PDA

View Full Version : mega huge license error...HELP!

andrew404
04-22-2011, 12:02 AM
today i went to grab my bear tag as im suppose to be going hunting tomorrow. i went in gave my hunters number and licence a new tag was put in. now the part that thru me off. the woman who was helping me scrolled to my other tag and changed the expiry date from 2011 to 2012..... thats right my ignorant newbie a$$ didnt know that the license had to be renewed each year i thought it was just the tags that expired. at this point i didnt second guess her and went on my marry way thinking that maybe the tags roll over if not filled the year past( i guess she thought the prior person who filled the tag maybe put in the wrong year?) . i got home and started to think about it grab my rags and my heart sank. now im stuck with a void tag and am wondering how to go about fixing this massive **** up. feel free to flame me i know how stupid a mistake this is. any info would be greatly appreciated

Mr. Dean
04-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Eat it.
Buy a new licence, tags, go hunting - That's probably the easy fix.

Pioneerman
04-22-2011, 12:12 AM
That is a royal pain in the butt. I would take it back to the store that did it and explain what happened and get them to correct it and probably get a letter from them. I am not sure, but you are allowed two bears, but no reason you can't buy many bear tags or is that not correct ? So as long as you don't have more than two tags or two cut tags in your booklet you should be safe, but again I would get the store and the MOE notified right away to cover your a$$. This is a error that should be able to correct pretty easy, but still annoying

andrew404
04-22-2011, 12:12 AM
so i dont have to report it or anything? if im good to go buy a new license and tag then that all fine and good i just dpnt want it comming back to haunt me if i do nothing about it

andrew404
04-22-2011, 12:15 AM
yeah it is a pain seen how we have a two day trip planned around this but if i cant go i cant go. dosent help that everyone is closed tell tuesday

Pioneerman
04-22-2011, 12:21 AM
yeah it is a pain seen how we have a two day trip planned around this but if i cant go i cant go. dosent help that everyone is closed tell tuesday

Closed till Tuesday ? You mean the Government or the stores in your area? The stores will be open to get a new license and tags. I doubt you will have a problem, just keep records for your own piece of mind

Steeleco
04-22-2011, 12:27 AM
I assume you got a new booklet? If so I don't see anything wrong with maybe steaming the tag and transferring the info and tag from the wrong page to a new page in the new book. I'm not sure of the legalities, but your doing the honest thing in my book?

andrew404
04-22-2011, 12:39 AM
that crossed my mind but when they give you the tag and fill out the part for their records do they write down your license number or just hunter number? if the tag number is on file with my old license number thats a no go if not that would work

andrew404
04-22-2011, 12:41 AM
i think i'm gonna buy a new license and tag tomorrow and phone it into moe on tuesday when they open. thoughts on that?

fearnodeer
04-22-2011, 05:56 AM
My Garandpa once in Alberta was asked to show his fishing licence and when he did its was for last year but he new he bought a new one, thank god he had his old one with him because he bought his new one before the old one had expired and the co was smart enough to out that he had two for the same year. You are doing the wright thing, call the moe on monday i am sure they will help you out, better safe then out of pocket.

valleycowboy
04-22-2011, 06:51 AM
i think i'm gonna buy a new license and tag tomorrow and phone it into moe on tuesday when they open. thoughts on that?

my opinion........this is the way to go.
not a big deal.like it was said earlier,you get 2 bear tags.buy another license and tag and phone on tuesday,go out have fun this weekend and don't sweat it!!

stanway
04-22-2011, 06:52 AM
I can't 'flame' you because the retailer is supposed to know better. I assume by your story that she did not fill out a new booklet - just changed the dates of last years. That is scary. Did you get charged for a new license and tag?

I don't know where you are located, but that retailer needs to be reported to the MOE/CO. How many other hunters are out there with invalid licenses? Many of the 'big box' stores do not train their employees properly - especially on licenses. At least the fishing is electronic now and not as easy to screw up.

Don't buy your license at Wal-Mart - it's not any cheaper - in fact, could cost you more in the long run.

Good luck!

Trapper
04-22-2011, 06:52 AM
Just go back to the store where you got your tag. they can void the the tag and issue you a new licence and tag.no big deal.but you'll have to go to same store.

sparkes3
04-22-2011, 07:50 AM
what trapper said

Pioneerman
04-22-2011, 08:01 AM
I did renew my license at Wal-Mart a couple days ago, becuase other places I went were out of bear tags, and it was a new person filling out my tags and license and I had to watch him like a hawk and help him do it right

One Shot
04-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Go to a Sevice BC location. They have the authority and ability to change it for you.

muledeercrazy
04-22-2011, 09:48 AM
buy the new liscence, and cut the new tag and page out of the old one and staple it to the last page of your new liscense. That is what they have to do if you buy more tags than the liscense booklet can hold, so it should be fine.

edited: i am a little confused, did she sell you a new liscense or not? If she just sold you the tag, the problem is that the tag will be issued under your old liscense number and not valid. So disregard my advice and talk to the moe if you want to be totally safe. If she didnt issue you a new liscense I dont see why you could not buy a new one and a second bear tag. that might make things more complicated in the end.

KodiakHntr
04-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Wow....So much wrong information here its not funny.

You will have to go to the access center and explain what happened. Anything else will be an opening to net yourself an offence, such as buying a second licence, or transfering tags from one to the other.

Very good way to have your licence pulled for the year, or a fine on your record. Is a two day hunt worth it to you to not be able to hunt for the next 365 days?

Walksalot
04-22-2011, 10:15 AM
If you want to go hunting this weekend go buy a new hunting license and tag. Then put the messed up license and tag in an envelope addressed to the proper authorities. I had a brain fart one year and bought a license and tags in the fall forgetting I had purchased a hunting license to go turkey hunting in the spring. I phoned the proper authorities and they instructed me to send in the license I had purchased in the spring with an explanation enclosed. I think it is the easiest way.

If you don't care if you go hunting this weekend or not then going to Service B.C., when it opened would be a good avenue to take.

elkdom
04-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Wow....So much wrong information here its not funny.

You will have to go to the access center and explain what happened. Anything else will be an opening to net yourself an offence, such as buying a second licence, or transfering tags from one to the other.

Very good way to have your licence pulled for the year, or a fine on your record. Is a two day hunt worth it to you to not be able to hunt for the next 365 days?

x2 ! some times the " ADVICE" is friggen hilarious! pulling out pages of hunting licenses, changing dates,purchasing multiple licenses in a single license year,
simply amazing,,,,,,,,,,,,,:?

KodiakHntr
04-22-2011, 10:40 AM
x2 ! some times the " ADVICE" is friggen hilarious! pulling out pages of hunting licenses, changing dates,purchasing multiple licenses in a single license year,
simply amazing,,,,,,,,,,,,,:?

Yep....Amazing isn't even adequate.

Open up the first page in the licence booklet, big RED box "DO NOT REMOVE ANY PAGE(S) OR LICENCES........"

Hell, even on the back page it states that the ISSUER MUST record the serial number for additional pages.....Wonder why that would be.....?

Sitkaspruce
04-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Buy a new licence, tag and go hunting.

Contact the local Gov agent office and explain what happened, they will know what to do.

I would not sweat it too bad, I once bought two moose tags...don't ask. I contacted the local CO's and they voided one tag when we met up later in the month. You will be surprised how offten this happens.

Good luck on your hunt!!!

Cheers

SS

ryanb
04-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Easiest solution, buy your 2011 license and another bear tag and make sure you don't buy any more bear tags otherwise it will show you having bought three Black Bear tags in a year which would be not so good since the provincial bag limit is 2. Keep the screwed up license in case there are questions. And don't worry, you're not going to get in trouble.

andrew404
04-22-2011, 05:18 PM
sorry i should have made it more clear. she did not issue a new license just a new tag and put into last years license hence making it void. i bought a new license and tag today and will call in tuesday to address the issue.

andrew404
04-22-2011, 05:21 PM
i should also make clear I DO NOT HAVE TWO LICENSE'S in my name for 2011-2012. anyhow thanks for all the quick responses guys

RJ
04-22-2011, 05:59 PM
This wasn't a big box store, it was a local shop that definitely should have known better.
No bears anyways, lots of snow though!