PDA

View Full Version : elk in the gataga area

wayne nicol
04-24-2011, 12:37 PM
hiya all.
new to the forum.
i am a trad bow hunter, and i live here in bc on the queen charlottes.
i am planning a fly in and paddle out trip on the gataga/ kechika
what knowledge is there of elk in the gataga aeas, and moose in the gataga-
being a trad bow hunter, might be nice to get in where there are not so many people/boaters, before we get down to the kechika.
i do not have a problem with the jetties, just each to his own- besides i really cant afford one of those beauties.
any, and all input is appreciated
thanks
wayne

kgriz
04-24-2011, 09:10 PM
flew the whole area in a chopper in the winter....tons of moose in the burns ....lots of elk on the big flat between the rivers just before the confluence...thats also where the guide at Terminus is more or less. \i'm assuming you are landing at the Gataga |Lakes....the country off of the river is really broken and full of blowdown in many spots there but if you call them to the water...NBD

David Heitsman
04-24-2011, 09:11 PM
I did this trip in with Urs at Liard Air in the late 90's. Flew into Mayfield Lakes with a 12' Zodiac and a friend and we floated out in around seven days. I killed a fine 6 X 6 elk on the beach of the Kechika not far from the Turnagain. Saw several bulls and heard many more. Was over the Labour Day weekend. There are lots of goats readily visible on the river shore and moose are quite prevalent as well. I'd caution you on killing a moose as you will need another 500 pounds of capacity in your boat. Our elk pretty much used up all the freeboard we had in fact the boat flooded at the rapids right at the Liard before you race across to the landing. There are sheep as well nearby but the valley is quite wide and swampy in many places.

It is very peaceful for the first couple days and even pretty quiet when in the jettable areas below the falls as they are few and far between in that vast area.

Let us know how it turns out.

Riverratz
04-24-2011, 09:48 PM
We don't do extended canoe trips, but have jet-boated upper Kechika and Gataga.

If you want to do Kechika River; consider getting flown to confluence of Gataga River and S. Gataga River. Actually, you fly in to Mayfield Lakes, then portage your canoes and gear approx. 3 km. down the trail to the S. Gataga R. You float/paddle downstream approx. 80 km.to the confluence of the Kechika, then downstream in Kechika 196 km. to the confluence of the Liard River, then downstream approx. 1 km. to "Skook's Landing" where you would take out.

The Gataga is faster water, 4 sets of rapids, you may have to portage depending on time of year and your skill level, braided channels, deadheads and log jams, do-able if you are experienced canoeists. The scenery is spectacular, superior (I think) to Banff or Jasper.

The Kechika is slow and easy, current averages about 8 kph. no white water, quite a few log jams, deadheads and braided channels, but nothing dangerous, no portages, just a matter of picking the right channel There are 8 sets of rapids in the last 30-40 km. to navigate, but nothing too serious.
The only questionable section is approx. 5-6 km. from the Liard where the Kechika River narrows past some rock faces, sharp S-turns, and drops considerably in a hurry. Again, depending on time of year, there are boils and standing waves at this location. You should be sure to know in advance where this section is, stay close to east shore, you can pull out and check it out prior to heading down. Lots of beach at this section on the east side, you could do a short easy portage (200 meters roughly) around it if you choose.

When you exit the Kechika into the Liard, you absolutely MUST quickly get to the north side of Liard and stay on that side. The Liard is fairly swift at this point, probably 10 kph+, but smooth. It is approx. 400-500 m. wide. Suggest paddling upstream as you cross.The take-out at Skook's Landing is on the north side about 1 km. downstream from the confluence of the Kechika.

If you unfortunate enough to miss beaching at Skook's Landing,............ approx. 1km. below Skook's Landiing is Whirlpool Canyon. This is an extremely dangerous section of the Liard, if you end up going down there, your chances of survival are negligible at best and you can kiss the boats and gear good-bye,........ permanently.

Skook's Landing is where folks launch their jet-boats, etc. Your vehicle transportation would pick you up there, easy access for vehicle down from the highway. There is nothing at Skook's Landing, just a rocky beach and boat launch.
Coal River is approx. 40 km. east of Skook's, limited services available there, RV park, small cafe, fuel, cabins. Fireside is approx. 5 km. north of Skook's, limited services.

As for air services, check with Liard Tours Ltd., Muncho Lake, 1-800-663-5269. They have been providing float plane service to hunters, etc. for a very long time and they do fly to Mayfield Lakes, as well as others. With four of you doing the trip, two flights would be necessary, Liard Tours Ltd's 2011 brochure states air fare from Muncho Lake to Mayfield Lakes in their Beaver float plane is $1390.00. They have a web site; Northern Rockies Lodge.com.

Gataga and Upper Kechika is as remote as it gets, you will see very few people or boats, if any. There is more boat/hunter activity closer to Turnagain confluence, but certainly not what one would consider to be "busy". Be prepared for anything and everything. SAT phone and emerg. gear highly recommended. Weather and river conditions change from year to year, water levels can drop considerably in a very short period of time once into Sept.

Hope this helps, good luck with your plans

bruin
04-24-2011, 10:54 PM
That's great info ratz. Very specific. I'm not planning a trip but will save this for future reference. Thanks again.