PDA

View Full Version : sheridan lake fishing tips

kamloops killer
04-25-2011, 09:19 PM
I am planning a fishing trip to sheridan lake this summer its all brothers and brother inlaws this will be a great time. The nephews will also be there it keeps getting better. I haven't fished the Carboo in years. Now I was wondering what kind of tackle to use, they will be trolling so would you use a willow leaf or a ford fender wedding ring with a worm ?? .
I hope to here from you.

Thankyou Doug

hillclimber
04-25-2011, 09:24 PM
your on the right track just not super hot yet:mrgreen: when are you planning on going? and where do you plan on fishing? feel free to PM me and i'll get you on the right path.

Cheers
Stefan

kamloops killer
04-25-2011, 09:38 PM
We will be staying at Sheridan lake resort
We plan on going July 10th to the 15th
where we plan on fishing ?? on the lake (ha ha smart a$$ hay) I have know idea. I have never fished there before.I know the lake will probley be warm so I would have to go deep right so this is all the info I got

martyonthewater
04-25-2011, 10:33 PM
100 yds dacron backing in 20 lb test, 50 yds leadcore line, swivel, 100 ft 6lb test, bait clip, lyman plug. The resort office will have any number of proven plugs and tackle to help part you from your $$$.

srupp
04-26-2011, 09:24 AM
hmmm good advice given by martyonthe water...the lines must always be fresh and not nicked..or frayed....SLOW is the key to this lake use a fairly limber rod..hooks ..even new in package with lure must be touched up...sticky sharp...use a sonar unit to find the benches and go WITH the benches till you find which area which bench they are at...

Flyfishing with sinking lines and long leaders to chronomid fish works welll as does leeches..

good area??along the entire length of the ISLAND pays special attention to your turn at the left....

the bays far down to the right in amongst the weed beds with flies...a lot of guys fish from 11 PM ..NIGHT during july-august

http://www.sheridanlakeresort.com/new/fame2010/stevenruff.jpg

this was the BIGGEST rainbow caught in Sheridan lake in 2010 ......and it was a blast....because of my size you cant really see how thick and deep he is......

11 lbs 3 oz

cheers

Steven

we should be there last week of may for first of 2 trips this year..

srupp
04-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Doug the hardware is occasionally used for much smaller trout..ie ford fenders willow leafs..I would not be using em...

steven

kamloops killer
04-26-2011, 12:39 PM
thanks guys I will let all the others know
Doug

kuva
04-26-2011, 12:45 PM
I do a bit a fishing at Deka which is right beside sheridan. I find to get the kokanee pick a cloudy cool day with a ford fender and wedding band will do the trick. If the band doesnt work try worms. If its hot you will need a finder and some depth.

natebavis
05-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Agreed with srupp...Ialways have done 50-70' of leader with 20 pulls of sinking line...seemed to work well in front of loon bay resort, between the main and little island.

SimilkameenSlayer
05-03-2011, 06:40 PM
lots of big bows that are extremely well fed with shrimp ... take your bobber setup and fish chironomids.

btw, i hope you have LOTS of patience. :mrgreen:

Little Red Man
05-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Agree with the patience thing!...Have been there several times....had luck in the bays around the island with a micro leech in sparkle green under an indicator....and also had luck with one of my favorite under water river flys, the pheasant tail nymph. That was before I had much info around chironomids (most of my fly fishing was moving water, not still). Fished both trolling long line with tons of really clear leader and under an indicator in the bays; definitely had more luck with the fly and indicator.

Caught my biggest rainbow so far there; it took 4 days of flogging the water in every sense of the word, and finally hooked up with a 6 1/4 lbs beauty....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=23563&title=sheridan-lake-6-25-pounder&cat=500

srupp
05-07-2011, 08:07 AM
If I only had ONE FLY to use on Sherridan it would be apurple leech with a gold bead head...just barely moving ..rowing works well for me with this fly..over the DEEP water..

the chronies black with silver..hang it STRAIGHT down and let it sit 12 " offf the bottom..go out to the EDGE of the drop off between the sunken Island and the BIG ISLAND..right on the steep drop off..snap a pair of HAEMOSTATS ON THE FLY LINE..DROP IT TO THE BOTTOM..MARK THAT PLACE ON YOUR LINE..THEN PULL UP THE HAEMOSTATS AND NOW YOU KNOW TO BE 12" LESS THAN THAT USE SINKING LINE..TOSS IT OUT AND SIT...

shallower chronie say 12' use floating line and long leader...

cheers
Steven

mountainman
05-07-2011, 09:39 PM
So where was my invite for that trip Steve??

Listen to Steve he knows how to catch the big ones! I've seen it first hand myself!!!

steelheadSABO
05-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I green Apex lure trolled behind a ford fender will catchem good

GoatGuy
05-07-2011, 10:24 PM
If I only had ONE FLY to use on Sherridan it would be apurple leech with a gold bead head...just barely moving ..rowing works well for me with this fly..over the DEEP water..

the chronies black with silver..hang it STRAIGHT down and let it sit 12 " offf the bottom..go out to the EDGE of the drop off between the sunken Island and the BIG ISLAND..right on the steep drop off..snap a pair of HAEMOSTATS ON THE FLY LINE..DROP IT TO THE BOTTOM..MARK THAT PLACE ON YOUR LINE..THEN PULL UP THE HAEMOSTATS AND NOW YOU KNOW TO BE 12" LESS THAN THAT USE SINKING LINE..TOSS IT OUT AND SIT...

shallower chronie say 12' use floating line and long leader...

cheers
Steven

These are good tips. Early spring we've had great days in less than 6' of water, sometimes you get into fish well over 20' of water. Just depends on where the bugs and the fish are.

If it's slow pick-up and move. Don't forget the pump.

srupp
05-08-2011, 07:43 AM
true enough depends on the water temp wind and turn over...early in spring prior to warmth and winds and the turnover fish are in incredibly sallow water..

Hi mOUNTAINMAN.....ther is always room around our campfire...gonna make 2 Sherridan lake trips..and one Forrest lake maybe w Forrest lake trips..either lake is KILLER for BOWS..

So being Mothers day...did Lynelle give ya room for a week in Terrace????of course you asked AFTER spoiling her some more......

cheers

Steven

SimilkameenSlayer
05-11-2011, 11:22 AM
the venerable RED doc spratley, has in the past produced good results on Sheridan lake for me.

srupp
05-11-2011, 11:37 AM
hmmm red spratley..will mark that gem down for trial this year.....

cheers
Steven

4pointer91
07-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Just got back from a successful trip to Sheridan lake and would agree with the comments previously made. Work the ledges and have a few goto flies available, sledges worked great for us one day ...the next not so good. There is a lot of feed on the lake this time of year which makes things interesting!

Fishhound
07-09-2012, 08:01 AM
I would love to be there when all of you experts are there, seriously, I fished once years ago caught a few small fish but know there are big rainbows to be caught there

Maybe, hbc could hold a fishing derby there