PDA

View Full Version : fly in paddle out rivers

wayne nicol
04-24-2011, 01:28 PM
hi, wayne here- second post on this forum. neat site eh!!
i am an ex south african, and a trad bow hunter.
is there any input with regards to alternative "fly in paddle out" rivers in bc.
this is what i would consider ideal- but then we cant always have what we want!!!
i am looking at the kechika right now.
i would love to find an isolated area, that gives us the opportunity to fly in with a small group( 3 to 4 of us) and a paddle out a few hundred km or so back to some form of "civilisation" for a vehicle pick up.
i really dont want to fly in/ fly out.
just to costly for us.
we have all the neccesary gear-canoes, camp equip, "S.P.O.T" s will rent a sat phone for emerg if needed.
lots of experience with maps etc
i guided in africa- and know enough about dangerous game and a hostile wilderness, to know that it all deserves respect, caution and attention;
and that arrogance and complacancy will always lead to trouble.
i have been in canada here for 4 years now- and have hunted and camped here every year.
my hunting buddy is a true blue canuck, with a lifetimes worth of hunting and bush time- i took him to africa 2 years ago, and he did exceptionally well there- we have hunted/and camped together for the last 3 years- we are different people, but understand each other well, and co-habit in the bush quite well.
we had an encounter with a grizzly, over a gut pile, and boy- i was sure glad to have him there, helps when someone has had a bit more experience in a specific field- namely sharp, prickly bears!!!
but we will probably do this trip with 3 or 4 of us.- makes more sense from a safety perpective.

if anybody would like to give a little input it would be truly appreciated- and i am quite happy with pm's, as it helps to keep your special spots out of the limelight if need be!!

in anticipation.
thank you
wayne

25tikka
04-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Stikine river has lots of area and is a good fly in paddle out. Moose Caribou goats Sheep

MattB
04-24-2011, 07:02 PM
There's an author with a couple books out on paddling northern BC rivers. Her name is Laurel Archer. I'd suggest buying her books and researching the different rivers that way. That's what I've done. Her books have lots of good info and they provide coordinates of all obstacles you'll want to avoid on the rivers.

wayne nicol
04-24-2011, 07:17 PM
thanks for that matt.

boxhitch
04-24-2011, 11:09 PM
northern-rockies-lodge.com/tour_packages/canoeing_trips
Some good info here

wayne nicol
04-24-2011, 11:58 PM
thanks boxhitch.