PDA

View Full Version : Kids gear

CRS
04-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Took the boy out in the marsh for a look and see trip yesterday. Trolled around and managed to hook 1 bass, but it flipped off. We were only out for a couple hours, and he never once complained, but was freezing by the the time we were done! I've got him Under armour long johns, (Value Village score) that are a bit too big, but they work and he'll grow through them by end of season. He has regular rubber boots, but b/c their feet grow so fast, getting him waders seems like a waste of money, which brings me to my "problem / question". What do you guys do with equipment for your kids? Buy it too big to get a couple years out of it and it's too awkward, or get it too fit and only get one season out of it! I've searched for used gear and can't find it. We get lucky at VV every now and then, but for descent things like boots, waders, etc. I'm stumped.

fuzzy
04-26-2011, 07:50 PM
I remember when i was a kid i had a pair of normal gumboots that were really big and i had 3 insoles in em, on the bottom a pair of felt ones in the middle a pair from an old set of runners and on top of that another pair of felt insoles. The runner insole in the middle helped to keep the boots from being to unstable. They were comfortable and warm and lasted a long time between my bro and i. I still smile when i see a pic of me in em with gramps riding in the boat.

fuzzy

Krico
04-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Kids gear? Nothing fancy-just budle them up and don't forget to bring lots of snacks and drinks (warm ones if it's cold out). I take my kids out all year long, including icefishing in blizzards at -20C. Keeping kids warm while sitting still in a boat is a bit tougher than if they're moving, but you don't need to outfit them in UnderArmour and Western Mountaineering gear.

stwguy
07-26-2011, 09:21 PM
I was looking for waders for my grand kids and not wanting to spend the money but a good pair of boots and a piar of pants cost the same as the waders I found for my grand kid on www.ruggedoutdoorkids.ca (http://www.ruggedoutdoorkids.ca)