PDA

View Full Version : Im looking for a good pair of GATORS

pse&remington
04-26-2011, 03:44 PM
wondering what kind of gators you all wear as I am looking to purchase some this year and wana know what you like or dislike about what you have.

Alpine85
04-26-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm on my second pair of OR ones. First ones lasted a few seasons then I broke the buckle. I didn't realize they had a warranty so I ended up buying a new pair. I recently ripped a hole in my new ones but i highly doubt the warranty will cover that.

Everett
04-26-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm on my second pair of OR ones. First ones lasted a few seasons then I broke the buckle. I didn't realize they had a warranty so I ended up buying a new pair. I recently ripped a hole in my new ones but i highly doubt the warranty will cover that.

You would be suprised what they will cover mail both pairs back with a simple polite note.
I prefer MEC gaiters myself I have one pair that are 15 years old and have around 1000 days on them. They are just spares now but still work.

Tenacious Billy
04-26-2011, 04:59 PM
I have some from Outdoor Research.....love them.

Mik
04-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but, I have seen a lot of people that wear Gators, especially when sheep hunting. My question is, do you really need them? or do they help that much? is it just to keep the morning dew off your pants? thanks.

digger dogger
04-26-2011, 05:32 PM
I have a pair of Tazmanian Tiger gators, I got them from the hunting show @ the Tradex a few years ago. I like them, but they are the only ones I've used, so I have had nothing to compare them to.
(Mik) I use them to keep snow outta my boots when chasing cats. I've used them for sheep hunting once but don't bother bringing them.

killman
04-26-2011, 06:25 PM
What are most made of? Are they not noisy? Don't mean to high jack but maybe a brief description of yours will help.

Thanks.

SR80
04-26-2011, 06:38 PM
they work great for snow and water out, and keep your boots/pants dry. I really like wearing them, the only thing i dont like is how your pants bunch all up above your knees. Anyone have a fix for that?

Krico
04-26-2011, 06:45 PM
OR Crocs. 'Nuff said.

Blacktail 270
04-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Outdoor Research, OR, are great but the biggest thing to find is that they are made out of goretex. They have to breath, or you will have wet pants and boots.

swampthing
04-26-2011, 07:04 PM
I run Kenetrek gators. They help in creek crossings and in the snow. If you have a lot of devils club to wade through they help there too. For the price of a pair they are good to have.

wsquared
04-26-2011, 07:13 PM
i also use Kenetrek, the camo hunting model has a quiet finish on the outside.Well made and worth the money

Rattler
04-26-2011, 07:40 PM
i also use Kenetrek, the camo hunting model has a quiet finish on the outside.Well made and worth the money

X2 on the above...Getting quiet ones is key because I own Gortex MEC gators and they are very loud and as a result I won't wear them for late season deer hunting.

BromBones
04-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but, I have seen a lot of people that wear Gators, especially when sheep hunting. My question is, do you really need them? or do they help that much? is it just to keep the morning dew off your pants? thanks.

I've taken mine along on sheep hunts but find they stay in the pack more than they get worn. Awesome for spring bear hunts and winter hunting/trapline though. My OR ones give quite a bit of coverage over my boots which protects the leather somewhat.

pse&remington
04-26-2011, 10:34 PM
was just looking at the OR gators they look nice but I could see where they may be noisy http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/m_s_crocodiles.html

the kenetrek look nice too,
http://www.kenetrek.com/gaiters.asp

will have to try and find them in the lower mainland and see in person, thanks for all your ideas

Tenacious Billy
04-26-2011, 11:07 PM
I've taken mine along on sheep hunts but find they stay in the pack more than they get worn. Awesome for spring bear hunts and winter hunting/trapline though. My OR ones give quite a bit of coverage over my boots which protects the leather somewhat.

Agreed.....I like them when I'm bombing up through devils club and buck-brush....otherwise, they're typically stuffed in my pack. If noise is a concern, take them off......anything that's truly waterproof is going to make a bit of noise when compared to things like fleece or wool.

greenhorn
04-26-2011, 11:15 PM
I wear a pair of cheap gators when hiking through really thick stuff and bushwhacking. I find that they work well to keep junk from getting in the tops of my boots..... I hate it when a little twig works it way into the boot!! I waterproof mine alot with spray proofer. It helps keep legs dry in dew, rain, snow....

The only think I'd look for in a new pair is a real sturdy strap system. My gators straps were pretty flimsy and I wore through the strap that cinches the gator down on the boot pretty quick.

TSW
04-26-2011, 11:47 PM
The first pair I bought were Asolo...they cost about $40 and lasted about 2 seasons. Then I got a pair of CMS (coast mountain sports) brand gaiters ($60?)and they are absolutely bomb proof. I have worn them on lots of mountain hunts and they are almost like new. One thing to make sure of is that the strap that goes under your boot isn't made of sewn material...it should be leather or something similar. My Asolo's had the material strap and they would collect snow and create big snow balls which is incredibly frustrating!!

bigwhiteys
04-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but, I have seen a lot of people that wear Gators, especially when sheep hunting. My question is, do you really need them? or do they help that much? is it just to keep the morning dew off your pants? thanks

For sure they make a difference... I have a set of MEC Goretex gators that have lasted 7 years now... The last few hunts have been in really rocky country and the heel strap has a huge chunk out of it from some sharp shale, and they need to be replaced this year.

They keep your legs dry and add a layer of protection when busting brush and climbing shale.

They help keep your legs warm.

They protect the upper of your boot if you have hightops.

They come in handy for a waterproof layer to sit on when glassing or changing socks.

They work great for creek crossings (provided you can be quick!)

During rain storms using gators I find works better than rain pants most the time, as only a small section of your thigh gets wet (if you have a rain jacket on), without the hassle of putting on rain pants and worrying about breathability.

Carl

BlacktailStalker
04-27-2011, 08:24 AM
I originally had a pair of riverswest gators that worked well but now have the Outdoor Research Crocs, they're about $100 but better than the RW.

TSW
04-27-2011, 08:56 AM
One other small detail to look for that's nice is the little hook on the front that hooks onto your laces to keep them in place. Lots (most?) have a hook that comes down over top of the laces but some have the hook that comes up from underneath the laces...the latter one is WAY better imo. My hooks go under the laces and have never come off once, whereas my last pair had the over hook and were undone very often. Minor, but something to keep in mind.

Sitkaspruce
04-27-2011, 08:59 AM
X2 on the above...Getting quiet ones is key because I own Gortex MEC gators and they are very loud and as a result I won't wear them for late season deer hunting.

X3 for the Kenetrek.

Sierra Trading post usually has them on sale.

Best gaiter I have worn.

Cheers

SS

snareman1234
04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
I have a pair of the OR verglas gaitors....when I hike in dry weather with them, when I get home, the only wet part on my body id under my gaitors...they dont breathe at all.

springpin
04-27-2011, 05:27 PM
OR Crocs, are the only ones to use.

BromBones
04-27-2011, 07:45 PM
. If noise is a concern, take them off......anything that's truly waterproof is going to make a bit of noise when compared to things like fleece or wool.

My last pair of OR's, which have long been shredded, I had a gal stitch some fleece wrap-arounds on them, from an old grey fleece jacket that the sleeves were worn out on. Very warm for early season hunts, but worked great in cold weather and were quiet in the brush.