PDA

View Full Version : Rusted Steel

heyblast
04-22-2011, 07:39 PM
My wife and I went for a walk today to enjoy the nice weather. Saw two pairs of geese with six and eight gooslings, single drake Mallards and some pairs and pairs of Bufflheads, Ringnecks and Gadwalls. All good signs for next seasons. While walking my wife picked up a spent wad and passed it to me to put in my pocket and through it in the garbage but I felt it was heavy and took a closer look. The wad has about 8 to 12 #2 pellets rusted to the bottom of it. I'm certain that this is a Black Cloud wad there are flightstopper pellets in it. Made me wonder how many times I've shot shells that the pellets had rusted, in a mass ? or in groups rusted together. Even more interesting is the fact that the powder stayed dry or dry enough to propell the shot out the barrel and not block the barrel. With a pump shotgun this is a deffinent saftey hazard, I have a Model 12 to proof that.

field marshal
04-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Never heard of that one before, but it certainly makes you think!
I don't go wading around in water much over my pockets anymore so I guess I'll be alright.:mrgreen: Most of our crew can't keep shells long enough to have them rust anyway:mrgreen:. I wish everyone would pick up their shells and wads after a shoot.:evil:---Cheers--Field Marshal.

Dutch
04-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Have seen it before usually with the older style of steel wads ,get wet in your pocket then dry sit for a while ,powder still dry boom .Was shooting some old steel at targets for just this reason and seen one hit the dirt like a slug so cut a few open,see if I can find the pics .

heyblast
04-25-2011, 12:55 PM

Able to get a picture of the inside of the wad, the bottom is pellets rusted together.