PDA

View Full Version : Product Report: ZurTro Spoons

IronNoggin
04-25-2011, 12:29 PM
HiYa Folks,

Just back in off the Briney (due to yet more complete BS on the part of The Dino http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif ) and want to share some good intel.

We wandered up and worked the area around Esperanza for springs over the course of the last week. From the stomach contents witnessed in a couple hundred "volunteers" it was quickly determined that the menu of choice for the springs was completely focused on krill. NO evidence of herring or any other baitfish was seen in the tummies nor the sounder despite exhaustive searches.

Despite that fact, I was itching to try out a new spoon from ZurTro that really appealed to my somewhat discerning eye, as I was anxious to see if the fish found it as appealing as I did. So, I ran one of their 5 1/2 inch "Rosco" spoons as a test. Here is a picture of the spoon I am referring to:

Resized to 94% (was 1000 x 667) - Click image to enlargehttp://www.zurtrolures.ca/rapidcart-3/files/57_512_Rosco.jpg

I am very pleased to report that this new design is an Absolute KILLER! Despite no baitfish presence, the springs WELL indicated that they very much thought this little offering was definitely on the "Hit List"! Over the 4 or 5 days we fished, it was responsible for an awesome number of hook-ups, and managed to land the best sized fish we encountered! Yup, 30 plus pounds of rolling anger in APRIL!! Awesome! http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/bowdown%5B1%5D.gif

I am so impressed with this design that I am immediately ordering several dozen of this particular pattern for both commercial and eventually sporting applications. Given it's horrendously great success when there was no bait presence, I am extremely confident it will SHINE extremely well when those do make their appearance this year!

Not all that often I stumble across a terminal that works as well as this one does! Thought I would share this valuable information for those who ply the chuck. Methinks those that are serious at the game will want a few on hand this season to increase the odds of tagging a Biggie! http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sly.gif

Here's the website you can see their other products on, and of course place an order: http://www.zurtrolures.ca/

Will keep ya'll posted as the season progresses and this Killer works it's Magic! http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/nana.gif

Cheers,
Nog

SUAFOYT
04-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Looks like a large version of the Kamlooper spoon. Where are they obtained. I'm off to Hardy this year and need no excuse to add another trinket to the box.

Oops, just saw the link- Yippee for Paypal.

303Brit
04-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks Nog, I'm sure I can think of a few people that will be trying them out ;)

warnniklz
04-25-2011, 12:58 PM
what kind of hook are they loaded up with?

crazybushcreature
04-25-2011, 01:18 PM
nice shiny spoon

IronNoggin
04-25-2011, 01:25 PM
what kind of hook are they loaded up with?

They come with a hook intended for recreational use. I didn't quite like that, and switched it out to a # 5 stainless commercial "beaked" hook. Those grab on and won't let go. Ordered 4 dozen of these spoons this morning, sans hooks and got a bit of a price break as a consequence.

I also believe it will present a very good pilchard imitation when modified as I do with the large Wonder Spoons. Can't wait to give that a whirl!!

Really good spoon. I am in no way affiliated with this company, but certainly recognize a Killer when it presents itself! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

warnniklz
04-25-2011, 01:37 PM
I'd like to see it worked alongside a coyote spoon for product comparison

IronNoggin
04-25-2011, 01:46 PM
I'd like to see it worked alongside a coyote spoon for product comparison

Always have Coyotes on hand whenever I hit The Pond. Tried several varieties, including the NightRider and Cop Car. The Rosco well outfished them.

What appears to be black in the above image is actually a dark blue/purple color, and the white is glow. Thicker than a Coyote, different action and the finish held up right well to the savages of ~ 50 or so springs. A Winner for me. As always, your mileage may differ...

Cheers,
Nog

warnniklz
04-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Good to know. I've also noticed some of the "older" made in the usa coyotes do have a nicer colour than the ones produced overseas...

It also looks like the Rsoco's scales are more reflective than the cop car. Could be an advantage in deeper waters.

Jagermeister
04-25-2011, 04:13 PM
I ordered some of the 512s and 314s. The 314s in 50/50 to imitate fry, going to try them on Shuswap and see if the rainbows will sucker for them. Will try the larger ones late summer when the springs hit the system.

gmcgilli66
04-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Lakers and Gerrards might like some 'o those babies as well!

Johnnybear
04-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Great hands on report Nog. I will try it out. I've been a pretty die hard metal head for the last couple of years now.

Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo stocks them or you can buy them online at the home page Nog posted up. Great couple of local boys from Nanaimo making them up right here on the rock.

Jagermeister
05-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Once you order, how long does it take for the order to be delivered? Paypaled the Zur Tro order and still waiting nearly 2 weeks later. Not impressed with their slowboat delivery. Getting :mad:

IronNoggin
05-11-2011, 05:27 PM
OOPS! Might have swamped the little local shop with this appreciation!
Small scale one-man show, and damned Happy he could fill our order first! Continues to be a regular "Lunch Item" :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

Poguebilt
05-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Just ordered up a 334 and 512 Rosco for the ol man to try out at Campbell River..... Very Impressed!

Jagermeister
05-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Once you order, how long does it take for the order to be delivered? Paypaled the Zur Tro order and still waiting nearly 2 weeks later. Not impressed with their slowboat delivery. Getting :mad:Nathan emailed me to tell me that my order was shipped this past Monday. He ssaid that all lures are hand painted and I guess this is what takes the time. So, be patient and they will come.

Poguebilt
05-11-2011, 07:01 PM
If you look at his web site in RED there is a 3 week wait time....... No problem as long as you know!

markrfarley
05-12-2011, 04:53 PM
I ordered some April 25 and got them today may 12, and they are going to get a good soaking Friday the 13TH !!
They look nice!
mmmm low slack.