PDA

View Full Version : Sooke target shooting??

sudsy
04-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Hi, im new to the site and this is my first post. Im looking to get back into archery. I am living in sooke bc and havent heard or seen anything around for archery. Is there any clubs or ranges around? Thanks!!!

BowSitter
04-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Give BowWalker on this site a PM and will be able to help you.

Bow Walker
04-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Closest place with Archery facilities is Victoria Fish and Game Club up on the top of the Malahat on Holker Rd. Most people I now of in Sooke have a target that they take out into the bush and have at 'er.

Eagle Eye Outfitters used to have an Archery department. It was up and coming - although a bit slow for the owners - I know because I built it for them and managed it until they decided to go strictly fishing and get out of everything else. Now they are only into fishing - about 90% salt water and 10% fresh water.

sudsy
04-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Thats too bad to hear there is no clubs in sooke! I grew up in Campbell River and really took it for granted living so close to a great facility. I'l probably just get a target and head out to the woods or school field to shoot, Driving up the malahat to shoot some arrows seems a bit outa the way. Thanks for the replies!

Bow Walker
04-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Quite a lot of years ago there was a club in Sooke. All the members have since gotten too old or moved, or died off. Two years ago an effort was made to form a new club out in Sooke. A notice was posted (in Eagle Eye) some 25 or 30 people signed up as being very interested. A meeting was organized and called for a mid-week evening. All the signees on the Archery Club 'interest form' were either phoned, email, or otherwise notified. Eagle Eye was all set up to 'sponsor' the new club. Discounts were available for all the Club's members.

Out of all those people, guess how many showed up to the meeting? Five. Myself included. We still tried to get up and running, figuring that when we were an actual Club more members would naturally sign on. The first meeting was of the organizational and information gathering kind of meeting. A second meeting was organized for the following month. Again people were notified. The night of the meeting there were three people that showed up.

We pressed onward. We found out what was necessary to form and run a cub and went ahead and made inquiries. An indoor shooting/practice venue was found, interviewed, and secured. An outdoor shooting venue was being sourced. Targets were investigated. We decided to construct our own. Materials were sourced, and costs were investigated. Backdrops were sourced and organized for the indoor shooting. BC Archery Association was contacted and club formation costs, plus insurance costs were found.

Now it was time for interested people to step up and pay for the first year of membership. The fee was very modest. Less than $100. Guess how many people paid? All signees of the original form were notified. Guess how many actually stepped up and put their money on the table? Three. It wasn't enough to form the club. The "Club" was promoted and pushed for another 6 months. No further interest was found.

The is the sad story of the Sooke Archery Club.

sudsy
04-24-2011, 08:47 PM
That really sucks that there wasnt enough interested people willing to step up and help establish a club. It really sounds like you guys did all your homework and made contacts but with the lack of actual interested people it couldnt be acomplished. Maybe there will be enough interested people down the road and something could be re-born. I know i would sign up!

Bow Walker
04-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Yeah, it was a lot of work by 3 or 4 people. Only to have the whole thing tank when it got down to the 'short strokes'. Hopefully it can be revived in the future.

Bow Walker
04-28-2011, 10:11 AM
How many archers in Sooke area anyway?

C'mon, post up and let's see how many of us there are...

sudsy
04-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Me...........................

Bow Walker
04-29-2011, 04:42 PM
OK, that's two - no, three, Bochunk2000 lives out here.

Who else?

BCHoyt
12-06-2011, 07:53 PM
I just moved to Sooke in the summer and am planning on getting back into archery as well so count me in... Lets get a sooke archery club going..

Bow Walker
12-07-2011, 11:37 AM
I can't help much - I've moved out of the area. I'm now located out by the ferries.

If you want - PM me for the information that 'we' collected before everyone went their respective ways.

.45-70 guide
01-05-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm in langford, is that close enough?

Bow Walker
01-06-2012, 11:41 AM
If you get targets and backstops - the community hall rents for $20/hour.........three four guys shooting could easily cover any costs for two to three hours. If I remember right - there is storage available there for your targets, but check that to make sure.