PDA

View Full Version : Todagin Mtn Bowhunt??????

Dale
04-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Well I've been shooting my new Bowtech religiously, pouring over maps and google earth, looking at old threads, now I ask the question.....What else can those of you who have hunted there, tell me about the area and what to expect?? Going to be trying for a ram in mid September. Even old stories are good. PM me if you would like to keep secrets secret :mrgreen:
Thanks in advance.

Dale.

kgriz
04-21-2011, 07:05 AM
What you can expect is probably trouble from the guide in the area....its what has kept me from going there....I'm not sure I could show the restraint that some people I know have had in the past. His behavior seems to be widely known but he seems to receive a lot of leeway; I'm not sure if he belongs to the guiding association or not. That being said, I have aerial photos of the area if you want them....google earth is OK but nothing beats the contrast of photos. I could color photo copy them and send them to you if you PM me your address.

Dale
04-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Anybody else?? How about a story atleast?

Bow Walker
04-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Good luck bro'...keep us up to date if you make it. Sorry, I've got absolutely no experience in that area.

ThinAir
04-21-2011, 07:51 AM
It has been very BUSY up there....and I'm not just talking about hunters.
With all the mining exploration taking place in the area, there were men everywhere last year in Aug.
They had a heli-pad, wall tents and even outhouses' up there:)

And yes, the guide is trouble. He will try and screw you over if he can.

It is a good place to see sheep though....be prepared to count rings, alot of the rams are 8years plus and not full curl.

Caribou_lou
04-21-2011, 08:32 AM
I talked to a few guys last fall that went up in august. They made it sound like they saw alot of sheep and none of them complained about the guide. One did make a comment about the chopper traffic but mentioned it help him out a bit on a stalk he made but the ram wasn't full curl.

TSW
04-21-2011, 09:29 AM
PM me if you would like to keep secrets secret :mrgreen:
Thanks in advance.

Dale.

I'm guessing if they want to keep secrets secret they might not tell you...hence the secret:mrgreen:

tomahawk
04-21-2011, 10:36 AM
I've hunted there a couple different times but not recently. You should see lots of sheep and some good rams. Met the CO at the lodge while eatin a Tatogga Burger (awesome) and in the winter of 1991 there was 32 full curl rams on the wintering tip of the plateau that he counted. Lots of sheep, lots of hunters which leads to lots of unethical behaviours at times. Though its bow only area I found 3 different spent shells from rifles and gave them to the CO, he told me who they suspected but that's another story. You might be ok going well after the opening as the hunters could be spread out by then on there arrivals. Any questions PM me.

Patman7
04-21-2011, 03:47 PM
My two sons & a friend have been going up there for the past 6 years. They have brought 2 sheep out & have had a lot of close but no cigar situations. The guide has given them trouble & interfered with stalks several times. Pretty hard to get too wound up with him as he carries guns! Take care & have fun, it's a learning experiance.

kgriz
04-21-2011, 04:18 PM
When I was going to go, I had a letter from the MOE stating that a gun can be carried for protection....this has always been the case but I wanted it in case some loud mouth hassled me about bow only....I was going to hunt with my bow but Dad carry a gun for Griz protection...that being said...carry a gun for protection from whatever needs protection from....some things are a lot less likely to threaten you when you can defend yourself.

Walking Buffalo
04-21-2011, 08:32 PM
A video camera can be good protection from the outfitter. ;)

A camera seems to make a person think a little more about their actions. And if not, video makes good evidence.

greybark
04-21-2011, 08:58 PM
:-D I had great hunting experiences there with no interference from the Guide . In fact I saw him go out of his way to return a lost waterbottle to another party .
Mining exploration was starting as finished that area .
:icon_frow the exceptional goat hunting there was ruined with the harvesting of too many Nannys . Daspite my warnings a Quesnel local with his Business pals from Alberta continued to take Nannys and smaller Males , three years later and I think untill now still no goat season .