PDA

View Full Version : how do you carry your Bow?

pse&remington
04-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Im new to archery this year and though i have spent countless hours practicing and feel quite comfortable with my shooting, I am curious as to how most out there carry their bow in the field?

MidnightRun
04-26-2011, 04:17 PM
By the grip or the string when walking, hanging from my bino case when glassing. Strapped to my pack if the terrain requires both hands free.

urbanhermit
04-26-2011, 04:21 PM
clenched in my butt cheeks, keeps me on the edge and alert.
and sometimes i just carry but they get awkward and a bit heavy, or in my pack scabbard.
look into bow slings..

tomahawk
04-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Switch from left to right hands mostly on the grip but sometimes change it up to by the string. After all that practising and pulling your draw weight you'll handle it no problem, just try and concentrate on your surroundings and not the weight of the bow.

pse&remington
04-26-2011, 04:52 PM
I was curious as to weather or not you use your bow slings until you are in a stalking situation, or do you assume that always be ready and just do as explained previously

deeks1989
04-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Primos Bow sling....no different then carrying a rifle on the sling other then weight...

huntwriter
04-26-2011, 05:22 PM
When I walk to my stand I carry the bow on a sling over the shoulder, just like a gun. On the stand the bow hangs on a hook or stands in a treestand bracket until it is time to pick it up to shoot. I like to have my hands free.

knockturnal
04-26-2011, 05:38 PM
bow sling all the way. if you are walking a lot but dont have a pack on, bow slings are awesome.

urbanhermit
04-26-2011, 05:39 PM
When I walk to my stand I carry the bow on a sling over the shoulder, just like a gun. On the stand the bow hangs on a hook or stands in a treestand bracket until it is time to pick it up to shoot. I like to have my hands free.

theres a joke in there somewhere Othmar. Glad you mentioned the bow hanger while in the stand, keep it clear of all other gear!

huntwriter
04-26-2011, 07:21 PM
theres a joke in there somewhere Othmar. Glad you mentioned the bow hanger while in the stand, keep it clear of all other gear!

No joke. I like to keep my hands free because as I always approach my stands in a spot and stalk method and always use my binoculars to check out my surroundings. Of course it's handy to when I've to take a piss. :)

urbanhermit
04-26-2011, 09:58 PM
No joke. I like to keep my hands free because as I always approach my stands in a spot and stalk method and always use my binoculars to check out my surroundings. Of course it's handy to when I've to take a piss. :)
indeed, one of the top 5 pleasurable wilderness experiences :)

Kody94
04-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Primos Bow sling....no different then carrying a rifle on the sling other then weight...

Ditto. They rock.

pse&remington
04-26-2011, 10:25 PM
well thanks you all gave me the answers and tips i was looking for thanks

Bow Walker
04-27-2011, 10:10 AM
There's a few ways of carrying bows...

Primos bow sling, Vista Bow Tote (sling), different types of bet hooks, back back typs, and so on.

Personally, I prefer the Bow Tote by Vista. Over the shoulder sling that secures the bow nicely, hanging down by your hip, yet very fast to deploy. I hunt with a bow-mounted quiver and even that doesn't get in the way.

Here's a pic from the internet....
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Bow_Sling_by_Vista.jpg

satalite bull
04-27-2011, 10:13 AM
get yourself a sherpa like i did he will pack anything :mrgreen:

Lil Bow Pete
04-27-2011, 09:39 PM
When I am marching and not hunting I will stick my arm between the string and the bow and put it over my shoulder. Put it horizontal and hold it to my body with my arm, if I'm in the bush or just let it hang vertical if I'm walking down a trail. Works good with recurve or longbow. String on shoulder not bow.