 2 in your party there is plenty of cookin room inside). Once you have set them up a couple times, 2 guys can put one up in half hour. Tip though, if you put a wodstove in, run the chimney straight up through the hole you cut in the tarp (with tin flange around it),and not a elbow pipe out the back wall. Straight chimney had no problem at all with smoke drafting back into the tent.

uraarchr
04-27-2011, 09:40 PM
wall tent is really good if you hit wet weather.In '08 went hunting reg-6 north and were wet every day.evening hunt clothing would dry overnight and morning hunt clothing would dry during the day.Would've been a very wet 10 day hunt without the wall tent and wood stove.

BCfishguy
04-27-2011, 10:09 PM
I love my tent trailer. Warm, dry, and easy to set up (<15 min). Plus, the family loves it for camping in the summer.

hunter1947
04-28-2011, 02:01 AM
Don't get me wrong a tent trailer is good if your going in the early part of the season will work very good for you ,but when it is cold below the minus marks rain mixed snow etc nothing will beat the wall tent and stove set up.

Last year I was staying in my 10 foot camper in -20 temp believe me it was no fun even when the furnace came on the temperature was well below the freezing mark below the table ,so thats why I got a new wall tent I will be warm this fall when the temp gets well below the -20 temperature..

BCBRAD
04-28-2011, 07:04 AM
we went through the travel trailer thing a long time ago, they are nothing but a pain in the butt in the bush. the trick to tents is you have to be organized in your stowage of gear and what food you bring. The "hippy killer' stoves are light and work well, get two stainless pails from the man store and you have lots of hot water for washing and showering. wife comes with me , she ain't going unless its comfortable, so in the glacier tent their is hot water, heat, electricity. So get this, the alarm rings, its 4:30 am you get up make coffee, start the generator, make breakfast, get a shower and she blow dries her hair, get dressed, feel like a human should , ready for the day. doesn't get any better than that. once you get organized with the tents you will never go back to tent trailers ,travel trailers again.

eaglesj
04-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Only one question... How do you get your quads out there if you are pulling a tent trailer? My dad acquired an old camper for the back of the truck. Everything stays in it, and everything is ready when you get there. My wife loves it. Wall tents would be cool too, but you have to set up and take down which is a pain when you do a bunch of weekend trips.

finngun
04-29-2011, 11:05 AM
why not ubgrade little bit and get older pull trailer-- 18 footer etc.. lot more comfy..than tent or tent trailer around 2000 buck get reasn. good with heater, light, fridge
yes more gas to pull...but well worth it....espec, later fall when cold snowy...

slowkey
04-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Last season used both. The tent trailer had the furnace which we cranked up an hour or two before bed time and the wall tent we used as a dry room/living room. Of course we had two trucks to haul everything.

My only pet peeve with the wall tent is getting the stove to go all night. Really depends on what wood you use and how you dampen down the stove (almost a darn art). There is nothing worse than waking up to a cold stove and you have to pee first (because first guy up starts the fire)

BCBRAD
04-29-2011, 12:06 PM
A a few beers at bedtime and it is no problem keeping th stove going all night

dawn2dusk
04-29-2011, 02:58 PM
A a few beers at bedtime and it is no problem keeping th stove going all night

ha amen to that! been there.

.300WSMImpact!
04-29-2011, 06:31 PM
I use a tent trailer, 10lbs of propane lasted 4 nights running full time and it was nice and warm, and there is a full queen size bed built in, no sleeping on the ground real nice for the back after an 8 hour hike, if you take care of it they last a long time

yamadirt 426
04-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Almost every yard out here in langley has those 12x whatever storage sheds with the tarps ripped up. Go offer them a few bucks for the frame. Princess auto sells a 12oz 24x16 canvas for $240 and a couple 10 x whatever end pieces for $60. They also carry a stove for $100. works great. Or spend some more money on a professional one. either way get the wall tent.

Steeleco
04-30-2011, 08:31 AM
I wanted a wall tent to get the family out in the woods a few years back. After much discussion, I LOST !!! We ended up with a combination of both tent trailer and wall tent.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/My%20pictures/IMG_3483.jpg

I love it, it cost a bunch more than a wall tent, but I'm glad we went this route.

Elkhound
04-30-2011, 08:31 AM
I want a Trailmanor

http://www.trailmanor.com/

They are awesome. The price tag sucks. But I have seen them used from 5 grand up

BCBear
04-30-2011, 08:45 AM
King of tent trailers without the tent. I like the 2619 bet it would fit right in the garage for easy storage when not in use. Less possiblilty of damage if going in and out of some of those overgrown fsrs too.

Elkhound
04-30-2011, 08:47 AM
King of tent trailers without the tent. I like the 2619 bet it would fit right in the garage for easy storage when not in use. Less possiblilty of damage if going in and out of some of those overgrown fsrs too.

yup .....super light.....folds out in less than 4mins Lots of youtube videos on them in action

gibson
05-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Tent....Our whole camp gets packed into an 18 foot Lund and an 18 foot freighter for an hour boat ride up to Moose country....

Can't wait to get back there every year.....

harbinger
05-01-2011, 08:30 AM
you really do need both. Get the tent trailer to keep your wife happy, then the next year get the wall tent for hunting.

Barracuda
05-01-2011, 09:25 AM
there used to be a hard sided tent trailer called an apache which were pretty neat.
Personally i hate setting and takeing down wall tents and i cant stand smoke smell so a good stove and draw is needed. they are nice if all you have to do is walk in and use it,

if running right they are great but i would still prefer a trailer or camper over any tent.

Big Lew
05-01-2011, 10:57 AM
I've owned and used all manner and type of tents from very light nylon 2 -man for long distance bicycle touring, up to canvas wall tents. I hate using tents! That's not to say they don't do the job, especially canvas wall tents, which, once set up can be very comfortable. My hatred stems from battling mosquitoes, rain, etc. while clearing, leveling, trenching, and setting them up, and then taking them down, and not being able to store and cook food in them for fear of bears. And yes, I've done it a lot, and will do it a lot more if my health allows, especially if I intend to stay in one place for more than a night during mosquito season, and I can't get in with a trailer or tent trailer. Yup, now that I'm retired, I'm looking into getting one of those "off-road" tent trailers (my biggest concern though, is cooking in one in bear country) p.s.--for those of you that only camp late in the season, after bug season, wall tents with a good stove are the way to go.

skibum
05-01-2011, 01:36 PM
wow, this guys got it good, Funny how you can imagine sh!t before you finish reading the story

............... So get this, the alarm rings, its 4:30 am you get up make coffee, start the generator, make breakfast, get a shower and she blow ..........dries her hair, .

damn

farside
05-02-2011, 08:41 PM
I just sold my old tent trailer and will get another. I like those off road ones they sell Aussie type. Could put a wood stove in that I bet

Big Lew
05-02-2011, 09:38 PM
A Fellow in the neighborhood has an off-road tent trailer similar to "Steelco's" and loves it....no way he will consider selling it.

sneg
05-04-2011, 10:07 PM
On longer trips we use travel trailers and campers. All gear ,ATV ,freezers and etc goes to cargo trailer and truck bed. We use wall tent with wood stove for dinning and drying area. On some short trips we take families and kids. They sleep in normal bed and you do not worry about burning stove or carbone monoxide. There is no substitute for quite ,warm sleep in trailer. Last February we stopped for night at Pine pass in complete wite out conditions close to -30C. It took 5 min to set up. I do not think you can do it with wall tent. Agree travel trailer is not so good for offroad. For that case I use truck camper with small cargo trailer and ATV on it. I would suggest to think about terrain and conditions you likely to hunt in and than decide what to take.

deerstocker
05-05-2011, 02:18 PM
i have the fleetwood off road tent trailer and love it --opens to 26 feet long -- in -13 the temp inside stayed at + 10 allnight -- if u r going to use a tent trailer for hunting u need big tires at least 15" --- thats what i found --- good luck

Fishgutz
05-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Anything trailer wise I end up getting will have or get soon get a 15 inch wheel up grade and even a little lift.

yamadirt 426
05-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Please PM the details or post your item in the off topic section. Thx

Fishgutz
05-06-2011, 10:39 AM
What details are you looking for?