PDA

View Full Version : Sights and Rests (Compound Bow)

04-20-2011, 06:01 AM
Just curious....

What would be a decent quality sight for a hunting compound bow for $100 or less?

Also I have used the Whisker Biscuit before and quite like it. Is there anything that anyone has found to be better / different in a good way etc?

Ruger4
04-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Just curious....

What would be a decent quality sight for a hunting compound bow for $100 or less?

Also I have used the Whisker Biscuit before and quite like it. Is there anything that anyone has found to be better / different in a good way etc?

3D ? Target ? Hunting ?
all of the above with same bow ?

04-20-2011, 06:24 AM
3D ? Target ? Hunting ?
all of the above with same bow ?

Thanks....should've mentioned that....All of the above with the same bow.

Bow Walker
04-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Here are a few options for you to consider....

http://hardcorearchery.ca/proshop/Accessories.html

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/cobra-python-toolless-sight-extension-mounting-bracket-black-p-1867881.html

http://www.grouseriver.com/Cobra_5_Pin_TR_Sight_p/arc-000183.htm

As for a hunting rest - the WB is one of the best. It does well enough for 3D and target too, so no sense spending extra money.

rocket
04-20-2011, 09:05 AM
i think it becomes a personal preference, I like the cobra sight as well. Just bought a truglo sight. They are quite bright and have bigger pins which I like for hunting. As far as 3d some guys like the smaller pins (.019) for picking out 10x's. I think it depends what kind of shooter you are. I am really happy with a 10 or 8 on a 3d course, Others are only happy with a 10x. When shopping try and put the sight in a lower light situation and compare, You'll be surprized at how good some sights are and are not. As far as a rest NAP has a similiar rest to whisker but only holds in 3 points. I just mounted seems pretty good and doesn't mess with your fletching.

Bow Walker
04-20-2011, 09:20 AM
I hope you aren't disappointed with your rest. Ones that have brushes to hold the arrow tend to wear out pretty quick. But then again, it depends on how much you shoot.

Either Tru-Glo or Cobra will give you a rather 'inexpensive' sight that will do the job for you - until you are ready to upgrade to a premium sight that will last. I've used both and found them to be quite adequate for their purposes.

04-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Forget about cheap and get a Spott Hogg. The last sight you'll ever need.

04-21-2011, 05:16 AM
Thanks for those that replied. I think a Spot Hogg might be something in the future, but not on my budget right now.

Anybody else, I know there are a tonne of bowhunters here....:-D

Ruger4
04-21-2011, 06:43 AM
Thanks for those that replied. I think a Spot Hogg might be something in the future, but not on my budget right now.

Anybody else, I know there are a tonne of bowhunters here....:-D

I just found a lightly used mint in box 7 pin wrapped 'Hunter' Spot Hogg for $150 thats going on my EVO , there are some decent deals out there if you keep your eyes and ears peeled !!

Bow Walker
04-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Keep checking Ebay and Craigslist. Something may just show up. Don't forget about Archery Talk either.

04-21-2011, 07:48 PM
OK so there are some pretty decent deals out there. 2 more questions for y'all.

The large sight or the small sight guard? I figured I would be using 5 pins as I did before, but what is the difference in the size of the sight guard?

Also who uses what for pin size? .010, .019, or .029? When I had my compound before I was using .019 and was happy, but is there a marked difference with small pins and further distances, or should one worry about that with 3D and targets only? I figured .019 would let in a good amount of light, while not covering the game too much.

I've heard of some using .019 for their top 3 and .010 for their bottom 2.

Bow Walker
04-22-2011, 11:02 AM
A thought on the size of the sight housing...

I have a Large sight guard on my Real Deal. I wish it was a Small sight guard. The Real Deal sight doesn't extend far enough away (out in front) of the riser so that the whole of the sight guard - or the sight ring - is easily visible through a medium-sized peep hole. I've had to go to a very large peep hole to get it all in.

Now a large peep hole isn't a problem - it lets in lots of light in mornings, evenings, and shaded situations - but I do wish that the sight could extend further. So I'd advise the Small Sight Guard when ordering.

As to pin size - an all around size is the .019" size. Good for hunting and good for 3D and Target. Some guys like the .010" for 3D and Target, but my old eyes can't see it all that well. I find that the .029" pins are just a bit too big for 3D and for hunting. That larger size tends to cover most of the kill zone when you're shooting out past 20 yards at 3D's and it definitely covers the 'X' on targets that are 20 yards and better away.

When the fibers are put into the holes of the pins and then melted to form the button (or mushroom) end that keeps them in the pin hole the resulting size is often bigger than the stated pin hole size. Does that make sense? I guess what I'm recommending is the .019" size for overall shooting situations.

Colors are purely personal. I have a .019" Blue fiber in my 3D/Target bow sight (it's a single pin movable sight) which is about 10 or 12 inches long to gather lots of light. I see that blue point point of light like it was a fire in the dark. I love it. Yet some other guys can't see it at all - or at least they see it as being pretty dim. Not me.

I'm going to be re-doing my hunting sight to incorporate the blue color into most of the pins. Alternating with Orange or maybe Green.