PDA

View Full Version : Carrying rifle on motorcycle, on a highway

Slinky Pickle
04-20-2011, 04:45 PM
I did a pretty good search and didn't come up with anything so here goes.

While I know that you can carry a non-restricted weapon (hunting rifle) in a vehicle without any kind of lock required, have any of you ever been pulled over or questioned while riding your motorcycle on a highway and while carrying a rifle.

I have a KLR 650 so I often ride it on the highway on my way to trip in the bush. I'm just not sure what to expect if I head off down the road with my rifle over my back. Any one have any experiences?

yukon john
04-20-2011, 04:47 PM
no idea what would happen but you would be really cool

lilhoss
04-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Just another day in Surrey!,..but I would think you may draw attention to your self.It is not illegal as long as it is unloaded,your enroute to or from hunting,etc,etc.If you can I would invest in a guncase for the bike as opposed to hanging it off your shoulder.I used to take my XL600 from home to the bush,with gun over my shoulder,placed in front of me,but I had a short distance to get off the pavement and into the bush.Now,coming home with a deer strapped over the back!!-priceless for all the anti's,hard to hide that.

alexboyprin
04-20-2011, 04:54 PM
hello. i just bought a motorcycle and i was asking myself the same question. I will go ask the police and let you know. bye

Pioneerman
04-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Many years ago I bought a rifle and after a few shells at thew range the stock broke and the bullets were key holing so I was returning it to the owner to get my money back and since it was a long drive I just mounted my kolpin Gun scabbard on my Harley and went that way. I did get stopped by the cops and was checked and when they understood what I was doing and it was empty there wasn't a problem. Granted this was a while ago and everyone complains now if they see anything weapon related, but it should not be illegal at all

Gateholio
04-20-2011, 04:57 PM
It's legal.....No worries as long as it's unloaded. Backpack style cases are likely your best option.

Slinky Pickle
04-20-2011, 05:10 PM
I've got a Kolpin scabbard but no matter how I mock it up on the bike it gets in the way. Either it's a pain to have in place while riding or it makes it almost impossible to swing my leg over to get off. It's about 5 minutes from home to the nearest FSR so the odds of even being pulled over are minimal but I figured I would just see if any else has done it before.

I've got one of these little guys on order so maybe once it comes in I'll build a holster/scabbard for it on the bike. Now THAT would be cool. http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=196&category=17&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

As far as cool goes, I can only dream about doing this.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/motorcycle-revolver-holster-leather-saddle.jpg

mr7mm
04-20-2011, 05:16 PM
i have a klx250 and rack across handlebars works great i just have a soft case when i goes through the city i seen many rcmp members on the road gun the way i figured it as lon as its unloaded there is no issues

Pioneerman
04-20-2011, 05:25 PM
I used to also mount the Kolpin scabbard on the fork tubes so it was straight up and down and it worked great back in the dirt bike days

Gateholio
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM

bbwolf
04-20-2011, 06:34 PM
I put a luggage rack on top of the beer box on my bike and have ridden all over north east BC with as many as 3 firearms strapped to it, without any issue. Same laws apply to any motor vehicle

Amphibious
04-20-2011, 06:57 PM
go over to CGN and contact member Wally. he did this on his KLX650 right through kelowna a couple years ago. he'll tell you the story. BTW: 100% legal to do this.

fearnodeer
04-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Oh ya i have two bikes but unless i am one the dual sport up country i would not even try it

Barracuda
04-20-2011, 08:33 PM
i have had a scabbard with no issue and a folding rifle or one that breaks down in a back pack is no problem.

rifleman
04-20-2011, 10:15 PM
out of site out of mind,,, but it would be cool to see

hunter1947
04-21-2011, 02:30 AM
I would not put a rifle on your back when on a motor bike I would get a case to carry it and attach this caring case to your motor bike ,you sure to get pulled over if you advertise your rifle people in other vehicles will call the cops on you..

eaglesnester
04-21-2011, 08:44 AM
There should be no problem as long as the rifle is unloaded, you have your reg. and your PAL. If you are stopped and checked make sure all your paper work is up to date, you have no tail lights out and you do not exceed the speed limit or give a cop any more reason to stop you. Transporting a rifle on a motorcycle is no different than transporting a rifle in an automobile. However I would have it in a locked case such as a Kolpin or such, and securly mounted to the bike, because if you have to stop to eat, take a whlizz ect. you must take the weapon with you and not leave it unatended on your scooter. It just sort of feels better to me not to take an uncased rifle into a restaurant or Mickey Dees, you might SCARE SOMEBODY with your scarey gun.

Cheers&Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

tim3500
04-21-2011, 09:29 AM
I have never had a problem .Even went threw game checks.I used to go hunting in Princton from Chilliwack with my gun on my back well not on my back had a scabord like one used on a horse strapped along the seat worked great puting it on your back the trigger gaurd digs still have bruses LOL Just use your head use the out of site out of mind rule its perfectly legal put a trigger lock on the gun during transit and take it of when on a FSR now getting the game home well thats another story

Mr. Dean
04-21-2011, 10:39 AM
A few years back, I looked into this (openly mounting my skeet guns to the fork assembly). As long as you follow transport regs, you're GOOD TO GO!

CRS
04-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Get a guitar case, with shoulder straps, and you've got extra room for ammo.

Monashee
04-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Better wear a full face helmet in case Mantler is on duty

forthunter
04-22-2011, 09:06 PM
lol id just avoid kelowna altogether

Jagermeister
04-22-2011, 09:21 PM
I think that boy is done like an over cooked dinner. I'd bet that there will be a few waiting for him to show up inside.

ape
04-22-2011, 09:44 PM
I took one to work one morning for a fella that I work with. All the paper work was done for the transfer and I just strapped it over my shoulder and off I went. Sure got some looks on the way but then up here people are not as scared of a rifle as they seem to be down south.

ryanb
04-24-2011, 12:58 PM
As a general rule I try to avoid any activity that may result in a guns-drawn takedown by the police even if it is legal.... all it takes is an itchy trigger finger by the cops...

500grhollowpoint
04-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Ryanb true words of wisdom. Don't matter if it's legal or not if you get shot by an overzealous cop.

Gateholio
04-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Oh geez.......

H Wally
04-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Legal yes.

Will it get you a butt full of worry, probably.

Legally you're ok if it's unloaded... BUT very few police officers or the vast majority of the public are aware of this. All they see is a guy on a motorcycle with a gun/high powered banana clip baby killing sniper weapon.

A member of canadiangunnutz carried his gun on a sling a couple years back and had the cops show up at his house and a lengthly legal battle with the courts over the whole thing.

In my opinion I'd say put it in a soft guitar case with shoulder straps. It'll protect the gun from road dust, rock chips, rain etc and won't draw as much attention. Also, for those questioning it, yes, guitar cases are legal for transporting firearms in. They are not considered concealing the gun in an illegal fashion aka concealed carry.

alexboyprin
04-24-2011, 04:09 PM
hi. i talked to a policeman today about that. he told me there are no rules against carrying a rifle on a motorcycle provided it is unloaded. Even in town, one can do it. he says that, if a policeman take the gun away from you because he is not sure; we should not argue and we can go pick up the gun at the police station later on when the misunderstanding is solved.
i hope this help.
Alexboy

500grhollowpoint
04-24-2011, 04:39 PM
he says that, if a policeman take the gun away from you because he is not sure; we should not argue and we can go pick up the gun at the police station later on when the misunderstanding is solved.

Exactly. Some cop with something to prove is going to take your gun. After he makes you lay face down on the road and cuffs you. "When the misunderstanding is solved" could be years and legal $$$$$ later.

1/2 slam
04-24-2011, 08:23 PM
I have never had a problem .Even went threw game checks.I used to go hunting in Princton from Chilliwack with my gun on my back well not on my back had a scabord like one used on a horse strapped along the seat worked great puting it on your back the trigger gaurd digs still have bruses LOL Just use your head use the out of site out of mind rule its perfectly legal put a trigger lock on the gun during transit and take it of when on a FSR now getting the game home well thats another story

Why? Not required. I'm tired of hiding.

houndogger
04-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Maybe a annual gun slingin bike ride is in order...

Slinky Pickle
04-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Most of you guys pretty much have the same thoughts as I do. Although it's legal as hell, there's no reason to be stupid about it. I think I might have to invest in a new hunting pack. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/3/7/0/477370.jpg

Slinky Pickle
05-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Well looky what $40 at a pawn shop gets you! There's room for the rifle, binos, ammo and almost anything else I would typically take along. I might even start using it as my regular hunting pack. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And no, that's not my typical riding/hunting attire!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMGP0022_Custom_.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMGP0023_Custom_.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMGP0025_Custom_.JPG

dogger
05-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Great idea slinky pickle. Thanks for sharing!

Gateholio
05-01-2011, 03:13 PM
That's a pretty posh backpack! ;)

bearhunter338-06
05-02-2011, 08:59 AM
I road my bike from Abbotsford to Coquitlam with a dozen arrows in my saddel bags, got lots of funny looks.

rudy
05-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Great thread, I've been want to do the same thing for a while... This guy is my hero:

http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=5110

SimilkameenSlayer
05-09-2011, 11:29 AM
not worth the heat it brings ...... but the old guitar case is great idea ;)

The Hermit
05-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Cops will stop you on a bike just because. Cops will stop you more often if you look like a musician (hippy mary jane smoker) on a bike. Cops will stop you with heightened anxiety if you are carrying a rifle on your bike! Nothing wrong with giving the boys and girls in blue a little anxiety and something to talk about at the coffee shop! ;-) LOL

scope-bite
05-09-2011, 11:57 AM
That is a pretty badass set up Slinky Pickle! Thanks for sharing. I'd pay to see the looks you get with a bear strapped to the back of the bike and your guitar case setup!

Slinky Pickle
05-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Cops will stop you on a bike just because. Cops will stop you more often if you look like a musician (hippy mary jane smoker) on a bike. Cops will stop you with heightened anxiety if you are carrying a rifle on your bike! Nothing wrong with giving the boys and girls in blue a little anxiety and something to talk about at the coffee shop! ;-) LOL

It's actually all the do-gooder civilians on the road dialing 911 on their cell phones that I'm worried about. If I did end up getting stopped by the police, I'm pretty sure that a civil conversation would be enough to let me be on my way again. I've had enough past conversations with the "boys in blue" to know that if you don't turn into an idiot, they usually won't either.

fuzzy
05-10-2011, 12:09 PM
I am not sure of the accuracy of what i am about to type but thought it may be worth you checking into.

From what i have read carrying a gun in a guitar case is considered having a "concealed weapon". I know this seems ridiculous but maybe a sticker or even a peice of duct tape with "Gun" written on it would appease johnny law.

fuzzy

Stone Sheep Steve
05-10-2011, 12:23 PM
I just use a gun cover with my J-107.
http://www.eberlestock.com/JSTCHW%20on%20rifle%20sm.jpg

http://www.eberlestock.com/j107hw%20w%20JSTC%20sm.jpg

I called a local detachment and an officer told me to cover my rifle(even though it wasn't illegal not to cover it) .
He also told me to make sure that I all the paperwork was also in order.

It's slightly awkward to ride with the rifle sticking out the bottom slightly to one side but it is managable.

SSS

Slinky Pickle
05-10-2011, 02:43 PM
From what i have read carrying a gun in a guitar case is considered having a "concealed weapon.

Well fuzzy, I would sure like to see what you have been reading because as far as I know, you can transport (notice I didn't say carry) a non-restricted firearm in whatever you like. The only stipulation is that it must be unloaded.

It's slight awkward to ride with the rifle sticking out the bottom slightly to one side but it is managable

That what I was thinking too. The guitar case works well because it projects everything upward and doesn't dig into the seat. I do have to watch it on low hanging branches and the occasional doorway though. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

rudy
06-10-2011, 11:26 AM
3520 Some more inspiration

west250
06-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Where's the 'like' button on this forum!

I've got a Kolpin scabbard but no matter how I mock it up on the bike it gets in the way. Either it's a pain to have in place while riding or it makes it almost impossible to swing my leg over to get off. It's about 5 minutes from home to the nearest FSR so the odds of even being pulled over are minimal but I figured I would just see if any else has done it before.

I've got one of these little guys on order so maybe once it comes in I'll build a holster/scabbard for it on the bike. Now THAT would be cool. http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=196&category=17&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

As far as cool goes, I can only dream about doing this.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/motorcycle-revolver-holster-leather-saddle.jpg

steepNdeep
06-10-2011, 06:50 PM
I like your improv' Slinky!

I use a J107, same as SSS, except that I tuck in the bottom of it & turn my rifle around so it points up. That way the pack sits flat on the seat. No coppers where I live... :mrgreen:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5249/5310832108_39845a8d81_z.jpg

mrak
06-10-2011, 11:51 PM
i use a uncle mikes gun case the two carring straps over the left mirror and a sapp strap loose and it rides great on my DRZ400

Rectifier
06-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Me and my buddies always carry our guns in guitar cases around here - can't be too careful in the hippie city. People are terrified of guns around here.
They are great for motorcycling with the backpack style case and protect the guns pretty well when putting them behind the back seat of the truck. Electric guitar cases work best because they are a tighter fit and keep your guns from banging around!

gwillim
06-11-2011, 08:24 AM
I've got a friend who carries a rifle over her shoulder on her mountain bike, and this is in Nelson (supposedly the hand wringing capital of the world). She gets second looks, but no one seems put out.

alexboyprin
06-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Hi! ....i went and asked a policeman. There is no law preventing us to carry a rifle on a motorcycle. Just bring all your permits and registration etc. because some policemen are not sure about the laws and will stop you in order to check on you!

cheers
alexboy
PS i now carry mine daily without any problems!

lovemywinchester
07-08-2011, 08:54 AM
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/violin.jpg

Squamch
07-08-2011, 10:40 AM
I have a guitar case for my shortgun (18.5" barrel single shot 12guage). I've got it lined with styrospan rigid insulation, and I cut out the shape of the gun and a spot each for two boxes of slugs/buckshot and one of birdshot. Works great, holds everything in place quite nicely, and keeps it clean when I strap in to the back of my Toyota when it's shitty out, since there isn't room for two people and guns inside a truggy.
To cut the styrospan, I heated a this piece of steel (an old pullsaw blade in this case) with a propane torch and just melted my way through the foam. Then I stuck the two layers together with pl200 (all other types of PL will melt foam board!). After a couple rolls in the truck withthe case strapped down, the foam broke...case still works it's just a bit floppy. Next time I think I'll set in some kind of reinforcement, maybe aluminum angle iron?

1/2 slam
07-08-2011, 11:09 AM
I am not sure of the accuracy of what i am about to type but thought it may be worth you checking into.

From what i have read carrying a gun in a guitar case is considered having a "concealed weapon". I know this seems ridiculous but maybe a sticker or even a peice of duct tape with "Gun" written on it would appease johnny law.

fuzzy

Wrong.....read some more

springpin
07-08-2011, 12:10 PM
I saw somebody riding through Golden with a Koplin gun boot across the rear rack, a couple of weeks ago.

kastles
07-09-2011, 04:54 AM
Putting a rifle in a guitar case could be considered "concealed" if you get a prick cop and a liberal judge(not many of those). Best bet is a proper hard rifle case that bolts onto the bike. This will save your scope from being bumped around on your back.

RBH
07-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Good question. Hate to be a wet blanket, but.... I would say that what you "may" do legally and what you "ought" to do are two different things. It seems predicatable that riding a motor bike, with gun on your back, on a public road, will be provocative to others and will likely bring hassles down on you. Can't see this being in your interest or the interest of hunters generally, who frequently complain about being misunderstood by the non-hunting public. The reality is that Mommy driving the kids to the pool doesn't want to see people driving around with guns on their backs. Unless it is completely impractical to do so, do yourself and all of us a favour and cover it up, use a trigger lock, etc. while on 'public' (as opposed to FSR) roads --i.e. unless you are in hunting territory. You will have a better day if you get directly to the bush and spend your time hunting than if you are roadside dealing with the police (whose life you would be making difficult) discussing the ins and outs of firearms regulations.

Gateholio
07-09-2011, 10:33 AM
The more often hunters and shooters get out and let themselves be seen, the more the public and the police will get used to us and understand the laws. The "be discrete" campaign that hunters undertook in the last few decades has been an abysmal failure, serving only to marginalize hunters and drive them further underground. Meanwhile, minority groups stood up for themselves and got in the public eye and now enjoy mainstream public acceptance.

Hiding your activities only serves to weaken our cause in the long run.

Livewire322
07-09-2011, 11:19 AM
The more often hunters and shooters get out and let themselves be seen, the more the public and the police will get used to us and understand the laws. The "be discrete" campaign that hunters undertook in the last few decades has been an abysmal failure, serving only to marginalize hunters and drive them further underground. Meanwhile, minority groups stood up for themselves and got in the public eye and now enjoy mainstream public acceptance.

Hiding your activities only serves to weaken our cause in the long run.

Here here x2 LOUD AND PROUD

Peter Pepper
07-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Here here x2 LOUD AND PROUD

Are we still planning a gun pride day march down granville st?

Livewire322
07-09-2011, 12:04 PM
I would like to if anyone is willing to organize it. I'm not retired so I can't devote all the time that would be needed to planning it.