PDA

View Full Version : Wabbits

Elkhound
08-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Well it's Aug 1st, First day of wabbit season and Mrs. Elkhound is dying to get some. Who hunts them?

brotherjack
08-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I'll be out tonight, trying out my new 17HMR on em; using the 20 grain XTP/hunting bullets, not the 17 grain explosive ones. :)

reach
08-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Mrs. Elkhound is dying to get some Have you been spending too much time on HuntingBC again, neglecting your family duties? :mrgreen:

But seriously... I'm going to be up in the Green Lake area this weekend and might bring the .22 along... anybody have any suggestions for techniques/locations (even what general terrain to look for)? I'm a newbie hunter so any tips would be appreciated.

Mrs.Elkhound
08-01-2006, 04:16 PM
No neglect here;-)

Any tips for a new hunter ?
I would love to make some rabbit stew mmmmmmmmmmm that's sounds so good! I have to go and eat supper. Really, I would like to here some great tips on hunting rabbits!

LeverActionJunkie
08-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Best tip I can think of is find a friend with a Beagle, it will completely change your wabbit hunting experience.

Marc
08-01-2006, 05:33 PM
For some reason just before dark seems to be the best time of day. They all seem to be on the move as the sun is setting.

Marc.

randy
08-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Are there any good spots around the Lower Mainland? I would love to get out for an envening or two. mmmmmmmmmm rabits!!!!

Mrs.Elkhound
08-01-2006, 06:46 PM
That's perfect, in the evening is when we go out.:biggrin:

I asked Elkhound where the best place to hunt rabbit in the Lower Mainland and he said "Richmond #5, some of the farms have lots of rabbits and would probably love a hunter to come in and take care of them." :)
I would love to hear if you get any. I think we are going to go out on Thrusday.:-(

reach
08-01-2006, 07:54 PM
And just to clarify... from the regs, it looks like the Eastern Cottontail (sylvilagus floridanus) and European Rabbit (oryctolagus cuniculus) are on Schedule C so could be hunted anywhere, year round. It's only the Snowshoe Hare (lepus americanus) that has an open season Aug. 1 - Apr. 30, and that doesn't include Richmond. But the snowshoe hare is on Schedule B so it may be killed to protect property (or in the open season of course) so with a farmer's permission you could probably hunt it in Richmond year round.

But I'm assuming the hordes of small rabbits in my back yard in Langley are eastern cottontails - is this correct? Where are snowshoe hares found outside alpine and far northern areas? What species are normally hunted in which areas?

LeverActionJunkie
08-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Any Coniferous wooded areas, especially where the evergreen mix with aspen, swamps, etc.

Mrs.Elkhound
08-01-2006, 11:49 PM
thank you guys,you are very helpful with the tips.:smile:
I'm always interested in any infor, since I just passed the hunting course this year!:razz: I have not had a chance to shoot anything yet:smile: Anytime!!!!!

ianwuzhere
08-02-2006, 06:31 PM
ill most likely be headin out this week- try the .22 see wut happends- have seen a fair amount this year - definately a good thing...
cheers!!!

brotherjack
08-02-2006, 10:03 PM
I can happily report, that my new 17HMR, loaded with the 20 grain XTP bullets, works awesome on rabbits, and extends my range out well past where I can likely spot em. :)

Byson
08-03-2006, 06:50 AM
up around Goldbridge and bralorne there are lots of rabbits running around

Ullr
08-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Anyone know any good places to hunt rabbit on south Vancouver island ? I'm new to hunting on the island and would like to find some good places to bag a couple of rabbits.

Joe89
08-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Just wondering , what is the proper way to field dress a rabbit as in do you need to leave the head attached or the hide. I know with grouse you are supposed to leave a wing attached for I.D.

I got 2 rabbits last night and I skinned and removed the head, but on my way down the hill , I was wondering if I would get into trouble if I ran into a C.O. ?

PGKris
08-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Seen lots so far. Missed one last night with the 22.............apparently 75m is a bit too far to be shooting at bunnies :lol: Anyone got any recipes/cooking/cleaning tips?

atri
08-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Here's a thread from way back that has some cleaning tips:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=818&highlight=rabbits

ianwuzhere
08-10-2006, 07:05 PM
went out last nite and seen a few, had a long shot at one but of course missed- never really good at them standing shots. Seen about 5 - short trip 1-2hrs maybe next time...

TheVarmintHunter
08-15-2006, 10:09 PM
where did ya end up going???....I'd love to have a go at the rabbits....and evening hunts are great for me too!!!!

Mr. Dean
08-16-2006, 12:41 AM
But I'm assuming the hordes of small rabbits in my back yard in Langley are eastern cottontails - is this correct?
Yes.

AND they're VERY tasty

reach
08-16-2006, 03:17 PM
AND they're VERY tasty I know... one of them somehow came down with a severe case of lead poisoning and found its way into a stew pot... :mrgreen:

PGKris
08-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Well no bunnies tonight. Which I think is odd?? But I did see three grouse and a nice black bear.

Schmaus
08-16-2006, 10:52 PM
I just got back from the Bowron and we seen lots of rabbits and two black bears. I had my new ruger 10-22 along but I don't like to clean rabbits so we let them live.

PGKris
08-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Where were you on the Bowron that you saw lots of bunnies? I drove all over that road and didn't see anything except a squirrel

TheVarmintSlayer
08-17-2006, 09:42 AM
If anyone has a Rabbit problem (or knows a farmer with a Rabbit problem) in the Lower Mainland just send me a PM and I'd be more than happy to come over with my customized Crosman 2240 (.22 airgun) :wink:

Schmaus
08-17-2006, 10:17 AM
I was up the beaver we seen about 10 rabbits all the way up to about kilometre 46. We seen them all on the way back just before dark.

chevy
08-19-2006, 03:53 PM
me and a buddy got 7 rabbits already two with a bow not easy but we did it and made rabbit stew and it was mm mm tasty

PGKris
08-19-2006, 11:17 PM
I got one tonight out behind baldy hughes. Gonna be tasty tomorrow. Schmaus do you happen to know a guy name of Jay Campbell?

Schmaus
08-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Sounds familiar but i'm not sure

hannibal
07-31-2007, 10:33 AM
Aug 1 is around the corner and I'm eagerly awaiting some fresh sport. I've been out practicing with my .22 and I'm ready for some B&C rabbits:mrgreen:. Anyone else going out for Buggs?

Wildfoot
07-31-2007, 12:04 PM
always do! I love them slow cooked in hot sauce... best midnight snack ever. Haha got the recipe from a buddy whos the local fishing guide in valemount.

Im hopin to use the .22, 410 and bow on them this year. Ive been saving up the skins. either making a nice pair of socks for in the sleeping bag for winter camps, or a nice bed for my cats.

Heres a pic of one night's worth last summer.

BTW. if you havent tried bunnies... go for it! really fun and pretty tricky to sneak up on sometimes. But make sure you kill them with the first shot. Their screeching can turn anyone off hunting for a looong time!

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9585/bunnahfs6.jpg

Elkhound
07-31-2007, 12:32 PM
wildfoot...please post your wabbit recipe for newhunterette's cook book.:-D

Big Blaze
07-31-2007, 11:35 PM
any areas in the lower mainland specifically langley, that would be worth a try I would love to get out and get some any info or tips would be awsome

7mmag
08-01-2007, 06:00 AM
I look for open areas next to very thick growth with a lot of dead falls.

Then I find a good place to sit and wait until sundown.

I shoot one or two and throw them strate into the pot!

It's good eating and good fun!!

newhunterette
08-01-2007, 07:17 AM
ohhhh boy rabbits - well um hubby shot a couple rabbits once and when he got home his concience sort of got him when he walked into the garage and there staring him in the face was our daughter's pet bunny Smokie. Our daughter hasn't forgiven him yet and she now has 2 pet bunnies.

jessbennett
08-01-2007, 07:25 AM
hey jay campbell is my best friend for years!!!!lol we grew up together. he been out jet boating???

jessbennett
08-01-2007, 07:26 AM
jay campbell is my best friend.. has been for years we grew up together. he been out jet boating lately???8)

I got one tonight out behind baldy hughes. Gonna be tasty tomorrow. Schmaus do you happen to know a guy name of Jay Campbell?

Barracuda
08-01-2007, 10:18 AM
I used to hunt them with my old spanial which was alot of fun. rabbits tended to run full circle from where the he was found.
Here is a tip that has worked well for me. Get a whistle (kind of high pitched without a pea so it sounds kinda like a bird of prey)or learn to whistle loudly and when you see a bunnie and it starts to lope off blow the whistle and the rabbit will very often freeze for a few seconds so you can get on target and harvest him .

Stone Sheep Steve
08-01-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm thinking of taking the kids out this evening for a drive. I'm not sure if a hare should be the first animal that they should be in on?:-? They did express some interest in taging along8).

SSS

Fisher-Dude
08-01-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm thinking of taking the kids out this evening for a drive. I'm not sure if a hare should be the first animal that they should be in on?:-? They did express some interest in taging along8).

SSS

How the heck do you all ride on the TW?

rocketrob
08-01-2007, 09:26 PM
check out rockymountainbeagles.piczo.com lots of rabbit recipes

calvin L
08-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Stone sheep steve . The only thing you have to think about is how fast jamie (spelling ) is going to cook and eat it .:-D. You can fill up the pick up box now the brakes are working :mrgreen:.Try to shaft one seeing the b/heads are cheep (ever find it ? ):wink:

mapguy
08-02-2007, 06:33 AM
best time for wabbits is first thing in the morning daybreak in this heat the head for cover along with everthing else fairly early

Stone Sheep Steve
08-02-2007, 07:24 AM
F/D
If I had another helmet, I could put my daughter on the front and my son on the back.

I would have taken both kids out but my daughter had a busy day and crashed early.
So, I took my son out sighted in the .22, taught him how to shoot and a few minutes later I showed him how it's done. In his eyes, it might as well been a 40" ram:)!
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/hareyexperience0022.jpg

Moments later he got to see me miss:redface:(twice).

He can't wait to get out on Friday eve!

SSS

Fisher-Dude
08-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Right on SSS! Good to see him out there! Nice region 9 errr 10 wabbit!

I've gotta have a talk with that boy about the shirt he's wearin' though...:-?

locdog_99
08-02-2007, 08:47 AM
ill be heading out today to see if i can get anything should be fun

Wildfoot
08-02-2007, 09:47 AM
im goin out this evening to pop a few. got the deuce deuce sighted in. same with the 410. im excited to see what kinda damage a 410 slug does to these critters.

I will email my hotsauce bunny wing recipe for the cookbook.

bunnies seem to have a magic hour. maybe 30 - 50 mins where rabbits will be everywhere. the rest of the day dont even bother. I find that just before sundown is the best, and early early morning can be good too.

if you can find an old logging road that has been reclaimed by the forest, you will have a good honey hole for grouse and bunnies! Keep an eye out for spent 22 casings and shotgun shells to see how much hunting pressure is in the area.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Headed out again last night, this time with the full crew.

My daughter is a natural carnivore and likes to know where her food comes from.

After horrifying her vegetarian daycare companions:eek: of eating our harvest she wanted to be in on the action.

She insisted on watching me gut the beast and had to know what parts did what8).

http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/hareyexperience0032.jpg
I also gave a quick lesson on trophy photogaphy, another important aspect of the hunt.
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/hareyexperience0052.jpg

SSS

Wildfoot
08-04-2007, 05:14 PM
wow SSS those ones are huge! The ones i have shot are only about 2/3 that size! Id like some that big for sure!

u need to increase your f stop to make the hunters in focus too ;)

o2fish2day
08-05-2007, 01:40 AM
What am I doing wrong?!!? Back in June I found this spot with tons of rabbits. Went there tonight..(just got back) and didn't see a single rabbit. It it the time of year? Are rabbits skiddish like deer - any pointers please.

The Dawg
08-05-2007, 08:56 AM
What am I doing wrong?!!? Back in June I found this spot with tons of rabbits. Went there tonight..(just got back) and didn't see a single rabbit. It it the time of year? Are rabbits skiddish like deer - any pointers please.

I find that the best time to go is just before sundown. As most said on here, look for FSR's that looks like they are barely used and beginning to be covered in grass- thick bush on the edges helps too....

They can be skiddish, so I always creep up slowly...if they do bolt into cover, I find that they never usually go more than 10 feet into the bush....I watch for movement, as they quite often poke their heads out to have a look at you...when I get a clear shot is when I take it.

Good luck, and let us know when you connect!

The Dawg
08-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Took my bro and wife out last night...they both connected with their first animals ever...they were both beaming as you can see. That makes 4 snowies so far between us....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/huntingaug4_005.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5662&size=big&cat=500)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/huntingaug4_010.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5663&size=big&cat=500)

o2fish2day
08-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Are you guys driving the logging roads or walking them? Is it worth while to bush wack through a cut or just follow the roads?

Stone Sheep Steve
08-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Anyone have any info on Hare hunting in the Rock Creek area???
We're going to be staying at the Kettle River prov campground for a week starting this Sunday. I'd like take the kids out once or twice to break up the action. There should be at leat 20 kids staying in the group site with us so if we can spark and interest in hunting in any of them(beside my own kids)that would be great!!8)

PM me if you prefer as I know "hare hunters" are even more secretive than sheep hunters:wink:.

Thanks
SSS

Fisher-Dude
08-10-2007, 08:20 AM
SSS, GG talked about finding hare pie at the Prospector Pub in Rock Creek. Ask him. 8)

Kitimat Killer
08-10-2007, 09:03 AM
For some reason just before dark seems to be the best time of day. They all seem to be on the move as the sun is setting.

Marc.
ya i call it happy hour the last hour more even half and hour is the best thats why happy hour for me last i have not been out for them yet but will soon last time we went out got ten of the little buggers bettween two of us.

steelheadSABO
01-29-2008, 07:22 PM
are airguns legal for hunting if your on private propertie .
AND is a blowgun allowed for small game hunting?