PDA

View Full Version : Region 6 Grizzly populations?

Coast mountain guy
04-21-2011, 10:04 PM
I've hunted grizzlies in parts of 6 and I have started noticing the actual number of draws are dramatically being eliminated!!! 3 years ago 6-15 west side of the lake was open with 10-12 draws I think, now not open at all. Last year 6-11 had 11 draws this year 1??? Populations have been healthy from what I have seen and others have as well. Why are the draws being cut and what is the reason if the population is healthy??? Is the outfitter affected or is he still hunting when we can't? Can anybody shine some light on this?

Coast mountain guy
04-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Also, what has to be the reason a total area can be closed with no notification or studies to explain?

Caribou_lou
04-21-2011, 10:30 PM
MOE has dropped tags in less accessible areas. This was done a couple years back when it was discovered that natives were putting in for these areas, drawing grizzly tags, then hunting other zones that are higher odds. Only for the purpose to sell the hides. There was a big bust a few years back in Hazelton. This was MOE's way of solving that problem.

I know there may be a few that take offense to me saying that, but its the truth! Might not be for other reasons in the areas you state, but I know of areas that have had tags reduced because of this.

Coast mountain guy
04-22-2011, 08:36 AM
6-11 has no access unless you have a good boat as well as a large part of 6-10. 6-15 west has road access but you have to work for your bear. Why shut down a whole area because of a few bad seeds? The odds were good to be drawn in theses areas so you could be right.

luckynuts
04-22-2011, 08:51 AM
I have noticed in 7B that the number of tags has been cut way back? 18 tags down to 1 or 2 in one year! With healthy numbers of bears. The areas are hard to hunt and you really need to know the area good to find them which makes me wonder if people are shooting bears in other MU's? Or a high mortality on sows. Have been meaning to speak with our local Bio on it.

W

BabineGuide
04-22-2011, 09:20 AM
I know there may be a few that take offense to me saying that, but its the truth! Might not be for other reasons in the areas you state, but I know of areas that have had tags reduced because of this.

The truth hurts Lou, they will get over it. haha

*sidenote- are you still working at the shop? have you guys got 270 or 300gr barnes tsx in .375h&h on hand?

Caribou_lou
04-22-2011, 07:59 PM
6-11 has no access unless you have a good boat as well as a large part of 6-10. 6-15 west has road access but you have to work for your bear. Why shut down a whole area because of a few bad seeds? The odds were good to be drawn in theses areas so you could be right.

I am right bro! They made this decision without consulting with anyone. Thats MOE for you! Instead of fixing the problem they cut back guys like you and me? does that sound right? MOI... Ministry of Idiots!

Not at the store anymore Troy. Im sure they have some 375H&H though. Good luck this spring!

Darksith
04-23-2011, 08:20 AM
they are even cutting back tags for the GOs though, so I suspect that there are other reasons for these reductions in tags. Probably more pressure from the activists, and having shows on the CBC about grizzlies going extinct isn't helping the situation out. I have a friend that is a GO in a fairly remote area, boat/plane access only and he is selling his outfit b/c they have taken away almost all of his grizz tags which is basically his money maker. Its now too much work for almost no reward since hes not way up north where the really big moose are, and theres no other game in his area now that the woodland caribou are not doing well.

CanuckShooter
04-23-2011, 02:38 PM
The BC Liberal Party is closing Grizzly Hunting in BC just like the NDP did only they are being a little sneaky about it.....Hey Lou, non-native guys do that too...draw one MU and shoot in another....lots of times guys you talk to don't even know which MU they are in!!

Caribou_lou
04-23-2011, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=CanuckShooter;903360]Hey Lou, non-native guys do that too.../QUOTE]

5 natives from Hazelton were caughted and charged. I'm sure non natives do it also.