PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scopes I Can Afford

TPB
04-19-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm sorry this topic has been beaten to death and i have done a few searches and read up on a few threads but i am wondering what people have been satisfied with. I am wrangling this summer up in the NWT and i need to find a spotting scope ( and bunch of other things) that i can afford, i am sitting around the $300 range. I know it isnt a lot of money for good quality but part time as a kid doesnt pay to much :mrgreen:. I have been looking at a few of them on Cabelas such as the Barska Gladiator and the Bushnell Trophy XLT but obviously i don't have much experience in buying this stuff. Any ideas and has anyone tried the Bushnell Imageview spotting scope? Its seem like a gimmic that would have lots of flaws but it also could be pretty cool if it worked, thanks again.

Krico
04-19-2011, 10:57 PM
A used Bushnell Elite 15-45x60. Should come in under $300. They seem to come up for sale regularly as guys upgrade.

spear
04-19-2011, 11:19 PM
I would look at vortex impact, heard mixed reviews but I think they are great for the price, well under 300

Singleshotneeded
04-19-2011, 11:42 PM
X2 on the Bushnell Elite 15-45X60, a good deal used...

bearhunter338-06
04-20-2011, 07:40 AM
I have a couple Vortex optics, Rifle scope, bino's. Very satisfied with there product. Look into them as well.

bigwhiteys
04-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Bushnell Spacemaster II. I know a few old guides who used them for sheep hunting and have seen them in other hunters packs before.

Carl

bearhunter338-06
04-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Vortex Nomad $369.99 at Grouse River Outfitters. I believe free shipping with order over $250

Magnification How many times larger an object is magnified versus the naked eye. 20-60x
Objective Lens Diameter The diameter of the light-gathering lens expressed in millimeters. The larger the number the better the resolution and the more light the optic lets in. 60mm
Exit Pupil Exit Pupil indicates available light that can enter through your pupils. The larger the number the brighter the binocular will be in low light. 1.00-3.00mm
Eye Relief Eye Relief Eye relief in a binocular refers to the distance images are projected from the ocular lens to their focal point. Note: without proper eye relief the eyeglass wearer will not see the full field of view. 14-17mm
Close Focus The minimum distance the binocular/spotting scope can focus to. 20 feet
Linear Field Of View The linear field of view at the widest dimension of the circular viewing area at 1000 Yards away. 51-114 feet
Angular Field Of View In degrees the field of view at the widest dimension of the circular viewing area at 1000 Yards away. 1.0-2.2 degrees
Weatherproofing The level of protection from natural elements. Waterproof / Fogproof
Length 13.2 inches
Weight 36.1 ounces

Sitkaspruce
04-20-2011, 08:35 AM
TPB

This little scope has been getting great reviews on Campfire and a few others.

Plus this is a great place to buy from and with our $$ what it is, it will save you even more. Give them a phone call and ask them their opinions on what you are looking for, Joel and Doug are great guys who know their stuff.

Check out the demo models.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62226

Also check out their demo models for other scopes.

If not then I would second the old spacemaster, I had one a regret getting rid of it. Stay away from the Barska, crappy scope.

Cheers

SS

markt308
04-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Vortex Nomad $369.99 at Grouse River Outfitters. I believe free shipping with order over $250

Magnification How many times larger an object is magnified versus the naked eye. 20-60x
Objective Lens Diameter The diameter of the light-gathering lens expressed in millimeters. The larger the number the better the resolution and the more light the optic lets in. 60mm
Exit Pupil Exit Pupil indicates available light that can enter through your pupils. The larger the number the brighter the binocular will be in low light. 1.00-3.00mm
Eye Relief Eye Relief Eye relief in a binocular refers to the distance images are projected from the ocular lens to their focal point. Note: without proper eye relief the eyeglass wearer will not see the full field of view. 14-17mm
Close Focus The minimum distance the binocular/spotting scope can focus to. 20 feet
Linear Field Of View The linear field of view at the widest dimension of the circular viewing area at 1000 Yards away. 51-114 feet
Angular Field Of View In degrees the field of view at the widest dimension of the circular viewing area at 1000 Yards away. 1.0-2.2 degrees
Weatherproofing The level of protection from natural elements. Waterproof / Fogproof
Length 13.2 inches
Weight 36.1 ounces

x2 the nomad is pretty much condsidered the best spotting scope even close to the price range you are looking at. Nice thing is you can actually still see through it when it's zoomed in all the way. Most other scopes in that price range you lose visability at about 50x zoom. This is the one buddy. look into it. good luck up north

ElectricDyck
04-20-2011, 09:54 AM
I have a Bushnell elite, it's a nice light compact functional scope for the money. There was one on craigslist last year for $200. Well worth it for that price. The optics are quite poor after 30x magnification, but it works to identify an object that looks like it could be an animal in your binos.

700 yards:

cainer
04-20-2011, 02:49 PM
x 3 Nomad. Works well for the 400 buck range. Here's a little moosie at around 600-650 yards.

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr331/cainer1/DSC00038.jpg

BromBones
04-20-2011, 05:41 PM
The Impact is one of the best scopes under the $400 range, and it's tougher than shit.

yukon john
04-20-2011, 06:48 PM
X2 on the Bushnell Elite 15-45X60, a good deal used...
X3 thats all I used for my first years guiding, plenty tough and decent glass for the price

huntcoop
04-20-2011, 10:36 PM
I have a Bausch & Lomb Elite 15-45x60. It has a straight eye piece and also has the original zippered cover that says Bausch & Lomb on the side in gold stitching.

I don't use it anymore, PM me if interested........

coach
04-20-2011, 10:53 PM
If your heart is set on Vortex, I'll sell you my Impact so I can upgrade to the Nomad. Or, you can do what I should have done and just buy a Nomad.

bubba350
04-21-2011, 12:04 AM
I second that I love mine. I also bought the high country tripod

Length 13.2 inches
Weight 36.1 ounces

troutseeker
04-21-2011, 01:35 AM
If your heart is set on Vortex, I'll sell you my Impact so I can upgrade to the Nomad. Or, you can do what I should have done and just buy a Nomad.

I own a Nomad and it is a good scope. Hard to do better for the money. I am very pleased with it's image clarity.

I had to use the Vortex warranty (my fault, I stepped on the eyepiece...), and it was as advertized, no hassles and a pretty quick turnaround. I did tell the it was my fault and offered to pay for what I broke, they fixed it at no cost.

eaglesnester
04-21-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm sorry this topic has been beaten to death and i have done a few searches and read up on a few threads but i am wondering what people have been satisfied with. I am wrangling this summer up in the NWT and i need to find a spotting scope ( and bunch of other things) that i can afford, i am sitting around the $300 range. I know it isnt a lot of money for good quality but part time as a kid doesnt pay to much :mrgreen:. I have been looking at a few of them on Cabelas such as the Barska Gladiator and the Bushnell Trophy XLT but obviously i don't have much experience in buying this stuff. Any ideas and has anyone tried the Bushnell Imageview spotting scope? Its seem like a gimmic that would have lots of flaws but it also could be pretty cool if it worked, thanks again.Here is my take on the subject. I am sure that many on this forum will disagree with me. Spend the most you can afford on a spotting scope, you get what you pay for. A 300 dollar spotting scope will become next to useless after hours of looking through it scanning for game. The headachs and eye strain from the poor quality glass will be a huge disadvantage. As an example I have a 1000 dollar Pentax 20X60-80MM spotting scope and the quality of the image on 60 power is not the best. Pentax glass is about as good as it gets. I have been using Pentex products for 40 years and have never ever experience a low quality product. What I am trying to get at here is that spotting scopes by their nature are difficult and expensive to manufacture do not cheap out here buy the best and most expensive you can afford. Spotting scops start to get better at 2000 dollars and up.

TPB
04-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Here is my take on the subject. I am sure that many on this forum will disagree with me. Spend the most you can afford on a spotting scope, you get what you pay for. A 300 dollar spotting scope will become next to useless after hours of looking through it scanning for game. The headachs and eye strain from the poor quality glass will be a huge disadvantage. As an example I have a 1000 dollar Pentax 20X60-80MM spotting scope and the quality of the image on 60 power is not the best. Pentax glass is about as good as it gets. I have been using Pentex products for 40 years and have never ever experience a low quality product. What I am trying to get at here is that spotting scopes by their nature are difficult and expensive to manufacture do not cheap out here buy the best and most expensive you can afford. Spotting scops start to get better at 2000 dollars and up.

I understand that fully but not to confuse you i am 16 and $2000 is a lot of money to come up with working a part time job with minimum hours, 300-400 is still a lot when i have to buy a pack, camera, a few other things, and then hopefully i can borrow some clothing.

Buck
04-21-2011, 05:25 PM
I would suggest the Bushnell elite 15x45x60 it is a good scope that you will be able to field judge animals with.And no one will look down on that scope it's tried and true.

Mugger
04-22-2011, 09:57 AM
I have a space master you can have for a 100.00 bucks.

alecvg
04-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Save up your money and buy something good. The cheap stuff is a waste of weight in my opinion. My dad was on a guided hunt in Wyoming that he got as a gift, we was with his guide, his guide was sitting with a swaravski counting the points on a elk at well over 1000 yards, while my dad was there with a cheapo spotting scope barely making out if the elk had antlers. I would save up and buy something nicer.

eaglesj
04-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Guy I know bought a $100 spotting scope at Cosco and it is clearer to see through than my Bushnell I bought for about $250.

mod7rem
04-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Just buy what you can afford and use it. There's plenty of time in your life to upgrade as you can. There is always going to be something better. The nice thing about optics is you can always sell them. If you buy a $400 dollar spotter now, use it for 2-3 years you will probably get $250 for it. $150 dollars for a few years use is no big deal, then you upgrade as you can.

SHACK
04-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Bushnell Elite 15-45x60 is the way to go, for the price tag, the size, and the quality its hard to beat. It will be a scope you can count on for many years to come, or until you decide to upgrade or recieve a Swaro for a tip LOL

Blockcaver
04-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Mugger's Spacemaster sounds like a great deal to me. When I first started sheep hunting over 30 years ago a friend loaned us one. It was pretty good as I recall with the zoom eye piece, and reasonably packable. I'd look into it if on a budget. The first scope I owned was a 20x50mm fixed power Bushnell and those rams looked really good in it!

ElectricDyck
04-25-2011, 10:54 AM
It sounds like the consensus is the more you can budget toward better quality optics the better it will perform, but a spotting scope is better than no spotting scope.I found it hard to judge optics in a store or at an outdoors show as there is usually very limited distance so if anyone wants to look through my elite 15-45, send me a pm, I can see about 600 yards off my back deck. Or if someone wants to let me look through their better quality scope I'd be game.

SimilkameenSlayer
05-01-2011, 08:43 AM
RAZOR HD TACTICAL SPOTTING SCOPE
Vortex (http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/scopes/spotting-scopes/razor-hd-tactical-spotting-scope/prod280490.html)

for $64.99 must be a mistake. :confused::confused:

edit, it's the carry case.

Singleshotneeded
05-01-2011, 10:34 AM
I remember this past season a guy had the Meade 20-60X60 that he got at Costco for $69 plus tax. It wasn't too far behind the Bushnell Elite scope and this other guy's high end Leupold. They only bring them in the second half of August for hunting season, but if you want one sooner you can order one from Amazon for $69 and $20 shipping. It's probably the best bang-for-the-buck out there, and most likely couldn't be beat for less than $450. If money is tight I'd go with the Meade, or see if you can find a used Bushnell Elite.

stoneguide
05-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Cant go wrong with the bushnell elite. Ive used them lots. Get top quality binos before you spend big money on a spotter.
I also carried a spacemaster for alot of years, it judged animals just as good as anything else.
Pretty much any of the scopes others have suggested will work fine for an entry level scope. Then with the tips you make save and slowly upgrade your gear.
Do a great job for the hunters in camp and maybe they will leave you a scope.

SG

dedapair
05-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Check out "Longrange hunting.com" there is an outfit having a sale on Vortex optics. They have two models of spotting scopes listed...decent pricing.

Cheers

SimilkameenSlayer
05-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 12-36x 50mm Spotting Scope - 78-6351ED (http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/Product+Detail/Cameras.htm?BreadCrumbs=Cameras;Cameras;Binoculars %20and%20Telescopes;Spotting%20Telescopes;Bushnell %20Legend%20Ultra%20HD%2012-36x%2050mm%20Spotting%20Scope%20-%2078-6351ED&ProductID=4231247&ProductTab=3)

i picked one up to day seems to work very well, great clarity! it was on "sale". :)

sheep newbee
06-14-2011, 10:33 PM
I have a Nomad in brand new condition, barely used and I ask 250 for it, pm me if interested. Also I have a new condition badland OX backpack( Large) for 300( it's a 500 dollars pack).

lnelson
06-15-2011, 09:13 AM
I just picked up a Minox ED50 from cameralandny. I am very impressed with it, tiny and pretty good optics too.

Elkaholic
06-15-2011, 02:17 PM
You may want to take a look at Vanguard products. True Flite archery here in Cranbrook sells them. Here is the one I purchased for 380 and some change. http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/os/products/hunting-outdoor/detail-2-10-99-249.html Great scope for price.

Iron Sighted
06-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Theron Optics has had nothing but great reviews on the Optics Talk forum from all the gurus there, the pricing is dirt cheap on them too for the features they come with, I believe they have three spotters to choose from and two different types of binos. Disclaimer for those who care, they are made in China.

mrak
06-19-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm sorry this topic has been beaten to death and i have done a few searches and read up on a few threads but i am wondering what people have been satisfied with. I am wrangling this summer up in the NWT and i need to find a spotting scope ( and bunch of other things) that i can afford, i am sitting around the $300 range. I know it isnt a lot of money for good quality but part time as a kid doesnt pay to much :mrgreen:. I have been looking at a few of them on Cabelas such as the Barska Gladiator and the Bushnell Trophy XLT but obviously i don't have much experience in buying this stuff. Any ideas and has anyone tried the Bushnell Imageview spotting scope? Its seem like a gimmic that would have lots of flaws but it also could be pretty cool if it worked, thanks again.

i have a Elite 15x45x60 for under 300.00

BCBear
06-22-2011, 07:19 PM
I've read great things about this US company http://www.alpenoptics.com/products/alpen_spotting_scopes.shtml

BiG Boar
06-22-2011, 07:34 PM
http://www.leupold.com/observation/products/spotting-scopes/

I spent an hour the other day with the ventana angled scope. It was surprisingly wicked. It should be in your price range and you know you're buying quality glass. I would recommend it for the price. Definitely get angled though. No comparison.

springpin
06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Just bought a Bushnell Spacemaster 15x45x60 from a friend in beautiful shape....150 bucks. works great!