PDA

View Full Version : pilots (helicopters\whatever)

GreatWhitePopogeebo
04-19-2011, 08:51 PM
My question is these guys have all the knowledge u know drainages whatever the case may be where certain animals may be so is it legal for these guys to tell friends etc. where these creatures are??

Deaddog
04-19-2011, 08:56 PM
yup...legal as the day is long

Iltasyuko
04-19-2011, 09:00 PM
It it ever was illegal I have no idea how such a law could be enforced.

kyleklassen
04-19-2011, 09:03 PM
membership has privleges.

McSledder
04-19-2011, 10:04 PM
I have heard that you cant hunt that particular animal the day it was spotted from the air

boxhitch
04-19-2011, 10:37 PM
My question is these guys have all the knowledge u know drainages whatever the case may be where certain animals may be so is it legal for these guys to tell friends etc. where these creatures are??

I have heard that you cant hunt that particular animal the day it was spotted from the air
It just keeps getting better......

hunter1947
04-20-2011, 02:22 AM
I am 100% sure that spotting animals from a plane or chopper has always been done but this is the question how does any one know where the pilot spotted the animals and then go hunt them a pilot can and will look at many places when he or she is in the air...

Darksith
04-20-2011, 05:40 AM
GPS co-ordinates work great for communication of locations. That being said, who is gonna hire a chopper at $1200/h to go spot animals for them? I believe (I could be misinformed) that if you are riding in an aircraft you must wait 24h before hunting? If you've never been in a heli then you don't understand how you almost must be looking for animals to spot them. Sure you'll notice a big black moose in a white or lighter swamp, but you will not see most of the animals you fly over. Same with hikers that get lost, search and rescue aircraft have a hard time spotting anyone on the ground without assistance from smoke or bright colors.

bcyukonair
04-20-2011, 08:40 AM
GPS co-ordinates work great for communication of locations. That being said, who is gonna hire a chopper at $1200/h to go spot animals for them? I believe (I could be misinformed) that if you are riding in an aircraft you must wait 24h before hunting? If you've never been in a heli then you don't understand how you almost must be looking for animals to spot them. Sure you'll notice a big black moose in a white or lighter swamp, but you will not see most of the animals you fly over. Same with hikers that get lost, search and rescue aircraft have a hard time spotting anyone on the ground without assistance from smoke or bright colors.

must wait 6 hours

GreatWhitePopogeebo
04-20-2011, 09:17 AM
The same guy willing to pay 10k to kill whatever i mean i could care less i was a work the other day and this just came to my head so buddy hires a chopper for one hour to spot a heard of caribou somewhere who cares just an example could b used for anything up in the air u cover a lot of ground and a lot of leg work anyways i dont want this to get crazy it was just a thought. You got to admit kyle is kinda right membership does have its privliges i guess its no different than a guy whos shot 10 sheep then one day take his friend for a walk in there back yard anyways so has anyone ever done it.

lovemywinchester
04-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Its an interesting point. I was talking to a hunting lodge owner and he told me they can`t tell guests where to go as it is considered guiding. They have to be careful in the way they give tips to people. Just what was told to me.

CanuckShooter
04-20-2011, 09:35 AM
The same guy willing to pay 10k to kill whatever i mean i could care less i was a work the other day and this just came to my head so buddy hires a chopper for one hour to spot a heard of caribou somewhere who cares just an example could b used for anything up in the air u cover a lot of ground and a lot of leg work anyways i dont want this to get crazy it was just a thought. You got to admit kyle is kinda right membership does have its privliges i guess its no different than a guy whos shot 10 sheep then one day take his friend for a walk in there back yard anyways so has anyone ever done it.

SURE, was flying home from Vancouver on a Westjet flight and saw some wild animals from the air....google earthed the spot later that day and wham-pow another hunting hot spot told lots of my buddies about my find!!! The government cannot suppress knowledge, it doesn't matter where it comes from or how it was attained!!!!

CanuckShooter
04-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Its an interesting point. I was talking to a hunting lodge owner and he told me they can`t tell guests where to go as it is considered guiding. They have to be careful in the way they give tips to people. Just what was told to me.

OMG...we cannot tell each other good hunny holes anymore or we are considered to be guiding??? All this legal mumbo-jumbo stuff is getting out of hand.

Amphibious
04-20-2011, 07:00 PM
I've given buddies tips from places I fly. it's totally legal. you wouldn't belive some of the blacktail i see landing on forestry pads in the squamish river valley. my hiking boots can barely wait for fall ;)

now if I am being PAID by a hunter or outfitter to specifically spot game, that's not kosher....

Whisky Creek
04-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Myself, I always fly with my eyes closed to avoid this very situation.......................:)

Something to ponder; how is it any different than a local hunter hunting for moose in an area where they've seen a big bull cross the road a few times while driving their logging truck???? Or, a fisherman hunting for bear in an area where he has seen a big boar cruising the beach of a coastal inlet a few times. If you work in the field, you are going to have the local knowledge advantage over someone who doesn't. Nothing illegal or unethical about it.....

Having said that, someone else pretty much said it "spot on" earlier. Unless you are looking hard for critters, you don't often spot them from the air. It is hard enough seeing them when you are trying to at low speeds, low altitudes and conducting wildlife surveys with 4 sets of eyes in the machine.

srupp
04-21-2011, 07:17 PM
actually flying in a chopper, once you are used to it..spotting isnt all that bad...dont miss many moose, or bears, and lots of cariboo..oh ya the sheep.....after 3 decades..kinda know which side of the chopper to look out and when,,,,, lol..

cheers
Steven

flyhigh_206
04-22-2011, 02:41 AM
must wait 6 hours

i thought the law was you had to wait atleast 24 hours unless it was a regular commercial flight

Squamch
04-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Page 16 of the regs
"it is unlawful" points 24, 25, and 26 should cover this.

Whisky Creek
04-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Page 18 of the 2010-2012 Regs, as above

ryanb
04-22-2011, 12:38 PM
If you're going to make a statement about hunting regulations, why don't you have a look whether it's accurate or not. They make a book that has it all written down for you, and it's even accessible in electronic form on the internet which I know you can use because you are reading this post...

bandit
04-22-2011, 04:34 PM

They can tell guests where to go, they just arent allowed to charge extra for it. They can even come along with you and show their honey holes if you ask nice enough. Might be just the lodge onwer didnt want to help you out??
So as long as you are paying the same rental rates as non-hunting folk it shouldnt be a problem (as a CO told a lodge owner I stayed at last year)

Caribou_lou
04-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Here's a question for the pilots... a little off topic but I'm just curious. If a pilot were to get a DUI (while in a vehicle), Would it effect there licence to fly?

vortex
04-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Here's a question for the pilots... a little off topic but I'm just curious. If a pilot were to get a DUI (while in a vehicle), Would it effect there licence to fly?

Yes, if the judge is so inclined I believe he can remove a pilots licence as well as a drivers licence. Apparently not very common but that ability is there.
As for spotting game from an aircraft, I've been fortunate enough to see a big part of our province through the front window of a helicopter and spotting game is not nearly as easy or common as some people imagine...but there are some spots...:mrgreen:

fearless
04-25-2011, 07:23 PM
I spent many many many hours flying to work in helicopter never missed much .

Caribou_lou
04-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Yes, if the judge is so inclined I believe he can remove a pilots licence as well as a drivers licence. Apparently not very common but that ability is there.

One more question. Would their Helicopter licence be suspended if their Drivers licence was?

kgriz
04-25-2011, 11:27 PM
"They can tell guests where to go, they just arent allowed to charge extra for it. They can even come along with you and show their honey holes if you ask nice enough. Might be just the lodge onwer didnt want to help you out??
So as long as you are paying the same rental rates as non-hunting folk it shouldnt be a problem (as a CO told a lodge owner I stayed at last year) "

Really? How would this not also work for a horse-packer????? Surely they can't "come along and specifically show you their honey holes " so to speak....would just be cheap guiding wouldn't it.
For that matter wouldn't that be the same for jet-boat charters....say for sheep hunting?

GreatWhitePopogeebo
04-26-2011, 07:44 AM
I kind of agree with you on the packer taking u to certain spots kgriz but a guy in a jet boat dropping u off in an area and your own thats a little different dont u think

kgriz
04-26-2011, 07:49 AM
many people seem to think horse packers are more inclined to be guiding, I was just pointing out that if you "help out" lots, you're pushing the limits no matter what your mode of trasportation is....plus I could really care less...don't really like the act of guiding that much....but what I can't stand is preaching being a perfect law-abiding citizen and chastizing all of the dirty "poachers" and then bending the rules to suit ones personal needs