PDA

View Full Version : Vane choice for hunting?

allan
04-26-2011, 09:12 PM
What type of Vanes do you use for hunting?
I've ordered new arrows, x-weave 400's and they did not come with vanes.
I plan on shooting using in a QAD drop Away, 32" draw lentgh, and 70lb draw weight. 100 or 125gr slick tricks.
Thanks

Bowzone_Mikey
04-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Blazer Vanes will do you well ...
I like em anyway

satalite bull
04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
i have been shooting zeon fusions this year 2" they are very bright no need for a lighted nock as there is fiber optic in the fletch 7gpi and they fly better than the blazer that i used last year. also the glue channel is bigger and easy to attach to smaller shafts

ThinAir
04-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Just picked up some of those new fusions as well.... they look cool:)

Bow Walker
04-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Your setup shpuld push your hunting arrows along pretty fast. You'd do well to get a higher profile fletch like the Blazers - or any vane that is 1/2 inch high, shorter in length, and fairly stiff.

My setup pushes arrows out at about 260 fps and I use Blazers. I've fletch shafts for guys that shoot better than 310 fps (using Blazers) and they all like the results. Plus, the Blazers are only 6 grains per fletch, which is pretty light as vanes go.

satalite bull
04-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Just picked up some of those new fusions as well.... they look cool:)

very cool i have found that if you keep all three the same color then its very bright and easy to track after the shot during youre follow thru

Ike
04-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I have some arrows with 4" Duravanes and some with Blazers, they both seem to stabilize and shoot just as well with field points and broadheads.

I am in the process of refletching all of them the (offset) Blazers.....it's a PITA getting the old glue and vanes off the shaft though.

Cheers

Bow Walker
04-27-2011, 10:39 AM
I have some arrows with 4" Duravanes and some with Blazers, they both seem to stabilize and shoot just as well with field points and broadheads.

I am in the process of refletching all of them the (offset) Blazers.....it's a PITA getting the old glue and vanes off the shaft though.

Cheers

You need a vane/glue removal tool like this one...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Zip-Strip_by_Norway.jpg

One thing that I don't like about Blazers is that it is very hard to get any sort of helical on such a short (2") vane. So yeah, offset is the only other option.

huntwriter
04-27-2011, 04:51 PM
For me it's feathers all the way on my hunting arrows. I found feathers to be much more forgiving than plastic vanes.

greybark
04-27-2011, 07:51 PM
At particularly high speeds and depending on feather design , they can be surprisingly noisy during flight .

Bow Walker
04-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Feathers are forgiving.....just not too durable, nor quiet - as has been pointed out. Each to his/her own.

The Hermit
04-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Take a look at VaneTech vanes too. I'm using 2" high profile vanes on my Darkhorse Square-Weave hunting arrows which are quite heavy and 1 1/2" high profiles on the lighter Darkhorse Square-Weave target arrows. They are pretty slick and quiet!

Slugman
04-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Unlike the Blazers the Vane Tec vanes take a helical very well. They also have a slightly more streamline profile compare to the Blazers which avoids the clearance issues Blazers have with some bows cables.The VT-1000 glue designed for their vanes is pretty much a bomb proof bond! Hey Bill dont be mixing up the Darkhorse Studs with 'X-Weave' thats inferior PSE arrows! LOL! Square Weave is where its at!

The Hermit
04-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Yeah true they are 90 degrees different! :-) You won't believe how nice the 400's fly with feathers from my longbow!! Whoo whooo!

Slugman
04-29-2011, 06:44 AM
Sweet glad to hear it, nice to have the feed back on trad gear!

xtremearchery
05-24-2011, 11:42 AM
2" Blazers for me!

Bow Walker
05-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Last year Bohning addressed the issue of trying to get a decent helical on their short 2" vanes by coming out with a specially made clamp for their fletching jig.

Good for them.

I still like to use an offset of about 2 or 3 degrees when I fletch up my shafts.

xtremearchery
05-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Last year Bohning addressed the issue of trying to get a decent helical on their short 2" vanes by coming out with a specially made clamp for their fletching jig.

Good for them.

I still like to use an offset of about 2 or 3 degrees when I fletch up my shafts.
Hey Bow Walker,

I use the Jo-Jan 6 arrow multi fletcher in a L/H helical. Works fantastic! And man what a difference it makes with the performance of the 2" Blazer. All my Victory shafts are true Blazer supporters. They throw my broadheads and field points like darts out to 70 yards.

Bow Walker
05-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I've got one of the Jo-Jan 6's myself - and the Blazers work perfect on my Gold Tip shafts. Been doing it this way for a number of years now, after I saw how the helical clamps just couldn't bend the short little vane. But I love the Blazer vanes. Tough as nails too.