PDA

View Full Version : MR packs and Nikwax?

Slee
04-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Has anyone treated their MR packs with Nikwax waterproofing or any other type of DWR? Is it worth doing? Thanks...

snareman1234
04-26-2011, 08:39 AM
I have some Revivex I was thinking of spraying on it...glad you asked...look forward to hearing some ideas

I bought an OR pack cover for it, so not too worried about rain now though.

bigwhiteys
04-26-2011, 08:43 AM
ReviveX has to be run through the dryer does it not??? I will just continue using my sil-coat pack cover. With the pack fully loaded (6500) it covers all of it and will still stretch enough to fit over my rifle as well (strapped to side of pack). If it was such a good idea the gang at MR would probably suggest it, or even treat the packs themselves you should ask them directly.

Carl

Slee
04-26-2011, 08:46 AM
I just have a MR Dragon Slayer and don't use a pack cover with it..... I figured spraying it down with nikwax might keep it from getting saturated with water. Ive never used nikwax, so I don't know how well it works.....

snareman1234
04-26-2011, 09:44 AM
ReviveX has to be run through the dryer does it not??? I will just continue using my sil-coat pack cover. With the pack fully loaded (6500) it covers all of it and will still stretch enough to fit over my rifle as well (strapped to side of pack). If it was such a good idea the gang at MR would probably suggest it, or even treat the packs themselves you should ask them directly.

Carl

10-4 on that...might not work too well I guess.. Probably just stick with the pack cover

Devilbear
04-26-2011, 10:46 AM
I have talked packs with many Dana Design and MR staffers for 30+ years and used many of their products. They will tell you to wash your pack in warm water and soap, I like to use "Woolite" liquid in my spare bathtub, then Mirazyme and air dry them, works superbly.

Use silny. stuff sacks to keep your pack contents dry and do not spray ANYTHING on or inside your MR or use a packcover of coated material, this can cause mold that WILL ruin your pack...don't ask......

snareman1234
04-26-2011, 12:10 PM
I have talked packs with many Dana Design and MR staffers for 30+ years and used many of their products. They will tell you to wash your pack in warm water and soap, I like to use "Woolite" liquid in my spare bathtub, then Mirazyme and air dry them, works superbly.

Use silny. stuff sacks to keep your pack contents dry and do not spray ANYTHING on or inside your MR or use a packcover of coated material, this can cause mold that WILL ruin your pack...don't ask......

Not to hijack the thread...but I have this
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/lightweight_pack_cover.html

It is a coated material...it will cause mold?

bigwhiteys
04-26-2011, 12:14 PM
I am using an ID pack cover made of silcoat nylon. No mold problems...

Carl

Coming_out_heavy.
04-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Pack covers!!!! Don't waste your time spraying shit on your pack. A few days of rain, stomping through wet buck brush, and your spray job is gone. Your pack just gained 10 pounds.

bruin
04-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Agreed, I have an OR pack cover thats big enough to use as an umbrellla when it really starts to pour! The last thing you want is a wet pack and wet stuff. I also have my sleeping bag and clothes stuff sacks in garbage bags (ultralight and multipurpose!)

Slee
04-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys, but im not talking about a multi day pack..... I have an OR rain cover for my big pack and would not go out without it, I am just wondering about coating my day pack (MR Dragon Slayer) with nikwax to keep it from getting drenched with water durring day hunts or placing it down on the snow for an hour or so. Would nikwax keep it from absorbing moisture?